Search results

1. blackfly

November 2014 Stereophile Disappointment

I started out reading Stereo Review when I was younger (and didn't know any better) and often read Audio as well. I preferred SR but my foundation was wrong. Now, I used to read Stereophile but now read only TAS. I find Stereophile too "preachy" and any audio mag that finds time and space for...
  2. blackfly

2014 & The State Of Your System (TSOYS)

My siggy has my system, and other than a total recap on one Luxman M 05 amp, nothing changed. I have a lot of hobbies and spending has been non-audio for sure. No cable needs/urges (although I would like to try some nicer speaker wire, think Nordost) but I think for now it is status quo. The...
  3. blackfly

Anybody using gear 30+ years old that hasn't been restored?

I can't remember if I posted here before, but my Luxman C 05 is untouched and the M 05 I bought with it is untouched as well. They were "gently used" when I got them which probably explains why I don't need to do anything with them. On another topic: I have another M 05 that I had recapped...
  4. blackfly

Best Subwoofers for 2-Channel Stereo?

I have 2 JL Audio F 113's in my system, and they are awesome. Deep and extended, yes, but musical too, and this is not something very common in bigger cones. I bought 2 since in the past, I used only one and found systems with 2 to have a smoother bass. This comes from the fact two help...
  5. blackfly

Harry Hall Pearson, Jr. dead @ 77

And with his passing, and I am out of the loop, audio's coffin is slowly being built. No one to take up the spot, and many not even knowing the spot is open. Perhaps that is the problem.
  6. blackfly

Optical from pc to dac vs. wireless dac

In my system I run an iMac with Amarra, and use Airfoil to a router that goes wireless to an Airport Express, which then uses and optical cable to the Bryston DAC. Sound is fantastic, easy to use, rarely drops out and no static or distortion. Sound is better than a reference transport. I am...
  7. blackfly

How Long Before FM Tuners Become “Typewriters”?

I live in the same area as Titanstats does. I have an excellent (and mint) Rotel RT 1024 tuner. All analog, it has excellent sound and pulls in stations well. I used an antenna, then moved to Cable FM. Awesome. No distortion, and the station selection was awesome, far better than the...
  8. blackfly

Is there really an audible difference before and after recap/restoration?

Well, the store did a lot of work, and dropped one of the fans in the M 05 and dented the frame so the fan couldn't spin. I got cheap fans as replacements at $180 plus labour to install, so it would of been cheaper. Also, the fan relays are hard to find (so I was told) and bought spares for my...
  9. blackfly

damping factor a thank you

Matching speakers to an amp on damping factor is tough; you are more likely to get better results matching on impedance, output current, and the amp's ability to double down (and a more-or-less linear impedance curve). A very reactive speaker is not going to do so well on a current-limited amp...
  10. blackfly

Pioneer announces it's leaving the stereo audio business.

I am upset myself. My first CDP was a Pioneer (still have it), my first tape deck was a Pioneer (still have it) and my first LD was a Pioneer (yup, still have it). Funny enough, I bought the tape deck and CDP at the same time. This is 1990. I have not put 50 hours on the tape deck, since CDs...
  11. blackfly

damping factor

damping factor is a number, related to output impedence, but it tells you the ability of the amp to control cone motion. Obviously, the higher the damping factor, the better. For example, the new Accuphase A 200 mono Class A amps have 100wpc into 8ohms, but have an insanely high damping...
  12. blackfly

Bridged stereo amps vrs vertical biamping.

If I were to change anything, it would be the speakers, not the amps. I have had a few amps in my system over the years and the ones I have now are really tough to beat. To say nothing one is completely recapped and the other "gently used". I am committed in the amp department, but I would...
  13. blackfly

I switched it up just before the family dinner last night. I am now running the system as horizontal biamping. I cannot tell a difference yet. I suspect there would not be much anyway. Granted, it does fill help fill up the shelves, but we will keep that to ourselves.
  14. blackfly

Really bad or embarrassing albums you actually secretely love

No offence, but there is nothing wrong with Julio Iglesias. Nor is there anything wrong with Sade, Diana Krall........ mood music:thmbsp:
  15. blackfly

Thanks for the thoughts. I definitely will try the horizontal biamp route. I wish all speaker companies were like KEF with their reference series. They have all 3 way models that are triampable, and with the option of running the tweeter and mids together, or the mids and bass together. I am...
  16. blackfly

I need to pick some brains here, so any ideas/thoughts are welcome. My system is comprised of a Luxman C 05 and twin M 05 amps. Currently I am running them bridged mono (with a rated output of 400 watts). My speakers are biampable, and I found out only later that the crossover is at the...
  17. blackfly

Loud Music Sucks!

I agree with Judas Priest to a point. Loud is okay, so long as the music is SUPPOSED to be loud. Metal, rock etc...I don't find turning Melody Gardot or Sade up loud is as effective. With my system it seems definite that there is a point of being "full" and "too loud" where the added loudness...
  18. blackfly

What is that one thing you own that suprised you the most.

How does your preamp allow your amps to bridge? Bridging means you invert the polarity of one channel of the amp and run the left channel positive and the right channel negative, and hooking up to the positives of each channel. This has to be done at the amp or you are going to do damage. Do...
  19. blackfly

What is that one thing you own that suprised you the most.

For me it is the Luxman M 05s I have. I bought a brand new Bryston 14B SST a few years ago along with my Paradigm S8v2s. I happened upon the Luxman and had always wanted one....so I bought it. I was going to use it as a sub amp and as fate would have it I decided to try the amp as my main...
  20. blackfly

Magico Q7's (Eye Candy)

First. The photo is the Q5. The Q7 has the midrange up at the top. Get the photo right. The price is real. I am not sure I understand it or could justify it, but as I bought my lottery ticket an hour ago, I am sure that as an audiophile I would most likely buy the Q7. Get a good look at...
  21. blackfly

Is there really an audible difference before and after recap/restoration?

I have 2 Luxman M 05s in my system. One had a total recap done 6 months ago, and the other is a gently used unit that is original in every way. I was expecting there to be a difference in the recap (I did spend $1000 and used only Nichicon caps, decent ones) and the difference between the two...
  22. blackfly

Luxman stuff I got a yard sale...

To get Luxman gear that cheap is a steal by any measure. Good on you.
  23. blackfly

Luxman M-4000 recap. Help needed

I am no techie, but I am a Luxman fan (check my siggy). Luxman is one of those company that used obscure, Japan-only, parts, hard to find relays and did things, from an engineering point of view, weird. The transistor being soldered on both sides is actually to help with resonance and it NOT...
  24. blackfly

Now that's the build quality I'm talking about

I have a nice system. All of my gear has superb build quality (and it took me a long time to get here). I have some of my original system in the closet, for nostalgia, and it is black box Pioneer gear from the very early 90's. It does NOT have the same build quality. Now, it doesn't cost the...
  25. blackfly

What is the most Overrated Piece Of Audio You Ever Heard?

I went to an audio store (will be nameless; not its fault) to buy my subs a few years ago. They had a pair of Stella Utopia EM speakers and a $25K Clearaudio table. Melody Gardot was on both vinyl and Digital. I was not as impressed by the speakers as I thought; I mean, they are $90K and were...
Back
Top Bottom