Search results

1. Thefamous

Another what speaker is this thread

I know I’ve seen these before. Probably in one of these what speaker is this threads..:rolleyes:
  2. Thefamous

Any reason not to replace polarized electrolytics...

With a different type of capacitor of the same value? I have looked into this a bit, and found conflicting information. For context I am recapping a little old Yamaha CR-220. For some of the old electrolytic values there are film or mica caps available now. Is there any electronic engineer type...
  3. Thefamous

I could use some help

I recently fixed up a KR-2600 for my son for his birthday. It was all working just fine and after about a week the FM just quit. The needle doesn’t move, and there is no static or noise at all. Unfortunately that is primarily what he uses it for. The AM works just fine, as do all the other...
  4. Thefamous

Bizarre problem with KR-2600

After taking apart and doing a basic cleaning/deoxit this receiver seems to be working fine... except When I turn it on with two speakers hooked up I get no sound and my dim bulb tester lights up brightly. The weird part: -It doesn't matter which set of speakers (A or B channel) -It doesn't...
  5. Thefamous

Yet another what speaker is this? thread

Looking for a pair of little bookshelf speakers. Saw these and they seemed decent quality but I really have no idea what they might be. These are around 10-11” tall. There are threaded holes on the back and bottoms so I assume they were part of a surround system. Grills are plain black. No ID...
  6. Thefamous

KR-1400 bad channel

I recently refurbished a little KR-1400 as a present for my son. Just cleaning, recap, new lights, cosmetic stuff. I was doing the work in the evenings when I finished up. I tested output into some crappy surround satellite speakers at low volume and it seemed good. Plugged in headphones and...
  7. Thefamous

A Father's Day gift to myself

A year or two ago I had picked up a little mid 70s Kenwood receiver. Got it for a song and it seemed like a fun project. I had got so far as minor body repairs, cleaning, buying caps and new lights (thanks to a member here), and then life got busy and it ended up in a closet. My wife was...
  8. Thefamous

Sony SS-U230?

Anyone ever heard of these? A quick backstory. Good friend’s wife is Dutch. She brought these speakers with her from the Netherlands when she moved here to the US 15-20 years ago. She said she thinks they might have originally been part of one of those all in one systems. She has had them since...
  9. Thefamous

Klipsch Subs at Costco

Not sure if this should be here, or at dollars and sense. But I thought I would give any AK Costco members the heads up. R-12SW's are on sale at a pretty good price. Never heard one, but I've heard good things about the reference line. ETA Sale starts 9/2
  10. Thefamous

Speakers too revealing?

I had heard people caution against this. Bad recordings being painfully evident on speakers that are too revealing. I recently built a pair of 2 way speakers. Based somewhat on the econowave design from these forums. I had a lot of help and they came out sounding great. Maybe too great? I...
  11. Thefamous

KR-1400 lamp replacements?

I got one of these recently for basically free. Rehabbing it with the end goal of gifting it to my son for his 8th birthday. I have an old turntable I am going to pair it with. He loves playing records on my system, and I'd like to encourage this. But he's too young for anything really fancy...
  12. Thefamous

Anyone ever use a stylus for this?

I scored an old craftsman table saw roadside on trash day. Other than some tabletop rust it’s in surprisingly good shape. Built like a tank and dates to 1952. I found the manual online and was reading thru it and saw this recommendation: Anyone ever heard of doing this? Do you think a...
  13. Thefamous

Unexpected Surprise in an LP

Did some work for a neighbor yesterday. I was in her basement when she remarked that she was getting rid of a bunch of records. I offered to take them off her hands if she didn’t want them. She said her brother had already taken all the rock, but I was welcome to whatever was left. Some great...
  14. Thefamous

Weird turntable feet

Recently picked up a pioneer PL-518, which I am super excited about. Needs some TLC but is in pretty good shape all things considered. Runs smoothly, auto return works (jerky, but I believe that's just how they are), and plays well. Arm lift is super slow both up and down, but I think some...
  15. Thefamous

AT 120e stylus question

Hoping one of the fountains of knowledge here can help me out... I know Electrovoice (EVG) replacement styli for some of the older AT carts were just rebranded genuine AT products. Which is awesome because they are way better than newer replacements. I'm thinking specifically of an old AT13 I...
  16. Thefamous

Sonance Subwoofer Driver Replacement Help

I picked up a sonance 10-150 subwoofer for almost nothing a while ago. Didn't work, but the power light came on. I figured either a component (or more) was bad, or the driver was. I was really hoping for a burned out resistor or something, but no such luck. Works just fine when powering...
  17. Thefamous

Crossover Help

I have an old pair of Klipsch KSB 3.1 speakers. I was thinking about stealing the drivers and making a big 3-way out of them, using the existing woofer as a mid and adding a larger woofer. I am pretty decent with electronics, but not well versed in crossover types/design. I figured I would...
  18. Thefamous

Linear Array sensitivity question

Hoping someone can help me out here. Say you have a single driver. When you add another of the same in the same speaker, you increase the sensitivity by 3dB, I think. I am ignoring impedance effects for the sake of simplicity. So if you double the drivers again (to four now) do you increase...
  19. Thefamous

How do I get this driver out? Sonance Sub

I recently picked up this Sonance 10-150 subwoofer in "as-is, powers on but not tested further" condition. And it does power on, but makes no noises. I pulled the plate amp off the back and tried running the speaker off an old amp just to see if I could get anything out of the driver...
  20. Thefamous

Help IDing AT carts

Haven't used a turntable in over 20 years, but recently picked up an old Sanyo TP1030. It came with 2 headshells both loaded with Audio Technica cartridges. I am sure I could spend a lot of time looking on the web but was hoping to tap into the wonderful knowledge here to save me some time and...
  21. Thefamous

JBL studio 310

I have an old pair of these kicking around, which I can't use due to the fact that they are big and I have two young kids in the house, and a wife who doesn't like clutter. They are in pretty good shape. The vinyl woodgrain is peeling away in a few spots (helped along by said children before I...
  22. Thefamous

Sanyo TP 1030 tone arm drops fast

Just picked this up and it is amazing shape. Super clean and everything works great. Except: On the auto start and with just the cue lever the tone arm drops with almost no resistance. Is this a piston thing that uses dampening fluid? A spring? I glanced at the parts blowup on vinyl engine...
Back
Top Bottom