Search results

1. infullview

Just discovered Rachael Price of Lake Street Dive

Found her on YouTube, but also found her on Spotify. Just got back from a business trip. Couldn't wait to hear here again on my Wharfedale W70E's. She sounds great. She does a lot of covers but also has some original material. Anyone else out there that listens to her?
  2. infullview

Mystery cartridge identification

I just purchased an old Pioneer belt drive table PL S30, but I don't see any identifying numbers on the cartridge body. It's silver with a white plastic face on the stylus insert. The only thing on it is a large silver E on the stylus insert. Cartridge body is rectangular and similar in size to...
  3. infullview

DC Offset under load?

I have a Yamaha RX-E100 that I was using to power my Wharfedale W70e's. The speaker on the left channel would occasionally make a clacking sound when driven very had with a lot of bass. I assumed that it was an issue with the speaker, thinking that it might just be a weak spider or surround...
  4. infullview

Toshiba SA-750 with speaker protection relay retrofit.

After sitting in my closet for more than a year I thought it was time to pay this unit a little respect. I'd never powered it up after purchase, just squirreled it away and didn't even know if it worked. I brought it up slowly on the Varic with a 100 watt dim bulb tester, and much to my...
  5. infullview

Panic! Lost a hard drive on my RAID 5 multi-media server

I decided to check the health of my home streaming server, and much to my horror I found the RAID 5 running in degraded mode with one disk completely dead. I didn't even have a backup disk big enough to hold all my music, audio books, TV, and movie library so ordered an 8 TB drive from Amazon...
  6. infullview

Need help finding a push pull input transformer for 45 tubes with 27 tube primary

Can anyone tell me where I can source something that would be compatible for these tubes? I'm trying to restore an old Philco Model 76 and just found out that one leg of the secondary is open (Philco part no. 3872). Any help appreciated.
  7. infullview

Low-end receiver restoration from hell

When my sister went to college in the early 80's I gifted her a small Technics SA-104 receiver adequate for a dorm room. Little did I know that she would hold on to this well past college, through marriage and divorce, and remarry. Imagine my surprise when she handed me this totally filthy...
  8. infullview

Yamaha RX-E100 Rant

Before I start my rant let me say that I really like this unit. However, it has one almost unforgivable fault that sometimes makes me want to hit it with a sledge hammer. Who ever the genius was that designed the protection circuit didn't account for dynamics or that a speaker can dip below...
  9. infullview

What to do with Heathkit oddball - W7-A

I went to a flea market this weekend and was delighted to find a Heathkit W7-A for a reasonable price (only one tube in it of course). What I didn't expect was how difficult it might be to ever find another one. It seems this was the last model of the Williamson amps, and I don't think many...
  10. infullview

Another speaker identification, Bose?

I have a friend who had these hanging in his gallery space for a long time. He asked me if I wanted them, but I'm not even sure they're worth having. I did some google searches and came up pretty empty so I'm gonna throw this out there to all you good AK folks to see if you can tell me anything...
  11. infullview

Just picked up a Tandberg 3500X

Found it on one of those auction sites for $55. It looked to be in physically nice shape in the pictures w/rosewood sides. I started this thread because all the threads referencing this model are 10 or more years old. Are there people out there still using this deck, and does anyone have any...
  12. infullview

Spotify Basic vs Vinyl

I'm sure this has been covered somewhat in other threads, but I just had to expound on my recent listing experience using these two sources with the same material. I wanted to hear Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane so I put the album on Spotify and it just didn't sound right -...
  13. infullview

What's up with the Yamaha R-500 ?

I got this nice little receiver at the local flea for about $20. It cleaned up great. All I had to do was repair the dial light, and deoxit/lube the controls . The silver face, knobs, and wooden case are VG with no vinyl peeling on the cabinet at all. It even has the rare AM loop antenna that...
  14. infullview

What's up with Harman Kardon?

Are they going out of business? I just looked at their website and they only had two AV receivers listed and both of them were marked "Sold Out". Also, I noticed NewEgg no longer has them listed in their AV search filter. I know they are a subsidiary of Samsung; have they decided to give up the...
  15. infullview

Need help with Sony TC-580

I just picked up a TC 580. The owner claimed it had been serviced about 10 years ago and hadn't been touched since. Got it home and brought it up slowly on the variac. Started off by evaluating what worked by manually engaging the tape sense switches on either side of the head assembly. After...
  16. infullview

HK825 repair and restoration project

So I'm finally getting some time to continue with some of my projects. I picked up an HK825 and matching HK870 amp last summer at a flea market. I got the preamp home and decided to bring it up on the dim bulb tester and dialed it up slowly on my variac. Before turning it on, I took the cover...
  17. infullview

Speaker crossover build question, trimming an inductor

I am currently re-creating a set of crossovers originally designed for the Wharfedale W70E. I have an entire box full of air core inductors that my brother purchased many years ago from Madisound. I found two out of the three values I needed (a .3mH and a 4.0 mH) and need two 1.25 mH inductors...
  18. infullview

David Bogen DB20 only 20 watts?

I recently purchased a Bogen DB20 amp at my local flea market. It's hard for me to believe this only delivers 20 watts. The OPT is as big as a house! Can anyone tell me what actual rated power/distortion specs this may have?
  19. infullview

Equivalent cost to fuel an electric car

I was watching a video of the Nissan Leaf vs the Tesla Model 3. At the end of the video they talked about relative charging times. It turns out that it takes 35 hours at 12 Amps and 115 volts to charge the Leaf. As a thought experiment I decided to calculate the actual cost of that charge. In...
  20. infullview

Need help identifying this Paradigm speaker model

Just got these at a flea market. They look to be in nice shape but there's no model ID on them. I found one site that had a picture that matches and the URL lists this as paradigm monitor series. Anyone out there have any idea what these are, and most importantly - how to remove the grill if...
  21. infullview

Heathkit A9 Pair - what's the best thing to do with these

I paid $240 for two mono units. Should I bother to restore these or mod them into something better, or just get rid of them?
  22. infullview

Heathkit A9C pair - were they worth what I paid?

I just purchased a pair of A9C mono amps for $240 from another collector. Are they worth it? I was dissapointed to see they were only rated for 20w, and apparently these were regarded as "low end". These units both have the big black OPT and PT. Feedback please. If these aren't going to be...
  23. infullview

Another idea for protecting the rectifier tube

I'm not sure if this idea has already been discussed so please forgive me if it has. I was thinking about the capacitive loading on on something like a 5U4 or 80 tube and how you might be able to get away with increasing the size of the main filter cap as well as protecting the rectifier tube...
  24. infullview

Tax day shell shock

As a life long procrastinator, I waited until April 14th to start on my taxes. Pulled all the documents together, sat down in front of my computer, turned on the monitor - the screen flickered and went black. Inverter board died. Scrounged up and old ratty 19 inch monitor to use, but it only...
  25. infullview

Has anyone ever tried to repair a deformed Voice Coil?

I have a 15 inch woofer from a W70E that someone applied to much power to for a sustained amount of time. The speaker isn't burned out, but it's rubbing when you press it in gently. I was able to unbolt the magnet structure to inspect the VC to see what happened. The VC wire got hot enough to...
Back
Top Bottom