Search results

1. RGA

What was the last movie you watched?

I am reminded of one of my Lit professors who read romance novels - to my shock. She said that these novels are a one-and-done read. Great Literature needs to be revisited to get the most out of them. Poor Things is like that - that said I get why Poor Things can be off-putting. Personally, I...
  2. RGA

What was the last movie you watched?

Poor Things - I may see it again this week as it's definitely a big-screen movie and it's on the big screen here in HK. The movie Poor Things is on the end of the spectrum that is better suited to people who have English Lit degrees and are well versed in Philosophy. That movie was my choice...
  3. RGA

Academy Awards 2024

Since I am here, here are my rankings through the last few years. 2022 10) Dune 3/10 9) Don't Look Up 3/10 8) The Power of the Dog 4/10 7) Nightmare Alley 5/10 6) Licorice Pizza 5.5/10 5) West Side Story 5.5/10 4) King Richard 6/10 3) Belfast 6/10 2) Coda 8/10 (Won Best Picture) 1) Drive My...
  4. RGA

Academy Awards 2024

I tend to agree - this is the first year in a long time that I have actually felt most of the nominated films were quite good. Albeit not necessarily movies I would want to rewatch over and over but at least good while I watched them. It baffles me Oppenheimer won for film editing and score...
  5. RGA

Academy Awards 2024

Well, I am most pleased that Emma Stone won Best Actress as this was in doubt and Zone of Interest for Best Sound. I was holding out some hope for Paul Giamatti in The Holdovers and one of my top 4 films would sneak out and win Best Picture over Oppenheimer. But as they say - it's better to be...
  6. RGA

Academy Awards 2024

The Academy Awards will be aired on March 10th. Oppenheimer is the heavy favourite to win a slew of awards - including Best Picture. I have also seen several of the other categories this year and will provide my "If I Picked the Wnners" list (Inspired by Siskel and Ebert's annual "If We Picked...
  7. RGA

Honestly expected more from an amp costing nearly $20,000.

Fikus of Lampizator opened up the Vincent and reviewed it here if you're interested - it's actually quite funny the way he rips this CD player to shreds. The tube is there as a brothel window bit I enjoyed...
  8. RGA

I believe the Chinese player was made in 1991 and Vincent came out in 1994 - not exactly sure on the dates.
  9. RGA

I'll give you the link here - if it doesn't work just google this "On holiday at the Audio Note U.K. factory" for the youtube video I understand the folks who won't buy Chinese on general principle - but I would not lump them all together as there are good and bad businesses in any country...
  10. RGA

He talks about doing a metallurgical analysis of tubes @31:30 and working with the Chinese tube maker PSVANE. It's similar to the years they spent working on their own capacitors and working with Rubycon - when the best caps in the world (Black Gates) ceased production - Peter bought as much of...
  11. RGA

Yeah, even a lottery win might not do it - depending on the lottery. At least you only picked the Gaku-Ons - a mere $300K for the power amps - the new Legend amps are closer to a million. If you have not seen the Legend amps - Peter talks about them here at 10:30 or so. I mean this is getting...
  12. RGA

I have long wanted and Audio Note 211 (Jinro) albeit that is also very expensive - but the inside looks so vastly better. I think at these prices having a look inside is important. Obviously sound quality matters but known for superior parts and build can help if one wants to sell it in the...
  13. RGA

Happy Birthday RGA!

Thanks, everyone:)
  14. RGA

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Mick Jagger is 80 - not too shabby at all. Lady Gaga seems to be a music genre chamaeleon.
  15. RGA

CD Player Thoughts?

You could look at the Onkyo DXC 390 6 disc player - these are new with warranty for $200 US - maybe cheaper depending where you look. https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-DXC390-Disc-CD-Changer/dp/B0000EZ1KK?th=1
  16. RGA

Tube advice and opinions

Buying tube amps from companies that went out of business decades ago is somewhat treacherous unless you know you can get parts and that someone can repair the amplifier. If you are good with your hands you could try a kit - this way - you built it and thus you can repair it (and learn about...
  17. RGA

Why Does My Tube Amp Sound Awful? (Newb)

Unfortunately, I struggle to come up with really great amps for $1,000. I might look at Wyred4Sound when they have their sales like Black Friday or maybe second hand amps from Sugden. You're probably much better off second hand but you'd have to research a lot of amps make a a top 5-10 list and...
  18. RGA

Yes and isn't this a sad state of affairs - 2 quality 300B tubes would cost more than this entire Chinese amplifier with 300B stock tubes!
  19. RGA

The speakers are around 88dB sensitive in room (probably less) and the amplifier outputs 7.5 watts per channel - and that is with full distortion. A SET amplifier likes high efficiency speakers (also generally higher sensitive speakers) and SET amplifiers require seriously high quality...
  20. RGA

I Recently Became An Audiophile.

It would likely rank down where my Marantz ranks in the F tier group. Older AVRs have the problem that they are out of date at the main thing they were designed to do - movie sound - older AVRs typically lack HDMI and modern surround sound processing. They often win for better build quality than...
  21. RGA

I Recently Became An Audiophile.

There is no inherent benefit to tube amplifiers. There are plenty of really great SS amps and Class D amps and tube amps and SET (Single Ended Triode) amps. My opinion based on my experience has been that "so far" the best sounding systems that I have heard have been in rough order" A+ tier 1...
Back
Top Bottom