Search results

1. so_ein_pech

External Pre-Amp With My Integrated Amplifier?

The collective horror we all felt at seeing that wiring. A friend asked me to look at a Pioneer SX3700 with a dead channel. My heart sank when I saw an extra inch of exposed wire on the speaker leads. Especially since that output stage uses unobtanium Sanken MT-200 package transistors. I really...
  2. so_ein_pech

Bose 901 subwoofer?

It kind of looks to me like someone just cannibalized a 901 cabinet. From the photos its hard to tell if there's drivers in the "holes" as you call them. They are in the same configuration as a 901 speaker with 1 on the front and 8 on the back. Though, if it was Bose, I would expect speaker...
  3. so_ein_pech

Infinity Reference 1 Bookshelf Speakers

Nah they are long gone at an ex-girlfriend's house along with the Pioneer SX-550 I had them hooked to. Oh well, these things come and go. The Boston's, on the other hand, I still have and are currently my computer speakers. I have to say the A40's are one of the easiest to listen to speakers I...
  4. so_ein_pech

Is it bad to have woofer and midrange sharing the same chamber?

I guess you are right about that. They sound better than they have any right to given the quality of the individual components. If they figured out a way to get the sound they want without having to source a different mid-range driver and make the cabinet larger, why not do it? In a way these...
  5. so_ein_pech

I guess in this setup it's the opposite. Assuming they are the same driver, they will both be responding to the same bass signal.The backwaves of the mid-range frequencies will be pushing on the bass-only woofer. Since this is presumably way higher than the resonance frequency of the cabinet +...
  6. so_ein_pech

This has been bugging me for a while. I noticed when i was fixing up my pair of DCM TF600's that the mid and woofer share the same chamber. Isn't that a pretty big no-no in speaker design? You can see that without the socks and the tweeter-grille thing removed, both woofers looks the same. They...
  7. so_ein_pech

Running Japanese amp on US voltage

Voltage problem solved. 1000 VA should do it. I guess i got lazy...
  8. so_ein_pech

I think your calculations are fine. I'm just trying to understand the concepts and have been throwing around lots of the numbers. I don't think that I had mentioned the power rating on the back of the amp before your initial post. 750VA seemed like a lot to me from the standpoint of trying to...
  9. so_ein_pech

Can you explain why the primary would also need to be rated for the full load current? When I diagram it out, it seems to me that the current in the primary would be determined by the turns ratio and the current in the secondary, while the rest of the current would flow through the jumper...
  10. so_ein_pech

@Watthour, is that 750VA a typo? If we are talking less than 2A on the secondary, wouldn't 48VA be more than sufficient?
  11. so_ein_pech

Would that selector IC also control the LEDs? When I change the source, I can hear relays switching inside of the amp, so something is happening, just not sound. Are you aware of any similar Denon units that have a schematic available so that I can at least have some clues into how the selector...
  12. so_ein_pech

Come to think of it, I seem remember buck transformers being mentioned in passing in a circuits class, but I don't think we went very far into the theory of it. It's a cool DIY idea, so I might keep an eye out for some 12 lamps to cannibalize. After a couple minutes of researching 120/100...
  13. so_ein_pech

This buck transformer thing is not a concept I was previously familiar with. How do you wire them? Also I have never heard of a 12v incandescent lamp outside of a car.
  14. so_ein_pech

I had not. Do you have a line on one?
  15. so_ein_pech

Power consumption on the back is listed as 120W. 120 x 1.5 = 180. So right at the 200W mark. I guess I just worry about the transformer affecting the sound quality by adding impedance to the power source thereby, um, choking off the supply of magic sound juice... I need to stop reading...
  16. so_ein_pech

Here are the innards. Nothing obvious to select voltage. I would be surprised to find one for a Japanese-only product. I'll take a closer look when I have the chance. I figure fixing it is a crapshoot due to the lack of an available service manual. Would a cheap-o 200W stepdown xfmr be...
  17. so_ein_pech

How bad of an idea is it to run a 100Vac amp on 120Vac? I know it's not a good idea, but how bad is it? I know generally more than +/-10% is bad. Backstory is: I picked up this weird little Denon PMA-9.5 on the local CL. Unfortunately there is something goofy in the selector circuit or tone...
  18. so_ein_pech

DCM TF600 Score

I think it does make a difference in the sound. The speaker that got the acoustic foam treatment seems a bit more reserved now esp in the midrange. It should help with imaging once I do the same on the other side. I will A/B (L/R?) for a few days while I work on other stuff. But I'm pretty...
  19. so_ein_pech

DCM TF600 Score

Using the old tweeter as a jig to cut the new one's faceplate down to size Finished product That'll do for now. Need to get some butyl rubber to reseal the tweeters on the back. I am thinking that the interior sock is not going back on. I think that it was originally what the foam was...
  20. so_ein_pech

DCM TF600 Score

I know, i know I totally hijacked this thread. But i have pictures! Finally did some work on my DCMs. Socks fully removed. Gross! Why did I do this inside? Cleaned them up a bit with a scrub brush and a damp cloth. 1/2" Sound damping foam fits perfectly in the front baffle's recess.
  21. so_ein_pech

Sansui 2000a questionable preamp design

Upon further inspection the ripple filter had already been installed. However, rewiring the ground reduced the hum to an acceptable level.
  22. so_ein_pech

MC cart on a midrange TT?

What about a Thorens 316 with a DL-160 included ("only 100 hours of playtime") for about the same price-point as a DL-103R? The AT-F7 looks intriguing but the what-hifi review says its best with acoustic music because percussive timing isn't great. I listen to a lot of 80s and modern...
  23. so_ein_pech

I'm using the P/N 4606-DEM stylus on the XV-15 from thevoiceofmusic.com which it describes as a diamond elliptical tip sourced from EVG Japan. It's a few years old at this point, but I only listen to records occasionally (maybe 1 or 2 in a given week) so I don't think it's worn out.
  24. so_ein_pech

Hmm... the AT-F7 might be a better fit for my tonearm with the slightly higher dynamic compliance. That puts me in the 10-11 Hz range using that vinylengine calculator and assuming an effective tonearm mass of 18-20g and a headshell+cart mass of 15g. The 5*10^-6 cm/dyne of the DL-103 puts it at...
  25. so_ein_pech

Sansui 2000a questionable preamp design

Even with the covers back on the buzz is present. Hopefully the grounding and ripple filter help.
Back
Top Bottom