Search results

1. onemug

What does everyone own for tube gear!

100%... I share your passion for it. I've had mine for over 10 yrs and never get tired of looking or listening to it. :beerchug:
  2. onemug

RIP Terry DeWick

RIP Terry... You left the world in a better place... My thoughts as we are remembering him... 15 yrs ago, as I was wanting to have a small collection of vintage receivers, I came across an ad for a Marantz 2252b that stated "gone thru by Terry DeWick". I had heard nothing but good about him and...
  3. onemug

Praise The Fisher 500c

Be happy to. The guy that started the mods on these wanted to use them as subwoofers. He had Quads (988's I think) and found nothing in the way of subs that could keep up with them. So he used these cabinets and fitted the JBL 123's in them and got what he wanted. Life was good until he passed...
  4. onemug

Praise The Fisher 500c

What? No Xray vision? ;) Inside, they have a 12" JBL D123 woofer, a dome midrange and a Dynaudio(?) tweeter. They are mirror imaged so you can arrange them tweeters in or tweeters out.
  5. onemug

Praise The Fisher 500c

Selmerdave is 1/2 correct... It's an Altec Valencia 'cabinet' that has been modified on the inside.
  6. onemug

Praise The Fisher 500c

Don't know why my pic in the previous post was so blurry. Here is a better one.
  7. onemug

Praise The Fisher 500c

It's been "on" since I got it. I'd be curious also. The only jumpers I see are for the in/out to the "to reverb" on the back top of the chassis.
  8. onemug

Classic High-End Gear

Me too! Curious... on your IV, does it have the words "60th Anniversary" silk screened on the glass mid-center? I have some new info on the III, IV and V versions of the 22 as to which is which. There seems to be some confusion about this.
  9. onemug

Craigs List Find

OP is lucky she didn't have "cookies blocked" set on her PC or the deal may never have happened. :cool:
  10. onemug

RIP Jim Winey of Magnepan.

RIP Mr. Winey... thank you for leaving this world a better place. I had the pleasure of getting to know his son Steve many years ago. He shared some personal info about his father and company that I treasured... made me love the Man and his Company even more.
  11. onemug

Legacy Opinions please

Use one 'stereo' amp for the left and right woofers and the other amp for the left and right tweeters. IMO, do not use one amp for one channel, let one amp be in charge of the L/R woofers only and the other amp in charge of the L/R tweeters. Make sure you remove the jumpers.
  12. onemug

Legacy Opinions please

Have your ever tried 'bi-amping' using both your 275's in their 'stereo' mode? I would encourage you to try this before you try/buy another amp, I think you would be surprised.
  13. onemug

How many power amps is too many?

I think everyone should at least try an SET amp once in their lifetime... 300b in particular. Match it up with the right speaker and be prepared. Me too. 275-vi/Maggie 3.6 in one zone last night... 300b SET/JBL L82 in another zone this morning. :beerchug: from the Enabler.
  14. onemug

DAC Dummy question

In your 'line out' settings on the Port, do you use 'fixed or variable'? It matters even if you use the digital out with an external DAC. Fixed is best. If you use the variable, put the level at around 75 to 85%. Your are streaming FLAC correct? The internal DAC in the Port is adequate for...
  15. onemug

Legacy Opinions please

I've owned a pair of the SE's for 7 years and think very highly of them and I've used them with a pretty wide variety of amps. I think you will enjoy them. Make sure you 'play' with the 2 switches on the back of each of them. That will help them get to be the best fit for your room and ears.
  16. onemug

Tube beautiful

Usually 300b's and 5u4g's don't glow much in the dark, but I've used these tubes for years 'but' never at the same time. Just did this recently and for eye candy... looks great. 300b Elrog's on the outside, EML 5u4g meshes in the middle. Ear candy is great also.
  17. onemug

Marantz Model 18 restoration

100%... I bought my 7t just for it's looks, especially in it's wood cabinet. It's one of the best early ss preamps I've ever heard. I have one hooked up to a 250m in one room and an 8b in another and really enjoy their sound. Even had the T hooked up to a Pass XA30.5 and Bedini 45/45 over the...
  18. onemug

I can see (hear :cool:) that. I love/have tube amps... they have a certain quality about them that I really enjoy. One thing I like to do, if the 18 is going to be on for awhile, is use one of the centering knobs for the scope to completely move it off the screen. It keeps the phosphorus nice...
  19. onemug

Looking for a 12" tall or shorter true bookshelf speaker

The NHT Super Ones are a great recommendation for your needs. I've had mine in our guest bedroom for over 10 yrs and have never grown tired/bored of listening to them. Something to consider, in choosing, is a 'front ported' speaker might be best for you if your speakers will be right up against...
  20. onemug

That's pretty much what I hear also. Enjoy! :beerchug:
  21. onemug

NHT SuperOne and cheap amp recommendations...?

Agree. In the last 15+ yrs, i have used mine with a... Marantz 18, 19, 2270 Scott 399, 340a Fisher 500c Loved all the pairings. I think 'one' of the reasons that they are so versatile is that they are 8 ohm speakers with a 'minimum' impedance of 6.4 ohms. Amps/receivers really like that. I...
  22. onemug

Pandora

100%! For those who don't already know... Yes, they have one of the best algorithms in the business... but... if you hit the 'thumbs up or down' icon while listening, you will fine turn it even more.
  23. onemug

Fellow 18 (and 19) owner here... been admiring your work here. Nicely done! I've had my 'teens' for about 17 yrs, still can't decide if I like one more than the other and I 'do' hear differences. How about you?
  24. onemug

Should I get a Marantz Model 15?

Agree ... and then, one step back from there, the 'room' the speakers are going to be used in... all part of the 'art' of building a system.
  25. onemug

Should I get a Marantz Model 15?

Me too. I have a 7 and it never fails to bring a smile whether looking or listening to it. Bought a 7t for its looks (all of these in their wood cabinets, btw) but didn't have much hope for it sounding 'that' great being early SS, but I was pleasantly surprised. Over the years, I have used the...
Back
Top Bottom