Search results

1. bigaltx24

FLEA WATT Speaker(s). Whatcha using ?

I use Zenith 49cz852s in open baffles and Coral Holey Baskets in Polk Monitor 30 cabinets.
  2. bigaltx24

Grado Cart Sound Question

Check to see if the stylus is fully seated in the body.
  3. bigaltx24

RCA Audio Cable Recommendations

Huge difference, more detail, deeper larger soundstage, and a tighter midrange.
  4. bigaltx24

La Scala?

Those were sold as pro speakers, they came apart for easier transport. I had a pair of the upper part years ago. Experimented with them for a while, then sold them for $100 to a pro audio guy.
  5. bigaltx24

Which “inexpensive” speakers were you blown away by?

I picked up a 1960 Zenith console in near mint condition for $15 quite a few years ago. I wanted it for the EL84 tube amp it had in it. Rebuilt and modified the tube amp. I used it to power a pair of Wharfdale W70s. I was going to sell the 12" alnico drivers to a buddy of mine who plays guitar...
  6. bigaltx24

I only buy one brand of speakers

I don't listen to box speakers anymore, I have two systems set up with full range speakers in open baffles, and one system with 4" full range in a pair of cabs that used to be Polk Monitor 30s.
  7. bigaltx24

Denon Dl-301II and 103

I got my 103 from Joseph, great cartridge. I run mine through a Denon PMA-757 integrated amp. I read somewhere that the MC phono section of this and the PMA-777 were made for the 103. Sounds damn good to me. My IFI Zen is Ok but not seems to lack some bass and detail compared to PMA-757.
  8. bigaltx24

RCA Audio Cable Recommendations

Another vote for Morrow Audio, started with MA1s and traded them in on MA3s. great sounding cables.
  9. bigaltx24

What's the big deal for power AR3a

I've got a pair of 2as that I finished restoring three months ago. I've run them with a Kenwood KA-701(80 watts 100 damping factor), a Nad 7250PE( 50 watts with 6db headroom 50 damping factor) and a Denon PMA-757 (80 watts unknown damping factor). The NAD and the Denon both sound good and will...
  10. bigaltx24

Stereo's effect on the brain

I have two systems set up that will give me that effect. To me it's like meditation, the normal background stuff in your mind goes away and you can experience the music on a deeper level. To me when I experience music this way it usually it also gives me Goosebumps.
  11. bigaltx24

AR 2a's rescued from salvage

I picked up three of these a couple of months back. I finally got two of them up and running. I love the sound of these speakers, good full bass, nice midrange and highs. I first tried them on my Sansui 6060, and thought they sounded good but a little too polite for my taste. I wound up trying...
  12. bigaltx24

Kenwood KR-8010, why so unappreciated?

I have a Kenwood KA-701 integrated that I really like. It's well built, sounds great and handles anything I throw at it. It's a keeper for sure.
  13. bigaltx24

OK Geezers...Truth Time...Do You Buy New Music?

I buy quite a bit of new music. I've been going to a lot of concerts and like to support the artists, so I buy vinyl if they've got it. If they don't I'll buy a CD. Saw Southern Avenue last month, bought all three of their CDs. Saw Lisa Mills a couple of months back, bought her new album on...
  14. bigaltx24

What are some of the nicest pairs of speakers you own?

Zenith 49CZ852s in open baffles.
  15. bigaltx24

How many Turntables do you have active at the same time?

I have four in service right now. JVC QL-Y5F Technics SL-MA1 Denon DP-31L Technics SL-3300
  16. bigaltx24

When De-Ox-It just does not cut it

I quit using Deoxit a couple of years ago, switched to using Corrosion X. The stuff works wonders, I just got through restoring a pair of AR-2as the pots were in bad shape, hard to turn and scratchy. I applied some Corrosion X, let them sit overnight, then applied a little more the next day...
  17. bigaltx24

The rarest speakers you own or have owned?

Bozak B800-BCs, 8" full range with aluminum cone and big ceramic magnet. The aluminum cone is the killer, if not taken care of the aluminum corrodes. Mine are in open baffles and sound great. I check them every month for signs of corrosion and if necessary hit any suspicious spots with Corrosion...
  18. bigaltx24

Anyone know the Coral Monitor Eight speakers???

Probably only sold in Japan. I'd damn sure give them a listen. Coral did make some nice speakers every now and again. I had a pair of BX-1000s for a while, paid $50 for the pair, decent speakers.
  19. bigaltx24

What's do you consider the Greatest LP?

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue Supertramp - Crime of The Century Bob Marley - Exodus Jefferson Airplane - Surreal Pillow
  20. bigaltx24

Please Tell Me To STOP With the Vintage Gear

I'm the wrong cowboy to ask about getting rid of old stereo stuff. I have four systems setup in my house, a good sized closet full of speakers. and a workshop full of amps, receivers, CD players, turntables and more speakers. If I did want to try something new I would probably buy a PS Audio...
  21. bigaltx24

KLH Model 32: Worth grabbing?

The 32s are nice speakers. I sold mine to a friend when I got my Model 6s. He still has them and cranks them about every day.
  22. bigaltx24

where can i buy t4p cartidge

The last T4P cartridge I bought was a Grado Red 3. Grado is about the only company making T4P cartridges anymore. The Red is a nice sounding cartridge, but any Grado may hum on direct drive tables.
  23. bigaltx24

Do different vendor crossover caps really sound all that different?

For speakers, anything over 10uf or so.
  24. bigaltx24

Question about refurbishing a vintage console

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?media/img_20221213_113509821_hdr.29303/ I restored this Zenith 5G29 EL84 amp for about $100. I bypassed its preamp and phono section so now it's just a power amp. I also found out it had the Zenith 49CZ852 full range speakers in it. I pulled them out and...
Back
Top Bottom