Search results

1. Guillaume53

Thoughts on fine tuning a digital system to sound analogue

@robert. Nice write up and I agree this is a sound methodology and it is possible that many of us follow it even if subconsciously. I also like/love classical .. I however cannot listen for prolonged times to the old Masters, eg Bach, Beethoven, Mozart anymore, but I do love the new Masters...
  2. Guillaume53

A swinging crazy impedance curve of speakers is much worse for SS than for valves. And i will have a chat with the father of my amp coz its a mosfet output design which non technically speaking is not quite SS..
  3. Guillaume53

Well, i suggest a read as in the two links im pasting below. In the mean time : i drove my 57s with a Leak ST60 with El34 in it in strapped triode ..i sold my B&W speakers the 57s replaced in a heartbeat. Yet, not until now with a 150w mosfet integrated did i fully explore the impedance crazy...
  4. Guillaume53

Mashaffer, you are absolutely right and by the book .. It is just the case of me ignoring all this and trusting my ears, more and more and for years that is.. I also studied the theory and it got me nowhere to be honest - at least in HiFi. So TIM and all that - I don't know where it is here, but...
  5. Guillaume53

Hi Wayne, In my setup I have close to 0 digital / sterile sound coming out of the source, it was tested in a few setups. And I must also reiterate my absolute conviction that any "signal enhancement" should be done in the digital domain and not in the analogue - as in my original post. That is...
  6. Guillaume53

Good Dave. it was a rhetoric question for "waking up the dead" ..
  7. Guillaume53

Yes !! And there is more .. not only we do not hear normally "the numbers os the terribly big numbers" of distortion, but no-one wants to report, via measurement i guess - on the following : 1. Which harmonics are delivered by the amplifier, how much and why, eg effect of the NFB component on...
  8. Guillaume53

And I cannot but echo Mashaffer comments above, and would like to offer heartfelt further analogies in support : 1. In photography : the worst measuring (according to accepted criteria) photographs / style of shooting and processing are often the most loved ! Examples many .. 2. In non-invasive...
  9. Guillaume53

Dave, I am 100% with you here, just that the original request was more into how do we achieve the "analogue awesome imperfection" when presented with files and a DAC - and I proposed the 80/20 short path to getting there, based on personal experience mostly. It was a proposed debate precisely...
  10. Guillaume53

Only if technical was enough .. Technically when your total cholesterol goes over 5, your doc puts you on statins, as per some technical book (Harissons) - which is the worse thing your doc does from non-technical but heart health prolonging perspective. One example. And the more fitting one is...
  11. Guillaume53

Thank you datafore, you nailed it - I'm here often and at times with questioning myself why I opened this can of whims, and at times disappointed - when reading comments like above - what do you want me to say further sqlsaviour ?? Do you agree or disagree with my original post, point by point...
  12. Guillaume53

Oh no ! I wrote it then but only read it now.. :rflmao: @tmtomh Great idea just that it is for seriously sounding digital systems. Here, it comes as sweet as a 45 on a SME
  13. Guillaume53

And all valve and hybrid amps should sound the same too, according to your reasoning .. Yesterday, I just decided for fun to change my single driver tube in my integrated, which is 6922 type, with something else - and hear what happens. Did not take me long - after 2,3 tubes I had on hand and...
  14. Guillaume53

@datafone You are spot on ! I've been doing this to all my amps, for amazing improvement towards unveil the missing detail and uncongest everything .. Just that not all respond that well to the 0 NFB mod, some require little in place still. Even a "simple" Auricap in place of the decoupling...
  15. Guillaume53

@quite & @dcgibby : :beerchug: @KentTeffeteller & @JOE : there is a vinyl rip and then there is a vinyl rip. I've thrown away quite a few vinyl rips in my collection and kept the correpsonding CD rips instead. Most Jap CD releases will outshine the original vinyl releases of same material. A...
  16. Guillaume53

Im afraid i have to respectfully disagree with you, Joe It is all about data, frequencies, coloration, and harmonics. A perfect file (many such abound) into a top DAC into a Jadis or whatever super valve amp into top electrostats or into many new and old wonderful moving coils WILL sound as...
  17. Guillaume53

Hi Robert Thank you for elaborate reply which is quite off the subject but i feel i should reply to your question, and just clarify few things further : I listen to jazz classic and the likes, incl prog rock. ECM is close to the golden standard for me in mastering, just short of vinyl in the...
  18. Guillaume53

I’ve been fighting daemons in the past week or so, mostly concerned with my source. I also tested critically the SR XOTs today, in my ESL57 system, to largely a disappointment with the results. On with the point : in my now growing experience with digital sources, and here I refer to file...
  19. Guillaume53

Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

Hi Nixxuz, I'm awaiting a duo of Burson V6 Vivids next month, and not touching the valve at this point, but only later, and yes, with the one you recommend above. In the meantime, I have to share with those on Mac servers, that the latest Amarra Luxe delivered in spades, exactly how I wanted it...
  20. Guillaume53

Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

Chris, this does not look right .. I have a D2 which was shipped with the upgraded 5670, which has the green print of GE JAN 5670W, and looks very much like the tubes you bought on Ebay. The upgrade GE JAN 5670W is claimed to be an excellent tube by many, I can attest to that, although I have...
  21. Guillaume53

Are new production Gold Lion KT88’s the best?

Hi Dave Thanks for comment. Here is my reply coming from old - not very current experience in the matter, but verified with "designer-gods" here at the time and by my ears. I'll keep it like short and dry so we keep the focus on - below some facts, and some rules of the thumb i arrived at in...
  22. Guillaume53

Thank you Drummerboy. I was leaning towards the GLs, after reading online form various forums - the vote for them. and also considering their very affordable price. I'm going to get a matched quad from somewhere and see how it goes. I'll also will have to rebias the amp - it's set right now for...
  23. Guillaume53

List of DACs Under $450

How could you miss the following DACs is beyond me : 1. TubeMagic D2, w/ the tube and Burson opamps upgrade 2. IfI iDac2- alone or in tandem with iTube2 I have them both in certain stage of upgrade and do not want to hear anything else, especially if it is > $1500 .. The upgrades on their way...
  24. Guillaume53

Wow, you sound very patronizing and determined to be 100% right! From the word go in our first date .. Strong and determined. like saying you are so confused my boy, let me tell you how it really is .. (this is an edit) I am very aware of what removing NFB does, but in addition to stability...
Back
Top Bottom