Search results

1. Fury161

My little nook of sound

This is where me and Mrs Fury end our days, some good tunes, a little vino and a chance to just sit and chat about the day, if even just for 30 minutes. The white couch will move in to our addition once it's done and we'll add a bigger rug in here
  2. Fury161

C26 has some light hum after recapping

Hey friends, Full disclosure: I'm a Pioneer fanboy so I'm coming from a place of some naiveté when it comes to Mac gear. I recently stumbled into a free C26 (can't beat the price!) in nice shape. I had it recapped at ProAudio in Tampa and it sounds pretty groovy, I gotta say. Thing is, there's...
  3. Fury161

Product to seal and protect wood case?

Just checking to see if there's any community knowledge on products for pioneer wood cases? My SA-9100 has a case in great shape but it feels a but unfinished, like the slightest liquid will trash it. Any thoughts on a product to seal it and maybe accent the beautiful grain?
  4. Fury161

A quick, and possibly ill-informed, review of the Cambridge CXN V2 with bonus Chromecast comparison

Test Equipment: Pioneer SA-9100 - fully recapped Klipsch Forte IV & Klipsch KG4's (upgraded) Chromecast Audio w/ Cambridge DacMagic 100 Pioneer DV45a Furman power conditioner cables: yes, I used some. Out of the box: Sharp looking unit that everyone comments on. I bought this open box from...
  5. Fury161

KG4 Crites Crossovers - Rebuild or Replace?

I replaced the tweeter diaphragms on my KG4's last year and looking to do the crossovers next. I see the rebuild service is about 1/2 the cost of the full replacement crossover. Aside from the pretty piece of branded wood, is there any meaningful reason to drop the extra 2 beans on the brand new...
  6. Fury161

Help diagnosing woofer distortion in Klipsch kg3.5 (video)

I've had these for a little bit but not done much with them. One tweeter needed a new diaphragm which I replaced. But I hooked them up last night and was met with this sound. See video below. I switched the speakers and it followed from left to right. The amp is freshly recapped Pioneer SA-9100...
  7. Fury161

Opinions on using a new replacement in a rehab?

So here we have exhibit "A" a pair of B&W DM4 bookshelf speakers. They recently stumbled into my hands at a very reasonable price and I'm looking at doing a rehab on them. (They needs a bit of love). Here's the rub: both of the Coles 4001 16 OHM super tweeters are toast. Big ole' 0 on the...
  8. Fury161

Bowers & Wilkins DM4 (1972) - opinion of value

Picked these guys up today on trade for a Santo TP-1010 TT. Not a bad trade IMO. But, there's no real sales history in the US, only in the UK. They're significantly less common here. Cases are a bit rough. Some scratchs which I can handle 90% of them I think. One good corner ding. Quick test on...
  9. Fury161

New to me JVC QL-75A - maintenance and service questions

So, lightning struck this week and I was able to pick up this beautiful girl for the overwhelming price of $19.75 (Thrift store score of the century!). She's in beautiful shape and everything appears to be function just as intended. However, this is a big step up for me in terms of quality. A...
  10. Fury161

Just got my SA-9100 back from a full recap

And OMFG, I am in love! She sounded pretty good before, or so I thought, but now it's got this throaty rich power to it like I never heard out of it before. But still has all the detail and nuance I could want. Well worth every penny! Sorry, I had to post this here because none of my...
  11. Fury161

Help ID'ing Sherwood Fuse Holder Caps

I recently acquired a nice Sherwood s-7300 in pretty decent shape but... both yhe fuse holder caps from the back are missing. The power fuse cap is present (pictured) and fits the speaker fuse holders. I'm just really not sure what to get to replace the missing caps. Im sure I'll have to buy...
  12. Fury161

Re-Painting a CD Player Case?

Checking in to see if anyone has any experience with this? I have a Sony CD player, metal case, that has a few scuffs and whatnot. I'd like to tinker with cleaning it up and re-painting it but not put a ton of work into it either. I'm thinking I give it a quick sand with a light grit (220-sh)...
  13. Fury161

How important is having a remote control to you when selecting gear?

Context: I have a (very) small side hustle refurbishing and reselling better quality gear (mostly audio but some AV stuff too). It seems like it comes up whenever I don't have the original remote that buyers are asking about them. Personally, I don't really care or particularly even like them...
  14. Fury161

SA-9100 has no bass in the left channel?

So, this is a fun new development. When I fire up the 9100, it runs perfect for about 5-10 minutes. After-which, the bass on the left channel cuts down to an inaudible level. If I engage the Tone Defeat lever, the sound will return to normal levels. Unit was recently cleaned out and has no...
  15. Fury161

Issue with Klipsch KG3.5's

So, I took in some 3.5's as trade for some work that I did for a guy with a thing this time... Anyways, I haven't really done much with them but last night was giving them a listen and it just sounded kind of lopsided. Checking around, I notice that the bass from the left woofer was...
  16. Fury161

Woofer in KG3.5 acting odd.

So, I took in some 3.5's as trade for some work that I did for a guy with a thing that time... Anyways, I haven't really done much with them but last night was giving them a listen and it just sounded kind of lopsided. Checking around, I notice that the bass from the left woofer was...
  17. Fury161

Interesting Digital Revelation from an analog guy. And a question.

By most accounts, I'm a vintage analog kind of guy. I have a Chromecast audio but usually just use it for background music (Pandora) around the house. But I do have ton of CD's packed away from back in the day and I'm not doing much with them. (I haven't had a CD player for many years.) So, I...
  18. Fury161

Hopefully a simple question. Pioneer PL 15Dii

Hopefully this will be a real quick question for anyone who owns this, or similar unit. I just picked this unit up last week and she's pretty minty all around. The new belt came in today I was testing out the autoreturn functioning. All seems to work well except for one quirk. If I press the...
  19. Fury161

Pioneer PL15Dii question

Hopefully this will be a real quick question for anyone who owns this, or similar unit. I just picked this unit up last week and she's pretty minty all around. The new belt came in today I was testing out the autoreturn functioning. All seems to work well except for one quirk. If I press the...
  20. Fury161

Let's talk "sleeper" amps!

We all know and love the "big boys" (737, 8800, 9100, etc...), but people don't talk as much about their more humble little brothers. Personally, I have a love for the lesser known underdogs. (Think: Nikko Amps.) So, what are some of your favorite Pioneer receivers/int. amps that fly beneath the...
  21. Fury161

Salvation Army find: PL15Dii - $30

You ever get that nagging feeling telling you to go check out a particular store? I had that feeling and went to check out the local thrifty and came across this beauty. I almost didn't see her cause someone had put her by the crockpots but that wood grain caught my eye. I didn't really check...
  22. Fury161

New Cartridge for Sanyo TP -1010

Hey all, I recently picked up a Sanyo TP-1010 for my sitting room setup for $50. All in all, I've been quite happy with it. Comments that have been made about it being a bit resonant to room vibrations are pretty spot on but we'll deal with that at a later date. It came with an Andante "E"...
  23. Fury161

Acoustic Research AR17 Restoration Thread

'Sup, dudes? Diligent readers might remember a thread I posted a bit ago looking for some input on some AR17's I picked up in the local thrift shop. (Here, if you care...). I thought I'd start a dedicated thread for their restoration and hopefully serve as a kind of knowledge repository since...
  24. Fury161

My humble downstairs system

Just enjoying some Miles Davis and a spot of whiskey and thought I'd share my downstairs system. Amp is Pioneer SA-9100. Sanyo PL-1012 TT, Klipsch kg3.5, Polk sub. It's not overly expensive or fancy but I'm enjoying rebuilding my system after the divorce. God how I missed just sitting and...
  25. Fury161

Bass going crazy on Pioneer SA-9100

I've noticed something odd happening with my SA-9100. If I decide to crank it up past half way on the phono stage, I get a kind of wild oscillation on my woofers. They just start pumping back and forth rapudly without regard to what is being played. This does not happen when using my Chromecast...
Back
Top Bottom