Search results

1. alexsurber

HPM-100 fan club

Yeah, these bad boys do seem to create a lot of controversy. Maybe it's just because people don't have a pair? haha. Maybe they don't sound as nice with the pioneers they were built for, I've never hooked them up to anything else. For me, I also like the fact that if I take care of 'em they will...
  2. alexsurber

HPM-100 fan club

I finally got a pair of HPM-100's for my sx-1080. They sound amazing, but I was disappointed that there are no facebook groups educating the masses of these wonderful speakers! So I created a facebook group. For all you facebook users out there, just search for hpm-100 on facebook and you can...
  3. alexsurber

Pioneer Preamp question

I have a Pioneer sx-1080, and have heard that using a seperate preamp/power amp makes it sound even nicer. (If that's possible, ha!). I was curious what pioneer preamps would go well with the sx-1080? I am on the dark on this, and am curious! What are the top of the line Pioneer preamps? What's...
  4. alexsurber

The End of the World

You can hope they rediscover electricity in a couple of years. Have some imagination.
  5. alexsurber

The End of the World

It's the end of the world and you can only grab two receivers (One tube, one SS), which do you take? Which one has the best sound, looks, power? You have to live with your choice for the rest of your life, so choose wisely.
  6. alexsurber

Most Underrated/Overrated Component or Brand

Marantz is over rated. They sound pretty nice, and they are built like a tank, but that font, well, looks kinda 70's. Not the prettiest receivers. Must also say that pioneers are a little overrated, some people act like they're the holy grail. My sx-1080 looks great, and sounds great too, but I...
  7. alexsurber

What's your opinion on vintage receivers?

You know vintage is better when you crank the volume knob, and the neighbors come over and ask why they didn't get invited to the party....
  8. alexsurber

The '80s Playlist

Ahh! I have that one! Love Axel F... Guns 'n Roses-Appetite For Destruction-1987
  9. alexsurber

Pioneer SA-1280...thoughts?

Here's a pic of one:
  10. alexsurber

Pioneer SA-1280...thoughts?

One of my first recievers, made in the late 80's. 110 wpc. Sounsd pretty good for the black plastic era. Sounds better than alot of the modern stereos. For what its worth? If its in really nice shape, maybe 50 bucks. Not very wanted around these parts.
  11. alexsurber

The '80s Playlist

When they started using tons of synths, it just lost something... R.E.M.-Document-1987
  12. alexsurber

The '80s Playlist

Ehh, ok. Bouncing off the satellites is definitely not one of my fav's. Husker Du-Zen Arcade-1984 The Cure-17 seconds-1980
  13. alexsurber

The '80s Playlist

Allllll right, I guess I'll have to add some punk and indie music to this list. Pixies-Surfer Rosa 1987 Nirvana-Bleach 1989 The Replacements- Let It Be 1984 Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables- 1980 New Order- Low-Life 1985 B-52's-Wild Planet-1980 Clash-Combat Rock-1982...
  14. alexsurber

Pioneer PL-570

damn...plastic. I don't really care if it's automatic, as long as it sounds really nice.
  15. alexsurber

Pioneer PL-570

When I was younger, I used to listen to records on my dad's pioneer pl-570. I want to buy an old record player, but am not sure which pioneers were high quality in the day. His pl-570 sounds nice, but I think it's from the 80's... Any recommendations?
  16. alexsurber

How much is a mint pioneer sx-1080 worth?

Yeah, it is the same one. It's actually a really stupid story. I told my roommate to not bid more than 300 on eBay for that one, and was at work when the bid ended, but for what ever reason he went up to 340. Maybe he's jealous? Anyway, I thought that I was kinda gypped and embarrassed and...
  17. alexsurber

Here's another, I can take some more tomorrow.
  18. alexsurber

I saw a mint sx-1080 at this old lady's yardsale. I mean mint, she still had the box, recipt and everything. I picked it up for 300, which seemed reasonable. I was curious, about how much do they go for on the bay?
  19. alexsurber

Great speakers

I'm looking for speakers with great bass, knock the window out stuff. Are any brands known for that? (I think I just started a big debate)
  20. alexsurber

New audiophile from San Jose Ca

Hey everyone, I finally found people who love old gear as much as I do! I love old pioneers and fishers. I love it when I talk about my dad's old fisher and my friends think I want to go FISHING! LOL. People just don't get it, they think newer is better. You just cant get the wattage out of the...
  21. alexsurber

Should I buy a nice Marantz 2225?

I saw a nice Marantz 2225, wondering if I should buy it, how much do they go for, good condition?
Back
Top Bottom