Search results

1. tyttuut

SW Ohio to SE Maine

PMed
  2. tyttuut

SW Ohio to SE Maine

I'm heading from Cincinnati to SE Maine on March 14th and returning March 20th. I drive a large sedan (Lexus LS 430), so plenty of room in the trunk or back seat. There are a few different routes I can take that go through NY or PA if the destination is along the way to ME, doesn't make much of...
  3. tyttuut

Vintage Yamaha: Whose Name is on Yours?

Late to the party, but my CA-610 II was inspected by K. Yamamura. S/N 109824.
  4. tyttuut

Boston A60 Series II or Tannoy PBM-8?

I'm switching to a smaller desk that doesn't fit my longtime favorite HPM-100s. I have two choices from my dad's collection of old audio gear: Boston A60 Series IIs and Tannoy PBM-8s. What are your thoughts on these things? The surrounds on both sets are original, so of course they're absolutely...
  5. tyttuut

I found this setup in the basement!

The speakers are under a desk so they only have a couple inches above them. I'll keep that in mind if I move them, couldn't hurt to do a little woodworking. I did finally add a CD player. It's a Sony CDP-C215 that I found in the basement (believe it or not). It sounds pretty damn good.
  6. tyttuut

Nakamichi CR-1A signal "dropouts"

The tape is a Maxell XLII, not brand new but AFAIK lightly used. I have some brand new Maxell UR's I can try. Are there any other indicators of head wear I can look for?
  7. tyttuut

Nakamichi CR-1A signal "dropouts"

I thought I was hearing brief signal drops from my CR-1A. I recorded a sine wave onto a tape and played it back, and this is what I got: And the same waveform, but zoomed into the large drop in the middle: That's a ~10ms dropout. Quite audible during playback. It could be that it does this...
  8. tyttuut

Lubricating CR-1A motor

My CR-1A hasn't been serviced in ages (maybe ever) so I finally pulled the tape transport out and cleaned it. Now I want to lubricate the motor. There are two holes on the back: one for adjusting speed and a smaller one at the center that I think is for lubrication, but I wanted to be sure...
  9. tyttuut

The receiver sits a little over half an inch above the amp. The reason I'm reluctant to put the amp on top is because it's quite heavy.
  10. tyttuut

Finally got a picture. All the cool stuff is on this side and I'm still decluttering in here. The other side is just another speaker. I also added a CD player. Guess where I found that? (Spoiler: the basement) It's longer than all the other components so I can't really stack it properly. I...
  11. tyttuut

Haven't included pics because the room is a combination bedroom, computer room, and small electronics workshop, so the clutter is pretty immense. I'm finally cleaning up so I'll post a few pics when there's not so much junk in the way. :biggrin:
  12. tyttuut

As the title suggests, most of my current setup was found in my basement, or my grandparents' for the speakers and TT. A lot of it was my dad's (he was an audio dude back in the 80s). First, the amp is a Yamaha CA-610 II. My parents have had it rattling around for years. I remember seeing it...
  13. tyttuut

Where to get small belts?

All the ones I see are too thick. The belt from this drive is super thin. I don't think I've even seen a belt this small.
  14. tyttuut

Where to get small belts?

I need a belt for a laptop floppy drive. Not exactly audio but since replacing belts is a common task in audio stuff, I figured you guys could help. The belt I need is about 0.018" thick and 0.035" wide. It's a little stretched out so it might actually be slightly larger. I don't remember how...
  15. tyttuut

Looking for cables for a "semi hi-fi" setup

I might go for those then, they look like what I'm looking for.
  16. tyttuut

My bank in particular is that of a high school student, so those offerings pretty much cost most of my budget for a single pair of cables, unfortunately.
  17. tyttuut

I've got some Amazon cables too. I like them just fine, but all the RCA cables they have are longer than I need. I'd prefer not to have a bunch of extra length I have to deal with, but if I can't find a better alternative, I'll just deal with those.
  18. tyttuut

I have an audio setup that's pretty OK, but not serious audiophile level. I'm looking for some decent RCA cables to match. I mostly need them to connect the cassette deck and radio tuner to the amp, and maybe another pair from the cassette deck back to the amp for recording, so about 2 feet...
  19. tyttuut

"Hot" smell from Sony STR-D715

You're right about that, there's pretty much no opportunity for adjusting things. Now that I've turned it on again, it just kind of smells like audio equipment does when it warms up. I'll give it a test w/ some speakers at some point. Random tidbit: it has LaserDisc and MiniDisc inputs. Blast...
  20. tyttuut

How should I go about checking idle current and bias? The service manual is near useless and I can't find anything better. I did check for DC voltage on the speaker outputs, all outputs are at 10-15mV.
  21. tyttuut

Browning on the PCB Board - Okay or Ticking Timebomb?

Good point. Some designs just plain suck (underrated resistors), and those warrant installing beefier resistors.
  22. tyttuut

The transistors are identical to the originals, same brand and all. I do have an infrared thermometer, but of course I took it apart and never put it back together! I guess I'll have to fix it... :biggrin:
  23. tyttuut

Browning on the PCB Board - Okay or Ticking Timebomb?

That looks like it got pretty toasty. Consider installing beefier heatsinks, maybe a small fan too. Replace the burnt resistors with some bigger ones, maybe 1 watt. You might have to install the bigger resistors vertically.
  24. tyttuut

I would need experience to be a novice!

Do some hands-on experimenting. I'm an electronics dork, so if you have a question about something, I might be able to answer it.
  25. tyttuut

Several weeks ago, I replaced a couple of dead power transistors and a ceramic power resistor (it's in the output path, I forget what it's called). I turned it on for basic testing, and all seemed well, but then I noticed a hot smell from the amp. It wasn't a burning smell, just "hot." I had a...
Back
Top Bottom