Search results

1. cactuscowboy

AT-LP120 and Technics Sl-1200 MK2

Not everyone wants to wake up at 6:00 AM on Saturday and go hit 20+ yard sales. Fewer yet have the people skills to interact with the folks out there and ask all the right questions that lead to the 'gems.' There's a few on this forum who've bought high end vintage turntables for twenty bucks...
  2. cactuscowboy

Flea Market Find

My parents were huge Baroque era fans, so as a kid in the '60s I was exposed to tons of Bach and Vivaldi. You're probably already familiar with organist E. Power Biggs, but if not, definitely grab any of his records that you see out there.
  3. cactuscowboy

Flea Market Find

Nice finds! Can't go wrong with Walter Kraft organ records and that is a very impressive set. I like Al Hirt's earlier Dixieland records, before he went in a more commercial direction, so that should be a good set as well.
  4. cactuscowboy

This coming from the guy who repeatedly insists that we all need to drive down to the local hi fi salon and LISTEN TO turntables before we're qualified to offer an opinion on this forum?! Maybe you don't like the "attitude" you imagine Technics owners have, but your attitude comes through...
  5. cactuscowboy

How much was vinyl in 1969?

Funny you should mention "suzy creamcheese." My little sister's name is Susan and that part of the record definitely freaked her out.
  6. cactuscowboy

Looking at the inflation calculator, the $200 I'd saved up for my first stereo in 1971 would be over $1,100 in today's dollars. I'd been visiting the local hi fi shop for months, stopping in at least every week. If it was slow with no 'real customers' in the shop, the salesman would...
  7. cactuscowboy

How about the Columbia Record Club? I forget the exact details, but it was something crazy like send in $1, receive a dozen LPs and then get hooked into buying one every month at 'regular price' for the rest of your life. :) The problem was, the Record Club would just send stuff I was not...
  8. cactuscowboy

what cart is on your SL 1200 mk2?

marcmorin is getting forgetful... can't remember which room his SL-1200 is in. :) Here's a few favorite cartridges that I use on my KAB modified SL-1200MK5: Stanton 500 w/seven different styli - for spinning 78s. Ortofon Concorde w/D25M stylus or Grado ME+ - for spinning mono 45s and...
  9. cactuscowboy

dustcover up or down

I did a number of tests and transfers to WAV files to explore this issue. My conclusions were the same, there's no audible difference whether on or off. At least with the two turntables I tested, a Technics SL-1200MK5 and a JVC QL-A7. Maybe it's an issue with certain turntables placed in...
  10. cactuscowboy

I'd rather see a comparison between the Audio Technica and some of those turntables costing twice as much such as Rega, Project, and MMF. Not just 'how they sound' but also direct comparison of features & capabilities.
  11. cactuscowboy

Which table to get

"Dustbuster" was a small felt covered cylinder that rides on a tonearm-like pivot. You set it on the beginning of the record as you begin playback and it will sweep dust off the record as it plays. It was a popular accessory back in the 70s. Not really needed if you're rigorous about keeping...
  12. cactuscowboy

Which table to get

In a prior post you wrote: It sounds like it's already in effect been restored. Perhaps the best approach is to bring a favorite 'test record' and listen to the AR XA prior to purchase. Does it hold accurate speed? Any noticeable wow/flutter or rumble? I'd also closely examine the...
  13. cactuscowboy

Stanton stylus issue

You need to take a 10x loupe and carefully inspect the stylus. I'm willing to bet you'll find a fiber or hair wrapped around or hanging on the side of the stylus. Although I'm very thorough about keeping my styli clean, I run into this problem on occasion and it will produce very loud random...
  14. cactuscowboy

Thrift Score

:thmbsp:Killer score!:thmbsp: Bootleg Stooges on red wax! What a find.
  15. cactuscowboy

Are 3d printed tonearms in our future?

It seems a very good and cost effective method for short production runs of high-priced items (like tonearms) where sales volume is too small to support tool making and more traditional manufacturing methods.
  16. cactuscowboy

Post a picture of your record collection

Here's a photo snapped this morning. 142 running feet of shelving holding 9,000+ LPs. These are the "A" to "Z" sections with Rock, Pop, Folk, Blues, Jazz, and Country Western all together and arranged alphabetically by artist. All of these records have been cleaned on a DIY RCM and are in...
  17. cactuscowboy

Ortofon - LM stylus on an OM cartridge

LM = low mass. There's nothing radically different other than weight of the cartridge. Any of the "OM" series styli will fit the LM body.
  18. cactuscowboy

Self service

I owned and used a TX2 for many years. I would not assume that the arm needs lubrication. If it's working fine, then leave it alone. I never had to relube the arm on mine in eighteen years of heavy use. There are two belts. One driving the platter and a second smaller one that positions...
  19. cactuscowboy

Interesting thread, thank you Arcorob for taking the time to do this. I could, if I desired, do a similiar comparison. I have a good friend with an Audio Technica ATPL120. I own a Technics SL-1200MK5. My Technics is loaded up with many KAB mods, so I don't know that it would be a "fair"...
  20. cactuscowboy

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Spinning a stack of 78s tonight. Right now: The Ink Spots - Nothin'/Someone's Rocking My Dream Boat, Decca 4045 Great record from 1941. :music:
  21. cactuscowboy

Pioneer PL-50 Goodwill find

$150?! Yes, they're getting greedy. The damn stuff is DONATED after all. I bought a beautiful Elac Miracord in wood base with lift-off dustcover for $3.95 from a church based thrift about six years ago. I was told "bring it back if it doesn't work and we'll refund your money." At the...
  22. cactuscowboy

Help with some album identities?

Your avatar: Devo - Something For Everybody Great record!
  23. cactuscowboy

On second thought... I'd probably visit the guy and look at most of those albums. Condition and price the determining factors.
  24. cactuscowboy

I'd get over there and see if you can buy the Rolling Stones and Kinks LPs. The rest of the stuff... I'd pass on.
  25. cactuscowboy

Modified Vintage, or High End Modern Technology

You're not suggesting that "newer" technology is better are you? If anything, modern day turntables are cheaper, cruder, and less sophisticated than those sold in the golden age of vinyl 30-40 years ago. One the one hand, you have Made In China units (the Technics SL-1200 knockoffs a prime...
Back
Top Bottom