Search results

1. dnewma04

Single Ended Stereo 6T9 amp

About 5-6 weeks ago, I posted asking some questions about some power supply ideas that I had about an amp build I was working on. It's a small stereo amp using a pair of 6T9 tubes and a 6BY5 dual damper diode rectifier that I'm giving my daughter for a special day that's coming up soon. She's...
  2. dnewma04

Conceptual Question about combining tube and ss rectification

I am building an amplifier based on the little 6T9 stereo tube amp you've probably run across on "Nutsandvolts". It a little PCB based amp that is about as simple as it gets with the 6T9s pentode running as a SEP. I had the amp running 10 years ago or so, but decided to build my daughter an...
  3. dnewma04

Question about VR Tubes

I've gotten the itch to make my first tube project in a very long time and was targeting Keg's SEUL KT88 amp. In the youtube video series, the guy mentioned that the optimum operating points on his 6AQ8 was a much higher voltage than something like a 6DJ8 would support. This made me think...
  4. dnewma04

New (to me) Tube Amps - 6V6G monoblocks

Picked these up recently and just got them hooked up. I don't know much about them other than they appear to be triode strapped 6V6 which probably give me 3w on tap. The power supply is built the way I'd build one with an LCLC filter stage. I don't know anything about the iron but it seems...
  5. dnewma04

VPI HW-19

Recently picked up a VPI HW-19 and I'm trying to determine if all VPI platters can be retrofitted? It looks like upgrades to the bearings over the models kept the basic mounting holes consistent, but with the HW19 being out of production so long, I wasn't sure if future models like Scouts...
  6. dnewma04

Vaughn

I don't think I've ever read a bad thing about a deal with Vaughn, so I was expecting a great transaction and he came through with flying colors. Great price, great packing, quick shipping, etc. He usually has things I want to buy, so I'm sure I'll be buying again in the future. Thanks!
  7. dnewma04

Liberty's school project - Harriet Tubman Wax Museum

Normally, we like to let Lib do her project from scratch, but her teacher is a bit of a pain sometimes. Last project, Lib missed recess for almost a month because her drawings weren't good enough. I get it, she doesn't have the best fine motor skills. Her little stick figures convey more...
  8. dnewma04

Phono with a decent digital output

I ran across a pro-ject phono that would be lovely but the SPDIF is only active while the USB is active. PS Audio has a superb option but is close to 2k. I was hoping to avoid building an ADC. Thoughts?
  9. dnewma04

Built my first bicycle.

It's taken longer than I had hoped it would for a variety of reasons, mostly related to missing required parts or tools and having to wait for shipping a couple of times or for the bike shop to get a shipment in. After about 6 weeks, everything is in and I finally got a couple of hours to...
  10. dnewma04

Finally decided on a next car...

I was shopping for something in the 15k range, which had me looking at a new Chevy Sonic LT, or for a bit more, I was considering a Buick Regal GST (which I dearly love) and and handful of other similar cars. In the end, I bought something I wasn't shopping for at all but so far, I'm a fan. I...
  11. dnewma04

Perspective from a moderator of AK

I've been a moderator here for about 5 years now. It was a bit surprising to many people that I even became one to begin with. I was no stranger to being on their radar prior to being asked to join them. Over the years, I've done my best to stay on my best behavior, but I've often failed. One...
  12. dnewma04

drknstrmyknight

I bought an Orbit turntable off of drknstrmyknight about a month ago. Very good transaction, it was as described and works great. He even through in a extra mat to try out. Thanks!
  13. dnewma04

Converting pentode curves to triode curves?

I read a reference online that said you could take pentode curves and use them to plot out triode curves. Can anyone give me instructions on how to do this?
  14. dnewma04

AK Design Collaborative: Tube Preamp/Linestage

Design Concept: Collaborative effort to design an excellent linestage with flexible input/output options for members to customize to their needs. Goals: TBD but leaning towards not using commonly used tubes (12A*7 types), using high quality but non boutique parts. Gain of 10 or less...
  15. dnewma04

AK Design Collaborative: 3 way speakers

Design concept: Collaborative 3-way speaker design using affordable, modern, and widely available drivers to achieve modern levels of performance. Goals: TBD, but tentatively 90db 1w/1m, 8 ohm, 40hz-18khz. Perhaps, choose a driver that will allow both sealed and vented cabinet options...
  16. dnewma04

As good as beer gets...

Enjoying a Westvleteren tonight. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. dnewma04

AK Design Collaborative Ideas

Ray and I have started initial talks about another AK collaboration project in speakers and we started to discuss the idea of a group project in tubes done in a similar style. There are loads of tube fans, many of them fantastic techs and designers. What are your thoughts on a design...
  18. dnewma04

Time for a new AK Design Collaborative?

It's been a while since we've done one of these but I feel like it's about time to start discussing another AK collaborative project both led by Zilch with participation from a number of members. There was the indignia thread to design an inexpensive 2 way design using budget drivers and, of...
  19. dnewma04

Anyone going to see Ryan Adams tomorrow?

He's playing at the Fillmore, just curious if anyone outside of squidward and I are going?
  20. dnewma04

Multi-cell horns done right...

Who says giant multi-cell horns don't have a place in a domestic situation?
  21. dnewma04

Archery

This past summer, Liberty started taking archery and really seemed to enjoy it. We signed her up again in the fall and she's been getting progressively better. For her birthday, we bought her a Samick Polaris bow to use. It has replaceable limbs so she can grow with it for a few years, at...
  22. dnewma04

Our employee lounge is complete

We recently completed the 15th floor of our building which was dedicated to about 50% training space and 50% employee lounge. Here are a few pics: We have foosball, a hockey game, two ping pong tables, two pool tables, 9 TVs, a golf simulator and band equipment for employees to...
  23. dnewma04

New OB project will be commencing soon...

While participating in the OB thread, I recalled that I had some unused (aside from testing) ML CLS (I believe?) panels in the basement of my old house, so I took a trip to grab them. The plan at this point is to pair them up with a quad of AE Dipole 15s and run them in hybrid mode. I've...
  24. dnewma04

Adreian Payne and Princess Lacey

One of the things about the NCAA tournament that drives some people mad but I think helps makes it special are the side stories about the players. My favorite story in a long time is this years story about Adreian Payne and his friendship with the young cancer patient, Lacey Holsworth...
  25. dnewma04

Dynamics

There is something very addictive about dynamics in a speaker. More often than not, when I hear something that provides the most convincing job of portraying realism in music, it's because I'm listening to speakers that do the dynamics thing very well. I have my main system setup as well as it...
Back
Top Bottom