Search results

1. rickl

Another KA-3500 restoration thread

I'm with paint. The 5700 or 7100 has the removable bottom plate. I just finished another 7100 and the kenwood was a dream compared to some other manufacturers.
  2. rickl

Dynaco PAT-5 2nd amplifier input

My guess the outputs are just paralleled. I use a similar setup to power a powered subwoofer. I think you could use a second power amp/speakers but I've never tried it.
  3. rickl

Old timers who had good stereo systems in the late 50s/early 60s - how did they compare to today?

My uncle had a Lafayette kt600, dynaco mark III amps, empire 589 TT, and big speakers (CRS). I have his preamp and TT. I have 4 mark III monos that over collected over the years. This can be a very nice system. I wish I could remember the speakers. Too big to get home and didn't survive the...
  4. rickl

Receiver WPC Question - Building A Vintage System On A Budget

Hey Joe, I'm a bit late... if you are close by, you can rummage through my shelf for some treasures. I'd look at separates but that maybe outside your budget. Hopefully someone close can help you.
  5. rickl

Fisher vs Scott preamp

I've used Erhard boards in a PAS3 and thought it sounded great. It might be a cheaper option. I know my kt-600 sounds great too but these aren't cheap. If you are close by, I have a few preamps you could try with your Mac. I might find something reasonable and enjoy your Mac. Then you could...
  6. rickl

Kenwood KA-5700 successful repair

I'd use hopjohns recommendation. Post in thread 'Another KA-3500' https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/another-ka-3500.883922/post-13203119
  7. rickl

Harman Kardon 730 Help!…..

not really sure what you are trying to do. typically you use your phone or ipod to test the outputs using a headphone plug to RCA. something like: turn the volume down all the way on your phone/ipod connect the 3.5mm to your phone/ipod connect the red to the right amp in connect the white...
  8. rickl

Hafler DH-200 one channel out

you will need to find the problem. I know I got one 10+ years ago and fixed it with a 20 cent capacitor. no idea if this is your problem or something else. do the voltages you measured align with the schematic? these are pretty easy to fix.
  9. rickl

Onkyo M-501 fuse blows when turned on

I'm sure you searched ak but if you missed this, enjoy. Thread 'Dim Bulb Tester diagram pictorial... please feel free to copy and post.' https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/dim-bulb-tester-diagram-pictorial-please-feel-free-to-copy-and-post.875584/
  10. rickl

Onkyo m509

I would try to set the bias and if possible the DC offset using the factory service manual. I haven't looked if to can lower the offset via a trimmer. The diff pair may need to be replaced. A scope and signal generator will help
  11. rickl

Onkyo M-501 fuse blows when turned on

Hey Bow, Please use the npn and pnp transistors avionic suggested. I'd probably get two or three of each in case you blow them. Don't forget DBT until you get it working. It will save a lot of headaches.
  12. rickl

Sansui 8080 Restore

Depending on age (serial number will tell) there is a service bulletin that should be applied. I'm going through my 3rd 9090. These are pretty nice sounding and has some value.
  13. rickl

questions regarding Kenwood KA-7100

here is a link regarding the 3 pin caps. I forgot I actually responded to this question before. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ka-7100-refurb.885594/post-13129280
  14. rickl

here is a link to doug's resto sticky https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/kenwood-restoration-repair-recapping-and-servicing-threads.789484/
  15. rickl

Bill D mods for Carver C1

Did you see this? https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/carver-c-1-preamp-repair-and-modification-upgrade-billd-mod.765085/
  16. rickl

There are some good resto links in the Kenwood sub forum. Check out the resto sticky. I'm pretty sure one cap leg is a dummy. Check the resto links.
  17. rickl

Harman Kardon 930 tone board debacle

I have one in the 'it is done and come pick it up' pile. I can snap a few pics if needed. I don't want to remove the tone board but can pop the cover and snap a few if needed. I wonder if something failed unrelated to to the bass pot.
  18. rickl

Dynaco PAT-4a, anyone?

The PAT-4 is a preamp (tone controls, volume, input selector, ...). You will need a power amp to complete your system. Dynaco (ST-120, ...), Hafler (dh-200, 220, 500...), ... will work fine. There are many power amps that will work with this pre. As with anything this old, a refresh will...
  19. rickl

General control of the Kenwood KA-880-SD integrated amplifier

this. sometimes IPA doesn't work and you need something stronger. I don't worry too much about removing any reference designator markings. q-tips helps keep the solvent localized.
  20. rickl

General control of the Kenwood KA-880-SD integrated amplifier

Valter, kenwood (and yamaha) glue can be very corrosive. clean the glue off as best as you can (isopropyl alcohol). most will replace the affected components. 47k and 1k resistors are pretty common. ive had jumpers corrode completely through so treat this as general maintenance. i've read...
  21. rickl

Yamaha A 27 stereo amp

i looked at the a720 schematic and if similar, it should be repairable. no power packs. i'd probably test the blown channel outputs and replace. work backwards until all is good. dbt will help...
  22. rickl

Sansui G2000 Dim Bulb on…now!

it looks like TR11-TR14 are the drivers and TR15-TR18 are the outputs. I notice voltages are listed. you could measure voltages and post your findings and someone might be able to help. The boys over on the sansui sub forum may offer sage advice too. here is one channel for reference...
  23. rickl

P2250 upgrade ideas and preamp recommendations?

Final cables
  24. rickl

Sansui G2000 Dim Bulb on…now!

I haven't worked on a G2000 but there are several things to narrow down the problem. does it have preamp/power amp jumpers? this will help narrow down the problem. if your dim bulb is bright, typically the power amp section is the problem but nice to verify. keep it on DBT until you get it...
  25. rickl

P2250 upgrade ideas and preamp recommendations?

here are my 'proof of concept' cables. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/yamaha-amplifier.944663/post-14457936 I've since cut off an end of a RCA cable and soldered in an XLR connector. works great and not an 'accident waiting to happen'.
Back
Top Bottom