Search results

1. B

Crossover 4 to 8 ohm

I'm guessing the 4_ohm/8_ohm switch was a desperation measure for those with amp unable to handle 4 ohms, but I can't imagine any competent speaker designer adding resistance to the woofer, especially when those resistor appear to be common 10watt. Give that we have two coils and two...
  2. B

Can your speakers handle The Dark Side Of The Moon?

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, but I get the gist of it. On YouTube, the default bass test song is "Bass, I Love You", however, you can be sure anyone demonstrating their speakers using this song is NOT demonstrating the sound quality of the speakers, but how far they can make their...
  3. B

Heat and air quality and equipment

I use a couple of very small 12V computer fans. Behind the amp, plugged into the Switch Amp Outlet is a multi-voltage universal power supply. These are very cheap and they let you change the output voltage. I run the 12V fans at 9v to keep them running quieter. Because the outlet on the...
  4. B

Vinyl records coming back? Scratch that!

Can someone tell me how Vinyl can sound so bad when it sounds so good? Anyone who is hysterically ranting that vinyl sound like crap, has probably never heard good vinyl or didn't take very good care of the vinyl he had. Most of my vinyl dates from the 70's and 80's with a few from the 90's...
  5. B

Crossover 4 to 8 ohm

If you add a resistor to raise the perceived impedance of the woofer, that is signal that is lost and power that is going up in heat. You have a 4 ohm woofer, if you are sure that is what it is, then you simply have to live with it, or replace it. Creating a standard generic crossover, which...
  6. B

Acoustics: Tubular Diffuser - Yes or No?

I didn't know there was a "Listening Space" forum. Still, thanks for the replies, while perhaps not ideal, it seems there is some merit to the design. I wonder if the key isn't to keep it asymetrical. Steve
  7. B

effect of expanding baffle cutout to fit replacement speaker?

First, I'm curious why you don't just replace it with a 4" driver? Second, the most crucial aspect is the speaker impedance. If it is 6 ohms, it must be replaced with 6 ohms, if it is 8 ohms, it must be replaced with 8 ohms, otherwise the location of the crossover will shift with the...
  8. B

What's the worst sounding HiFi setup attempt you ever heard?

Does anyone remember the Movie "Risky Business" with Tom Cruise? Dad is out of the house, and the Tom's character is home alone, he opens the cabinet to Dad's stereo and pushes all the Equalizer Sliders to the Top. A while later Dad comes home and says "Do I detect a preponderance of Bass...
  9. B

Michael, thanks for the photo and info.
  10. B

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure why I'm not getting email notifications though. The Vertical Tubes being round, will diffuse and reflect in all directions. But the question about the diffusers was regarding the Arc of the surface. Most diffusers (mono or polycylindric) have a much...
  11. B

Just curious if any one has any ideas on this design concept - good or bad. I know most Diffuser are mathematically designed, but the concept is to scatter sound. It would seem the various size tubes would scatter sound ... unless they won't. I'm just interested in any opinions on the...
  12. B

I happened on this type of Tubular Wave Diffuser while researching something else. http://creativeinsanitydesigns.com/wp/shop/wav-001-sound-diffusion-panel/ That gave me an idea for my own Tube Diffuser made out of PVC Pipe. I have a crude graphic to demonstrate my concept. It shows a...
  13. B

Pioneeer PL-A35 Vintage Turntable (Picture)

I know this is an old thread but the following information might help someone. I corresponded with someone in Brazil. He has his turntable in for repair and the idiots at the repair shop lost the small Anti-Skate counterweight. Though a sequence of events he discovered I have a Pioneer PL-35A...
  14. B

Primare Power Amplifier Questions

I'm engaged in a discussion on another forum about these amps. Someone wants to connect TWO Subwoofers, one to each of a pair of these amps. But, another person is claiming this are not standard MONO Amp, but rather differential or bridged amps. Two amp internally bridge to drive one set of...
  15. B

What's the difference between "collecting" and 'hoarding"?

If you are married, then you are Hoarding. If you are single, then you are Collecting. Steve/bluewizard
  16. B

Receiver vs computer-speakers for turntable? How can I get accurate sound?

Ah.... OK, I've got it now; sorry about that. Active speakers will include at least a volume control, and sometimes tone controls, so in a sense the active speaker is a pre-amp. But it does not supply central control. That is the left and right speakers are identical which is why they...
  17. B

A good lower limit on a Subwoofer is deeper than my (or your) floorstanding speaker, which go down to 28hz @ -6dB. Meaning for me, the Sub would have to go down into the teens to have any value. If you have speakers that go down to 40hz, then your sub should probably go down to 30hz. If you...
  18. B

anyone use "fully" automatic turntables ?

Just about any vintage Pioneer turntable will do what you want. I have a modest second from the bottom Pioneer PL-35A that I bought in 1978, and it is still going strong and serving me well. In a new and reasonably price turntable, consider the Denon DP-300F. The cartridge that come with this...
  19. B

Touching on what others have implied, the output of at turntable is extremely low, about 1/10th of the normal Line Level Signal. Plus to make the grooves fit on a record, the boost the highs, and cut the lows. On play back you need a Phono Equalization Pre-Amp to do the opposite, to cut the...
  20. B

Help me help a friend : Emotiva Gear

Keep in mind what you are getting. Yes, the prices are very similar, but to illustrate my point, let me use a Stereo amp vs a Surround Sound amp at the same price. If the stereo amp is $500, that is $250 per amp channel. If a Surround Sound amp with 7 channels is £500, that is about $62 per...
  21. B

please, help me with focal 836v

In all honesty, I don't think you need a $4k amp, but if that is what you want, consider this one - Luxman L-505u - http://www.musicdirect.com/p-1169-luxman-l-505u-integrated-amp.aspx Highly rate and in continuous production for 30 years. Price at a very immodest $3700. Generally...
  22. B

Define computer speakers? These can range from $10 to over £100. Personally, I recommend some studio monitors if you can afford them. They are going to be about £300/pr. Suggestions, KRK Rokit 5 for good general listening speakers. These have a nice bass bump, that makes the less valuable...
  23. B

High Viscous TT Cue Mechanism Fluid

Wow! I didn't imagine responses coming so quickly. I've heard in other places about the silicone oil/grease used by RC cars. I imagine that is cheap enough, and if it doesn't work, I can probably wash it off with some alcohol. Actually, I think there is a RC place in the small town I live in...
  24. B

High Viscous TT Cue Mechanism Fluid

I have a Pioneer PL-35A, and the slow drop on the Tone Arm has stopped working. Not a huge problem, but I'd like to fix it if I could. From memory, my turntable does not have a camber to hold damping fluid. It has, again from memory, two plates under the turntable that slide past each other...
  25. B

Help needed to I.D turntable

Well obviously it is a Pioneer. It has base very much like my PL-35A, but it is also a higher model. The switch mechanism on the front right absolutely does not look stock. That has to be some thing someone jury rigged. Given the raised section on the front left, I'm guessing it is a Pioneer...
Back
Top Bottom