Search results

1. E

Marantz CD5000 drawer problem

SOLVED. In case someone finds this thread in the future: The instructions are misleading. Turning the gears fully counterclockwise will not result in the correct alignment. Find the notch-like irregularity in the upper gear, the one that moves the drawer. Turn the gear all the way...
  2. E

Marantz CD5000 drawer problem

I had a CD5000 mechanism apart to deal with skipping and sticking in the transport. The drawer had to come out to get access. Now it wants to stop about 1/8" short of where it needs to end up. Anybody familiar with this problem? With the drawer out, the gears seem to work properly. The CD...
  3. E

Zerostat doesn't carry its charge

My Milty Zerostat is sparking adequately down inside the works, but the wire no longer conveys the charge out through the barrel. The wire is intact, i.e. there's continuity from the tip back to the joint. The spark (as I think it always has) flies off primarily toward the back of the gun. I'm...
  4. E

Sony transistor substitutes - power supply

Jan -- Still not sure if I'll have to do this, but have parts on order. Can you look at my drawing and tell me if I have it right? Don't want to take out too much, obviously. I turned your 10uF upside down, am I right on this? See thumbnail. Thanks! Steve.
  5. E

Thanks, Ecluser, that looks like a great technique. I'll get into it, pending what happens when I have some of the replacement parts on the audio board. Steve.
  6. E

Since my last report, on Q601 voltages, contradicts what I said earlier, I'll just re-post the information, which I verified a moment ago. Q601 collector 34.4-37.9 volts Q601 emitter 25.3 volts Reading across collector/emitter: 9.66 volts About that pot, R605, I found a place where B+ gets...
  7. E

Q601 collector -- I have 34.4V. Across collector and emitter, I have 8.95V. And what should I be doing about that pot, the one called R605? My diagram shows it as "B+" while the similar pot on Jan's says "24V adj." Coming out of the pot, at R604, I have 16.3V. Thanks to you both! Steve.
  8. E

I have 25.3V there, where the diagram calls for 24. Thoughts? What would you suggest for R602? And I'm taking your answer as a yes on my 4.7K for R603... Thanks, Steve
  9. E

Ecluser, if you're still there -- I take it you're OK with a 4.7K-ohm for R603? Working with what I had, I used that vs. a 10k, and both seemed to make an improvement but the 4.7k probably a little more. I assume no need to go out and get, say, a 5.6k? Otherwise, I think there's some other...
  10. E

Very interesting. I figured such a regulator might be usable but didn't trust myself to implement. (Do I trust myself now?) Did you use heatsink? Did you make a kind of small adder board, or work with space on the PSU board freed up by removed components??? Thanks for this. Steve.
  11. E

PS: Just now, Mediafire seems to be down. Here's another link to the MP3 described a couple of posts up, which btw is just 475K: http://download.yousendit.com/OHo1d0VEVEgwZ2xjR0E9PQ --Steve
  12. E

Thanks for sticking with me on this, Ecluser. One thing about the noise -- I have heard it drop out altogether. So I don't think it's just the normal S/N ratio. In fact, at one point I just had the noise (really loud) in one channel, and the other was near-silent. Then a few things happened and...
  13. E

Thanks, Ecluser -- yes, I know and understand bypass caps, on caps, pretty well, but was unfamiliar with their use on diodes. No scope here, just trying to reason it through. I'm sure you are right to suspect the playback board and the record-amp board. However, since I have the problem on both...
  14. E

And do you think this one is operating close to that range? Do you mean replace R603 (15K ohms) with a 5K resistor? OK, great. Bypass cap on the zener -- i.e., in parallel with the way it's shown in this circuit? Many thanks, Steve
  15. E

Yes, the caps have been replaced. True, the output voltages are in spec. Diodes have also been replaced, except the diode-functioning transistor. The power supply is suspect because the identical noise occurs both in play and in record (record silence, play back on a different deck, compare...
  16. E

Hi Ecluser, pretty sure you mean C605, not the diode, yes? I believe this is a case more like a repair, more like bringing it to original condition, than taking it into audiophilia -- but the bypass is easy enough to try. How small? Would you use a 1 uF, if that's what you had on hand...
  17. E

Thanks for those links! The 2SC1362 is available a few places as well -- the low-noise version of the 2SC1364. The Panasonic part looks good on everything but maximum hFE, where it's a little below the KSC815. (The parts I have are reading 600-700.) But again, I don't know whether the hFE spec...
  18. E

I want to try replacing some transistors in the noisy power supply of my Sony Reel-to-Reel deck, TC-645. See thumbnail for board. The 2SC1364 parts are the targets, both the two that serve as transistors (Q602 and Q603) and the one that serves as a diode (D605). I can get 1364s if necessary...
  19. E

David Hefler DH-101

The DH-100 shows 4 op-amps, 5532s and some other one listed as interchangeable, with two of them in the phono section. Steve.
  20. E

David Hefler DH-101

What is the Stanton cartridge that you're using? That might or might not be a better place to make the first improvement than your phono stage. It's a great price and it should be a good preamp. You can download a User Manual at Hifiengine.com, also a schematic for the predecessor DH-100. What...
  21. E

Weird decoupling cap? Why? Problematic (Output stage, Sony R2R)

Misdiagnosis. Post deleted. --Steve.
  22. E

RT-701 and RT-707 question

True or false: the RT-701 is pretty much a 707 without auto-reverse. Thanks, Steve
  23. E

Transistor sub question... I'm confused, again...

Yeah, the RIAA = EQ thing crossed my mind later. The term EQ board is new to me; I somehow guessed he meant tone controls. Thanks.
  24. E

Transistor sub question... I'm confused, again...

I don't know what SilverHalo ended up doing here, but I do have in hand a revised version of the schematic, one that reflects the replacement driver boards (F-6013) in lieu of the original faulty boards. For the board SilverHalo mentions, my schematic indicates: Tr601 and 602: 2SC458LG(c)...
  25. E

SX-727 head-amp (phono) W21-002 - transistors?

Thanks to both Fixer and Slowhead. Will go with those transistors. I wasn't gonna bypass those caps, but maybe I will. Do you suppose it is really necessary to go 10 uF on the output caps? It might be nice to just get those down to a value where I can use film.... The caps on the In side are...
Back
Top Bottom