Search results

1. reddog48

altitude and audio

Nothing to do with altitude - its all about ATTITUDE.:music:
  2. reddog48

List of speakers that are designed to be used against a wall.

I believe that most - if not all - AR speakers were designed to be used against a wall - or in a corner. The AR-3s were "bookshelf" speakers - designed to be placed in a bookshelf. Hopefully a sturdy one. I own AR-9s and the accompanying manual clearly indicates that they were designed to be...
  3. reddog48

The Best 3-way with 10" or larger woofer

For my money I would suggest the AR-91 - best three way I have ever heard. Uses the ADD inspired midrange and tweeter with the classic 12" woofer. Great toggle switch based attenuator on the rear - no pot to wear out as it employs fixed ceramic resistors. Great tone, deep, authoritative, AR...
  4. reddog48

Are Audiophiles Stoners?

Music and Herb? They go together like a horse and carriage. Why spend $50,000 on stereo gear when one can enjoy some herb and receive greater sonic benefit.
  5. reddog48

Enter the Giant Slayer - Andrew Jones Pioneer Speakers

The PS-22s ARE NOT GREAT SPEAKERS. They are, however, GREAT CHEAP SPEAKERS. Jeez Louise guys - for the price of admission one would be hard pressed to do better. I use my pair as computer speakers - WONDERFUL!!! No bass, but great dynamics and a very coherent speaker - all of one piece.
  6. reddog48

What is the best integrated amp you've heard?

Marantz 2265B from 1979. Hands down the best.
  7. reddog48

Seeking Nice Speakers for a Small Space. Quality Travel Trailer Sound System.

Best small speakers I have heard? The Pioneer PS-22 model - designed by Andrew Jones - truly a great talent who did the original TAD work for Pioneer. Small - and easy to drive. Good enough bass - about down to 100 Hz with accuracy, smooth highs and a great midrange. Cannot go wrong.
  8. reddog48

Your three most desirable vintage speakers?

AR-9 - the Mighty Nine. Apogee - the first model called simply "The Apogee" - preferably restored. Sound Lab 1-A Best of the best to these ears.
  9. reddog48

Is it wrong to not use putty to seal old AR speakers?

Never seen ANY AR with oil-filled caps. Every one I have been into has used either separate electrolytic caps OR computer grade electrolytics sealed in a wax block. Most of the ones I have encountered have drifted and deteriorated over the intervening 30 or 40 years. My understanding is that...
  10. reddog48

AR-10 Pi

The AR-10pi is a WONDERFUL SPEAKER. Assuming of course that the speaker has been refurbished and is up to specification. Do look at replacing the caps in the crossover - they were originally electrolytic caps and have more or less deteriorated over time. See the Classic Speaker Pages for a...
  11. reddog48

Acoustic Research AR-3a speakers

NO - the AR-9 was made with OSB - no MDF. It is believed by some that chip board is better for speaker cabinets in that the individual pieces of wood, glued into a matrix, is less resonant due to all the "boundaries" between the pieces.
  12. reddog48

Todays Speakers vs Vintage Speakers

The High End continues to be dominated by planar speakers? Really? What is that observation based upon - other than wishful thinking that is. Maggies - which I call Magoos - are all DOA - no life, highly colored, homogenize all signal to sound the same, no bass, and NO dynamics. The darn...
  13. reddog48

2252 Preamp Out

The solution was arrived at. I opened the 2252 up - removing top and bottom panels. Plugged the unit in to AC and set the selector to AM so I had a signal to trace across the various boards. Bottom line? The 2252 WAS DELIVERING OUTPUT FROM THE PRE OUT JACKS. I spent some time looking at...
  14. reddog48

Not Including your City, State in your Profile . . .

I know where Croatia is - mainly because I watch a lot of You Tube videos featuring "Two Cellos". One such concert was held in a Roman Coliseum - from way back. Mostly complete - and the entire crowd was Croatian. I found out that the Spanish word for Two Cellos means "Two peasants" in...
  15. reddog48

Is anyone here running an amplifier using their receiver as a preamp?

Using - daily - a Marantz 2252 as a preamp feeding two Dynaco ST-70 amps rigged as monoblocs. Sounds sweet. The Marantz solid state amp gives me the tone controls that tube amps need to sound their best - and I get to see the beautiful blue dial of the Marantz. Highly recommended. I...
  16. reddog48

2252 Preamp Out

17. reddog48

2252 Preamp Out

Thank you, Jd3rdcoast and willyrover - I do appreciate your help. Yes - I am trying to get a pre out signal to drive some Dynaco ST-70 tube amps (rigged as monoblocs). Right now I am getting nada, zip, nothing. I guess I am going to have to go "into" the unit and see if I can determine...
  18. reddog48

What is the best sounding Marantz Receiver?

2265B - driving an AR-10pi - best sound I have ever heard. Alas - the entire rig was stolen from me. Great sadness. Heard a wonderful sound in - of all places - a dentist's office. Lo and behold it was a 2265B driving some JBL two ways. Just warm, golden toned, and sublimely musical.
  19. reddog48

2252 Preamp Out

I have been trying to get output from my 2252 Marantz receiver. This unit came from the factory without any jumper between the "pre out" and the "Main In". Just four RCA jacks. When I hook up to the "Pre Out" jack I don't get any signal. My research shows a "internal" jumper - that seems to...
  20. reddog48

If I die, what happens to my gear?

One friend (?) asked me to leave him my AR-91 speakers. Maybe - maybe not. I have tried to educate my heirs on the value of the various pieces - at least set them up on Craig's List before dumping it into the land fill or selling it for $5 at a garage sale. Who knows? For sure I won't care...
  21. reddog48

Nostalgia

Certainly!! I have carefully assembled the system I had when I was 28 - with some slight "upgrades". Back then I had a Marantz 2265B, and AR-10 pi. To match that I now have a Marantz 2250 and a set of AR-91 (wonderful speaker I might add). The 2250 is dying a slow death - turning the volume...
  22. reddog48

What speaker pair would you keep

AR-9s with the full mods - then the AR-91s - a lovely speaker. Had a set of Klipsch Cornwalls in for a couple of weeks - a VERY INTRIGUING SOUND. Surprising as it was the first time I had ever heard a well done horn based speaker. Would sell off any Magnepans I found in my possession - I...
  23. reddog48

Dark Side of the Moon CD -too bright?

If you are listening to a Mobile Fidelity CD issue it is nothing short of a sonic miracle that the thing doesn't chip tartar off your teeth at 30 paces. MF always brightens everything up - way past any sonic reason - I guess they are tone deaf. I have a copy of Yellow Brick road done by MF -...
  24. reddog48

Progressively better equipment is not increasing my enjoyment. Time to downgrade a bit?

Folks tend to confuse the "sound" of a system and the emotional response to that system when it is playing MUSIC. The forums, the audiophiles, the gear heads are all caught up in "sound" - but folks respond to the "emotion" of the MUSIC - not the sound of the system. To wit; The truly...
  25. reddog48

School me on Bose 901s

Hate to veer off onto the debate between solid wood and MDF - but I too have always questioned why speaker cabinets are not made of solid wood - other than expense that is. It would seem that solid wood planks, edge joined appropriately, would make an excellent cabinet. To my ears solid wood...
Back
Top Bottom