Search results

1. Nick_the_'Nole

Happy Birthday Nick_the_'Nole!

Thanks, y'all! I gotta say, it's kind of an odd feeling-- my first time coming onto the forums in a good few years, and one of the first things I see is a thread wishing me a Happy Birthday...
  2. Nick_the_'Nole

Fisher BA-6000, help finding a transistor sub?

I just now stumbled back across this thread and saw the further questions. While it may not do srinath much good at this point, I know how frustrating it can be to find a discussion about a subject without any sort of closure or solution, so I'll offer a much-belated follow-up in case the...
  3. Nick_the_'Nole

Nichicon Capacitors?

Sure. I don't even keep but a few <2.2uf electrolytics on hand anymore, I almost always use film caps for small values like that. It just becomes impractical for larger values simply due to the size (and, to a lesser extent, the cost).
  4. Nick_the_'Nole

Anyone know anything about these vintage headphones?

They bear more than a passing resemblance to the Numark HV-215V. Maybe some sort of OEM version, or a clone?
  5. Nick_the_'Nole

Nichicon Capacitors?

To expand on that a bit: For purposes of DC filtering (which is what most electrolytics are used for), leakage isn't as much of a concern as things like ESR and ripple current ratings, which are points where the low-leakage caps don't really excel. There's no 'perfect' capacitor, so in order to...
  6. Nick_the_'Nole

Lincoln Turnover Record Changer Series 50 1952

I guess it really depends how big of a project you want to get into. It's a very cool thing, but I can only imagine that it'd be a bitch to fix up, if you can even find parts in the first place... it'll probably require some custom fabrication for things like the suction cups.
  7. Nick_the_'Nole

Have you ever bought speakers on Name alone?

Hell, the name is how I ended up with most of my speakers. Browsing through thrift shops doesn't really give me much of an opportunity to 'audition' things, so I pretty much just judge by names I recognize and how well-built they seem to be. A few years ago I picked up a pair of Paradigm Atoms...
  8. Nick_the_'Nole

can I supply a mono source with using only one leg of RCA cable from stereo?

Sure you can... just turn the adapter around. Of course it's not going to be the ideal solution for downmixing the signal to mono, but it's good enough for most purposes, and it's certainly the preferable option compared to only hooking up one side of a stereo signal.
  9. Nick_the_'Nole

can I supply a mono source with using only one leg of RCA cable from stereo?

Best to use the Y-cable. If you try to feed a stereo signal to a mono amp (which I assume is along the lines of what you're wanting to do) with one leg of a stereo RCA cable, you'll lose any of the audio that's in the unconnected channel... that's not a problem if you're playing a mono...
  10. Nick_the_'Nole

Why are new caps so small, and does physical size make a difference?

The main reason for this is a simple matter of logistics, rather than any electrical property of the larger caps. Usually the large filter caps are held in with clamps or some other such system, which are made for a specific size of capacitor. A smaller cap will work fine in the circuit, but...
  11. Nick_the_'Nole

Amplifier sounds fine but one ch has "wind" noise

Then there must be two versions of the schematic... the one I found shows four 2SC458s on the preamp board, and three on the amp board (Q1, Q8, and Q9).
  12. Nick_the_'Nole

More Kenwood console Help!!!

Plus there's the fact that any receiver that old is going to need servicing in some way or another. That's a simple fact of life with 45 year old equipment, so you're not really going to gain anything by replacing the Kenwood... you'd just be swapping one problem for another and losing the...
  13. Nick_the_'Nole

Amplifier sounds fine but one ch has "wind" noise

I don't know exactly how it differs from the 2000A, but the service manual for the KA-2000 shows a bunch of 2SC458 transistors... don't even bother checking those, just assume they're all bad. I also see some 2SC693s, which have a fair chance of being leaky as well. It's probably best to...
  14. Nick_the_'Nole

Saw a Lincoln Towncamino today

I wonder if maybe it's a case where grandma's car got rear-ended and was damaged too badly to repair, but rather than scrapping it they re-purposed it instead...
  15. Nick_the_'Nole

Pics of my new sylvania tube stereo console

It has been done. And in fact, some of them came equipped originally with GE VR-series carts.
  16. Nick_the_'Nole

Capacitor shelf life

Those look like Panasonic caps, which are good quality if they're not terribly old. There should be more markings on them, including a series name (in the form of "CE xx", the xx being the series name) and date code (which will be 4-5 digits, numbers and letters, and is usually stamped on the...
  17. Nick_the_'Nole

Pics of my new sylvania tube stereo console

Damn, that is a sweet looking thing. And with PP EL84s it's no surprise that it sounds good. As for the turntable, it looks like a standard Voice of Music 1200-series changer. It'll almost certainly need a new idler wheel and a thorough clean and lube job, but parts are available for a...
  18. Nick_the_'Nole

Not audio, but just as cool!

In stock form, depending on the fuel you use, they can sometimes even touch the double digits. On 53" tires, however, I would not be so optimistic. OTOH, those things will run on pretty much anything that burns... if you can find a good supply of waste oil (vegetable or motor), then the lack of...
  19. Nick_the_'Nole

How to make an N64 work with LED 720p 120Hz TV???

Yep. I know for sure that Toshiba and Hitachi do this, and probably others as well. Normally you plug the composite into the Y (green) jack... it'll probably be marked "Y/Video" or "Y/AV" to indicate that it's a dual-function jack.
  20. Nick_the_'Nole

How to make an N64 work with LED 720p 120Hz TV???

Sounds like a defective (or wrong direction) converter. A 120hz TV will still take 60hz signals without a problem. Why not just plug the N64 into the composite input directly?
  21. Nick_the_'Nole

Need help in identifying a capacitor

Good lord... I've never seen a cap do anything quite like that one on the left. Did it spew its electrolyte in between the can and the sleeve, or what?
  22. Nick_the_'Nole

Odd speakers near Atlanta

I'm thinking the reason they don't look quite like any known model of Realistic speakers is that they're not actually Realistics... everything about them screams 'homebrew' to me. The drivers may have come from Radioshack, and the little crossover unit in the top of them definitely did (it's a...
  23. Nick_the_'Nole

One of the stranger things an Ebay customer has ever said to me...

Hell, the same thing could be said of the internet in general. But I wouldn't say that the change in demographics were the fault of Bill Gates or Windows... I blame AOL, or more specifically, their change to a cheap (for the time) flat-rate billing structure in late '96. It was internet for...
  24. Nick_the_'Nole

HiFi/ Stereo Review...1961 Time Machine...

Just scratching the surface indeed. When you're done perusing that issue, go check out the other 150 they have.
  25. Nick_the_'Nole

90s cars that may become future classics?

Call me a pessimist if you will, but with all the plastics and highly integrated electronics in '90s (and newer) cars, I can't help but think that anything that survives another 30 years in good shape will be a rare collectible.
Back
Top Bottom