Search results

1. F

Who is the most famous person you ever talked to or met?

Wally "Famous" Amos in his cookie shop (Kailua, HI). Jack Lord, in an elevator in his condo building (Honolulu). Alan Bean (Apollo 12) and Harrison Schmitt (Apollo 17) in Houston, TX. I met Alan Bean at a book signing. Met Harrison Schmitt at an after work meeting where he was speaking. As...
  2. F

Window options in listening room

The rake of the speaker? Well yes, by adjusting the spikes in the four feet. But they are sitting on a wool rug over a wood floor. I don't want to damage the floor by using the spikes, but I could put the floor protector discs on top of the rug and then use the spikes to adjust the fore-aft...
  3. F

After a listening session last night in the new chair, it actually sounds better from the somewhat lower position. More detail with no increased brightness, a better frequency balance, and increased mid-range clarity. It still feels like I am sitting too low as the mid-range driver is mostly...
  4. F

I've decided for now to not mount the 2 244 panels on the ceiling. The sound in the room is very good already and I want to avoid drilling large holes in that ceiling. I read that if the reflected path is longer than the direct path by 1.7 meters or more, the brain will not confuse the...
  5. F

Yes, big improvement. Typical bare room with excessive echo before and now echo is gone and the sound is more clearly focused, especially the bass. I still have not put the remaining 244 bass traps on the ceiling. Can't really tell what difference that would make without drilling the holes...
  6. F

After listening this morning I am going to leave the 8 foot high tri traps in the front corners. It is certainly no worse than having just a single trap in each corner. Listening to some organ music now, it sounds just perfect. I will listen more over the weekend but I'm still thinking of not...
  7. F

I asked my contact at GIK about diffusion on the ceiling and was advised to use broadband absorbtion at all reflection points but scatter plates and range limiters (which I have in the monster traps on the rear wall and the tri traps in the front corners) could be used on bass traps elsewhere...
  8. F

Added 2 more tri traps in the front corners today. Will listen some more tomorrow morning. I want to compare this to how it sounded with only 2 tri traps. I have not mounted the remaining two 244 bass traps on the ceiling yet, kind of holding off on that to see if they will be really necessary.
  9. F

Listening tonight with the above configuration, it sounds really, really good. Not just the bass, everything is improved. Whatever I play just compels me to keep listening.
  10. F

More progress today. Still need the second set of tri-traps (arriving tomorrow) so each corner has 8 feet of them, and have to mount two more 244 panels on the ceiling. Listened this morning with the 244 panels sitting on the floor and 244's in the front corner (tri traps arrived closer to...
  11. F

Received 6 boxes from GIK Acoustics today. Two more boxes coming in the next few days (the tri traps for front corners). I managed to get the monster bass traps mounted on the back wall today. These have the scatter plates installed under the fabric.
  12. F

This room was planned to be a listening room so I always knew it would need acoustic treatments. With nothing in there it sounds horrible, echo city! Now with just a rug on the floor it still has too much echo but it's not horrible. Sounds rather nice if the music isn't too affected by the...
  13. F

I've received my Solidsteel S4-3 rack and placed an order with GIK acoustics for the following: For front 2 corners, 4 tri-trap bass traps with range limiters, stacked 2 per corner (8 feet high). For back wall, 3 monster bass traps (each 2 x 4 feet) with scatter plates. 2 each 244 acoustic...
  14. F

I've contacted GIK Acoustics for help with room treatment, and would like to order a new equipment rack if the whole country doesn't shut down (no deliveries?) but today I decided to place the speakers according to Focal's formula and set up a minimal system on the floor. With the French doors...
  15. F

Just moved in a few days ago. Here is the current state of my listening room. Lots of slap echo, have to start acoustic treatments and find a new equipment rack (I'm thinking of the Solidsteel 3 shelf wide rack). I plan to contact GIK acoustics soon for help with the acoustics.
  16. F

My main system is now boxed up awaiting the move in another 11 days. I have been listening to Stax headphones via a Schiit modi 3 dac in the meantime, soon that too will have to go in the boxes. It will probably be several months before I have the system up and running in the new room. I will...
  17. F

No metal blinds for me, for just the reason you stated. The 3 windows are small, just 24 x 24 inches and located pretty high so they will be shielded by the roof overhang from the direct sun. Instead of blinds I want to put in stained glass inserts to both cut down any direct sunlight and also...
  18. F

The stained glass idea just came to me suddenly one day, don't know why I hadn't thought of it before but once I did it was the obvious thing to do. Have to begin the room treatment process once I get moved in, I plan on listening down the long axis of the room but some of the pictures posted...
  19. F

Here's an update on this thread. My listening room is nearly complete except for the floor. The house should be ready to move in to in about another month. I have acquired a 10x14 foot wool Persian rug for the 14x19 foot floor. Should have just enough bare wood floor for the equipment rack...
  20. F

DAC rcommendations

I can recommend the $99 Schiit Modi 3, been using one for the last few weeks with a Stax headphone setup and it is a very good sounding DAC.
  21. F

Let's see your cans!

STAX SR-003 Mk2, SRM-252II, Denon HEOS Link streamer/DAC
  22. F

After a meeting with the builder this week, we have decided to continue with the project. We drove between the house site and proposed quarry location, it certainly won't be visible from the house, and time will tell whether any noise will be audible at 4.5 - 5 miles away. We decided to build...
  23. F

Well, didn't want the noise, dust, truck traffic, possible future rail line, light pollution at night, possible future related industrial plants (concrete, asphalt) that may spring up adjacent to the quarry,etc. This was a very nice area with houses on minimum of 1 acre lots, all utilities...
  24. F

Update on the listening room plans: Looks like we won't be building the new house after all due to a planned rock quarry (1500 acres) going in nearby (~4.5 miles away). Would rather not be living so close to something like that. So we have stopped construction before any ground was broken...
  25. F

Thanks Hifiler, I will discuss this when we meet with the interior designer next week. I appreciate the photos of your listening space, after seeing that I am not so afraid of windows in the listening room. Harvestor, those are some really nice looking rooms! I will spend some time Googling...
Back
Top Bottom