Search results

1. Fat_Elvis

HifiRob2

Two thumbs up to Rob. I have bought two products from him that he advertised on craigslist. I didn't realize I was a repeat customer until he gave me his address for a second time, two weeks after the first time. I bought a tuner and a turntable and both were in excellent condition and...
  2. Fat_Elvis

marantz 4230 quad receiver?

Hi all, This receiver just popped up in my craigslist this afternoon. Search reveals prices ranging from $25 for estate sale finds to $150 for ebay purchases. Assuming it's in good working condition but not restored, what do you think would be a fair price? Thanks.
  3. Fat_Elvis

dgwojo

Good transaction Just got my indicator lamps. Well packaged, and they work good. Thanks!
  4. Fat_Elvis

Anybody know this bulb?

Yeah, the dome light is definitely too big physically and will suck too much juice for this application. It is possible that SOME type of automotive bulb will work though. And as you said, the blue covers should be good to go. My bulbs are currently on their way from dgwojo. Very...
  5. Fat_Elvis

Kenwood speakers

x2 on that. I guess you might as well clean them up and re-foam them. See how they sound.
  6. Fat_Elvis

Kenwood speakers

Sorry I'm not much help.... How about some pics? :D
  7. Fat_Elvis

Anybody know this bulb?

Ooh-rah Corpsman!
  8. Fat_Elvis

Anybody know this bulb?

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions! (some funnier than others) I have contacted dgwojo and will probably order from him.
  9. Fat_Elvis

Anybody know this bulb?

2 of these bulbs light the radio dial of a Realistic STA-860 receiver. As you can see in the pictures they look like a cylindrical glass fuse such as those used in 1960's Ford cars (maybe other makes too). They are about 1 1/8 inches long. They are labeled STANLEY 12 VOLT 0.15A. Radio...
  10. Fat_Elvis

Ridgewood 7001

That's a mystery. It would be easier to research if it wasn't for Ridgewood, NJ! Maybe it was a store brand or something?
  11. Fat_Elvis

Kenwood model eleven G

Nick, Welcome to the forum. I think that if anyone here had that manual, they probably would have already posted it already. When you go to search the site, I recommend using the Google search instead of the regular search. If you don't get good results, try variations of what you're...
  12. Fat_Elvis

Soundcraftsmen A5002

Hello, I'm just one of the local characters here, shooting off my mouth about things I don't know much about. I was wondering if there is a tiny possibility that the AC plug polarities were reversed when you put the plug on? And if so, is there any way that could cause a buzz? My foot...
  13. Fat_Elvis

My first thrift store score of 2009

You got that right! I am very surprised to see that date attached to a wood-grain and silver receiver. I'm happy regardless. Yes..."valuable"....:D thank you for the encouragement. And I will refer the wife to you when she gets home in a little while. Hey I like yours too. I am surprised...
  14. Fat_Elvis

Soundin' good I am listening to the receiver now. It sounds pretty good, although there is a bit of a buzz in both speakers. The buzz does not vary with the volume control and is not loud: it is only noticeable between songs. It is present regardless of the position of the source knob. The...
  15. Fat_Elvis

Hello all, Just dropped by my favorite thrift store, expecting to find the usual array of VCR's and shelf systems. Today was my lucky day: Realistic STA-860 for $15. Powers up but the dial light is burnt out. All knobs and buttons look and feel good. I will update after searching...
  16. Fat_Elvis

marantz speakers?

Thanks for the info. I decided to leave 'em. The wife thanks you also. :-)
  17. Fat_Elvis

marantz speakers?

I'm afraid they are not the same as the ones you referred to. These ones are considerably newer: They have black cloth grills instead of brown foam. They are definitely circa 1980's or newer. As far as I know, Marantz has not sold its brand name to cheap made-in-China importers as so many...
  18. Fat_Elvis

marantz speakers?

Hello all, I'm an occasional audiokarma lurker and frequent thrift store scrounger. A few hours ago I ran across a pair of Marantz branded speakers at a thrift store for $15. The label on the back said model SP5 (I think...memory already getting fuzzy). They are large bookshelf speakers...
  19. Fat_Elvis

Any lawyers out there?

Agreed. In short, I would say it's good to cover up anything that might be distracting or confusing to machines, lazy workers, or dumb people.
  20. Fat_Elvis

Hot SANSUI deals! Real SANSUI steals!

Looking for a 9090DB? One just popped up on Los Angeles Craigslist a few minutes ago for $325. Out of my price range. But one of you guys might want to take a look at it..... http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/567909471.html Not mine--if it was mine I wouldn't be selling it!
  21. Fat_Elvis

Anybody in Southern CA looking for laserdiscs?

I don't know what forum this belongs in: Dollars and Sense, Home Theatre, or what. If I got it wrong sorry. I was at a thrift store the other day and found a big stash of laserdisc movies mixed in with the LP's, if anybody is interested. They're at the Little Company of Mary Thrift...
  22. Fat_Elvis

Just dumpstered a Kenwood 4400!

Same here but I'm going all out: I'm going to quit showering and get a shopping cart with big bags tied to the sides. But the bags are going to be full of old stereos instead of bottles and cans :D
  23. Fat_Elvis

Some really basic, perhaps stupid, questions

I'm fairly new myself so somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.... The way I understand it, running too much power to the speakers is generally not a problem in itself. The problem occurs when your amplifiers is working beyond its limits and starts to distort the signal. This distortion is...
  24. Fat_Elvis

Morning Maintenance?

I don't know about the maintenance but I know you are waking up WAY too early!
  25. Fat_Elvis

Best way to clean Vintage fascia

Good thread--I was already wondering about this subject. I like this idea because it involves stuff I already have laying around the house :thmbsp: I am kind of distrustful of Simple Green. I once accidentally destroyed a bathroom mirror using Simple Green to clean it. I think it...
Back
Top Bottom