Search results

1. L

FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

I just noticed that one of my tubes glows significantly more than the other (the actual tube, not the LED underneath). Is this a sign of anything that might impact audibly on the signal? Worth swapping it over for another?
  2. L

That's quite a statement! Mine hasn't been off since I bought it. The tubes don't seem to get hot, so wherein lies the danger? Am I risking my life?!
  3. L

Thanks for your experience. I don't have a sub, and only bookshelf speakers so the bass is never going to blow me away. But with the FX 01 out again briefly yesterday the bass did seem more present again. It's not so much the amount as the definition. I think that in my system the buffer adds...
  4. L

I haven't had much chance for critical listening, but since putting the FX in the chain with the Voskhods I think the bass may be sounding a fair bit quieter/rolled off, while the mids and highs are sounding forward, clear and lush. Anyone else finding this at all?!
  5. L

Lucky that you can still buy inexpensive linear wall worts where you are - they have been outlawed by meddling EU regulators! :(
  6. L

Yes, but as another poster has found, for me this means that the first notch of the dial on the FX 01 buffer is too loud (too much gain?). I only go to about 9 o'clock on my FX502SPRO pot, and then the buffer gives me a good listening range to play with.
  7. L

A bit off topic, so apologies. But I came across this interesting quote about inverted polarity in regards to the reason people often claim that vinyl is 'more realistic' (or whatever) than digital, and I thought it was of relevance here. So, I'm now wondering whether the inverted polarity of...
  8. L

Does it make an audible difference?!
  9. L

Got the Voskhods yesterday. No idea if they sound better yet, but I love the CCCP and rocket logo markings on them, very retro! How important is it to clean the tarnish off the contacts of these NOS tubes? I gave them a quick rub with some 00 wire wool, but it was very fiddly due to their...
  10. L

Yes, but only when turning off (or on, I can't remember!) when my main amp is on. So buffer on first and off last = no thump.
  11. L

Thanks. Yes, I assumed turning on/off every day would probably shorten the lifespan more than just leaving on permanently.
  12. L

Just out of interest, does anyone know how much electricity these bulbs consume in standby? I'm used to leaving my amp turned on 24/7, but that's probably not so smart with this tube buffer?! I'm not a rich man :))
  13. L

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I would be fascinated to do ABX testing to see if the difference is perceptible, let alone beneficial, but sadly not possible. I am upgrading on blind faith that there will be some minor incremental improvement. It won't break the bank anyway :)
  14. L

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Thanks for your great advice. I panicked a bit thinking it could have been static as I wasn't as cautious as I could have been about that, but I swapped the old opamps back in and it is working fine again! Phew. The new opamps were from a reputable store, but I guess one was faulty?
  15. L

Thanks :) I already bought those Vokshods, they should arrive by the Spring, or shortly thereafter :) I did see that you and others rated the Shuguang (?) tubes as decent, but at that price I thought I would give them a go, out of curiosity mainly. But got to get my amp fixed before I can do...
  16. L

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Hi, I'm a longtime lurker of this thread, so thanks to all for giving me the bug :) I was hoping for some quick advice. I just swapped out the original opamps from my FX502spro and put in LME49720NA. The problem now is that I have a significant crackling sound in my right channel that I'm...
  17. L

Hi, I've been following the TPA v tripath thread for years and have had three of those off-the-shelf amps now (SMSL 36a PRO, SMSL SA60, FX502SPRO) and am very impressed with them. I also just caved and bought one of these tube buffers, got it for a discount price of £19 on Amazon, so it was...
Back
Top Bottom