Search results

1. 12ax7

ARXA tonearm bounce

Image fail.
  2. 12ax7

Pioneer PL-518X issue. Help!!!

Clean the curved cue bar and the bottom of the tonearm with window cleaner on a paper towel or rag. The antiskate setting shouldn't cause any drift unless it's way too high.
  3. 12ax7

Thursday Tunes

Back in the early '70s they used to play this before every Syracuse basketball game at Manley Field House. This was pre Carrier Dome, even pre Jim Boeheim. Since Syracuse is playing Gonzaga tomorrow night in the NCAAs I thought I'd give them a little Jethro Tull encouragement, only a 40...
  4. 12ax7

ADC-1 cartridge

You may want to up the VTF to about 1 1/2 grams with that Technics arm (it sure looks like a Technics arm) according to the literature that came with the cart.
  5. 12ax7

Connect Headphones to Old Dyna Preamp

Yes, the Lafayette unit would have to be connected to the power amp. It appears to be very similar to Adam's schematic and It does have a speaker on/off switch. Not ideal but it was a cheap and easy way to add phones.
  6. 12ax7

Connect Headphones to Old Dyna Preamp

Probably not ideal impedance wise, but it worked well with my Dyna SCA35. There's one for sale on eBay (not mine).
  7. 12ax7

ADC-1 cartridge

Doubtful. Your best bet is probably a retip if the suspension is still viable. As you're probably aware, this was Peter Pritchard's first cartridge after he left GE and one of the first meant to track at less than 1 gram. I'm fortunate to have a "never used" (long story) one in it's original...
  8. 12ax7

Another One!

Just for your edification, the mat came from one of the USB and/or preamp tables such as this Sony. Radioshack sold them as Presidian and several other manufacturers(?) sold them as well. In their defense, the mats are lightweight and thin (but slippery).
  9. 12ax7

Thorens TD 124 restoration service?

When Thorens originally shipped these turntables they used a cardboard ring to stabilize the platter. What this ring did was not only stabilize the platter laterally but raised the bearing off of the thrust plate. If you decide to go this route I would make sure that the platter is equally...
  10. 12ax7

Need IR repeater advice...

http://www.x10.com/pm5900.html Both Crutchfield and Amazon show this item as no longer available but the X10 site shows it on sale. They work well. Good luck.
  11. 12ax7

A lot of equipment for only $375 Not sure if any is good though.

Wouldn't mind that Dynaco ST-120.
  12. 12ax7

Acoustic Research AR XA need accessories help!

Would you consider making your own overhang gauge? This particular one is marked for 15mm but you could mark it anywhere you'd like (or better yet, make multiple marks).
  13. 12ax7

AR XA Top Plate Refinishing

Sorry to hear that. If I remember correctly, it took a month or more for the paint to harden enough to wax without leaving swirl marks. Were I to do it again, I might try to speed things up in the oven (don't ask for suggestions, I don't have any).
  14. 12ax7

Rock stars

I'll say, and he's younger than me!
  15. 12ax7

Nice job enricosonic, that's the way the finish should look. (it takes a long time to cure.) The platter looks nice too.
  16. 12ax7

A razor scraper will also make quick work of that rotting avocado finish without damaging the steel deck. I did use a hammered finish paint but plan to redo it eventually after seeing some of the gorgeous light gray/white/pastel finishes on here.
  17. 12ax7

Little black rubber slip on things for potentiometers

To follow up on damacman's post, how about automotive vacuum caps? they come in a wide variety of sizes, materials and even colors.
  18. 12ax7

Dual 1249 Won't engage lead in groove

OK, how about "steuerpimpel-like" since both parts are simply referred to as "guides" in the service manual? I thought I would use a term that most AKers are familiar with and indicated that it was not the correct nomenclature.
  19. 12ax7

Dual 1249 Won't engage lead in groove

Before you go futzing with adjustments, clean the top of the cuing post and the bottom of the corresponding area of the tonearm with glass cleaner on a rag or paper towel. Also make sure that the "steuerpimpel" (for lack of the proper term) is still on the cuing post.
  20. 12ax7

Sad News, Alleykat has passed

I only met Bill a few times but I don't think I've ever met an easier to know person. "Sweet Ol' Bill" indeed. R.I.P.
  21. 12ax7

AT12XE question/Dual 1246 question

The stylus pulls straight down. AT styli can be stubborn, just be careful but firm. Trying to straighten it is a crapshoot, possible but... http://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/large/673820-audio_technica_at12xe_cartridge_with_new_at12xe_stylus.jpg
  22. 12ax7

AT12XE question/Dual 1246 question

The table in your picture isn't a 1246. Try the manual for a 1249.
  23. 12ax7

Dual 1225 tonearm travel?

The steuerpimpel should only rise about 1mm above its mounting pin but I don't think that is the problem. If you move the speed selector lever to the 45 rpm position, you'll see an adjustment screw. Turn that screw slightly clockwise until the desired setdown point is reached. The screw may or...
  24. 12ax7

I got me the Denon DP-37F turntable blues

I watched a DP33L beat itself to death one day. As soon as I plugged it in, the arm started to swing wildly back and forth at a high rate of speed. It broke the arm stop pin off underneath and then the real fun began. I don't work on Denons anymore, they scare me, I hate to admit.
  25. 12ax7

Looking at a Thorens TD-124...

If the SME is like most older SME arms, it uses knife edge bearings so the twist test isn't really applicable. It's just gravity that holds the arm in position and it will rock and even lift partially out of the bottom portion of the bearing. Do check the cuing dashpot.
Back
Top Bottom