Search results

1. P

Stax SR-Lambda and SRD-7/SB

Nothing to worry about. They take a LOT of juice compared to other headphones. Nice score!
  2. P

NuForce Icon (new budget integrated)

The speaker cables are an issue, certainly, especially for me to use it with my Stax transformer. May have to solder. The power is plenty for my Stax and for nearfield speaker listening. Simplifying (and shrinking) my system would be a blessing, that's for sure... I could reduce my 50 lb...
  3. P

NuForce Icon (new budget integrated)

Any interest here in the new $199 12wpc integrated w/USB DAC from NuForce? I know budget components aren't very sexy, but hey, I'm a student. I've got one on order. The best pictures are currently on the sixmoons preview of the device.
  4. P

This is Interesting: Concert Venues, Volume and Hearing

High SPL concerts are a personal pet peeve. It's painful, I hate knowing that I'm damaging my hearing... and it sounds SO BAD! Especially the bass at an indoor show. I mean, why pay for live music when a recording sounds so much better? ....okay, there are a few reasons. But still, I avoid...
  5. P

R.I.P. Cachao

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_dade/story/466437.html
  6. P

Coolest Electric Guitar Amp - EVER!

I think you're missing the point completely. The source of the entertainment here is ~ 1% musical, 89% pure geekiness, and 10% bright flashing lights. Only the easily entertained need apply. (Like me, for example. :banana:)
  7. P

How Is Audio Recorded and Archive Today

The few times I've been in a studio the recording was done to HD and backed up on DVD. As usual, the answer to data security is redundancy. My understanding is that DVD's, if stored carefully, are less susceptible to "bit rot" than magnetic hard discs. And it's not unreasonable to expect them...
  8. P

Noisy amp in receiver -- but only at my house! Why?

RFI was one of my first suspicions... I've tried it on several different circuits in different rooms throughout the house with no change, though. I wouldn't expect RFI to be so consistent.
  9. P

Coolest Electric Guitar Amp - EVER!

I'd hate to see the bass amp!
  10. P

electrostatic headphones

Brief clarification: Electrostatic headphones can be run off of an amp (that takes line level input), or an adaptor box (that you hook up to the speaker outputs on your own amp or receiver). If your amp puts out at least 15 or 20 watts, I can't imagine that you would be stressing it by running...
  11. P

Just heard the first xylophones on my Altecs tonight...

For "good vibes" go listen to Steve Nelson! He's amazing (and the music in general is amazing) on Dave Holland's "Extended Play - Live at Birdland", and Holland's big band disc "What Goes Around". It's all hip modern jazz that's not too weird for most people, unless your definition of jazz...
  12. P

Okay, idiotic question here. Do I need to ground the receiver in some way? It's only got a 2-prong plug.
  13. P

This is the continuation of my H/K 930 dual power saga... Sertech Electronics in San Jose has had it for a couple of weeks, but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I went by today and tried it out, sure enough, at their shop it was more or less silent (through headphones) until I get up...
  14. P

Best Guitarists

Okay, how about Frank Vignola? To hear him rip it up on "Cherokee" with the Hot Swing Trio (Mark O'Connor, Jon Burr) is to know humility.
  15. P

Speakers: What do you own?

EPI 100V Stax SR-X mk. III ("Earspeakers") Acoustic Research Powered Partner 570 (for computer + portable use) Acme Low B1 (for bass rig, PA rig and loud parties!)
  16. P

Help me understand the SS: Vintage vs. Modern question

Aha! More or less, my suspicions confirmed re: different trends in quality at different price points/from different manufacturers. That's a very useful corroboration, thanks thedelihaus. It's also reassuring to see more enthusiasm for the quality of 70's gear. (Of course, considering the...
  17. P

Aha! More or less, my suspicions confirmed re: different trends in quality at different price points/from different manufacturers. That's a very useful corroboration, thanks thedelihaus. It's also reassuring to see more enthusiasm for the quality of 70's gear. (Of course, considering the...
  18. P

I actually think I'm pretty happy with my Stax and EPI. I've put together the whole system within the last month, actually. Music takes up most of my life, so I realized it was pretty silly to be making do with a 90's Sony all-in-one and some Grado SR-60's. At some point, yes, I'll probably...
  19. P

Monitor Headphones - Good for "just listening?"

Definitely don't buy headphones based solely on a super-wide frequency response. Of the many priorities one can set in looking for cans, that's so far down the list it's trivial. Go to Head-Fi and browse one of the million or so threads for closed headphones and/or IEM's.
  20. P

Thanks folks, for all the responses, and the encouragement to fix up the H/K. Makes me hope even more that it won't be terribly expensive to fix! The info on discrete transistors vs. ICs was especially enlightening, and I expect it will come in handy at some point in my audio journey (when...
  21. P

Hi folks, I've got a few related questions, so I'm going to start with the general and move on to the specific. Help with either would be much appreciated. I've heard two essentially conflicting viewpoints on solid state amplification. Some say that the '70s were the golden age of SS...
  22. P

Which receiver to keep? Who can recap it in the SF Bay Area?

Wow, more responses, thanks guys. Actually, Norm at Sertech has my HK 930 as we speak. I'm planning on calling him in a couple more days to hear what he has to say about it. I'm already getting paranoid that it's going to cost more than it's worth to fix, though. Keep your fingers crossed.
  23. P

Tonights score... STAX HEADPHONES!!!

Congrats! Welcome to the club (assuming these are your first). :thmbsp:
  24. P

Stax - They make some really fine boxes - yes boxes!

Myself, I just hope he boxes the box carefully. :D
Back
Top Bottom