Search results

1. BmWr75

Sansui 1000A find

Picked up this Sansui 1000A tube receiver yesterday locally. Already recapped and ready to play. Had to clean the pots and switches with some Deoxit and Faderlube. Sounds great!!
  2. BmWr75

Looking for input on Sine/Square Wave generator

Any suggestions on used or new signal generators? I have a program on my laptop that will do this, but not sure that is an ideal solution.
  3. BmWr75

Started a new Point to Point tube amp build - Analog Ethos Legendarium

Kit came today. Packing was excellent. Instruction manual is excellent. Finished up mechanical assembly today. Will start wiring tomorrow.
  4. BmWr75

Boutique coupling caps?

Lots of folks say using anything better than Orange Drops for coupling caps is a waste of money. I usually use Orange Drops when replacing them. However, I've got a 300B amp that sounds kind of dark to me. Am wondering if rolling in some fancier caps might help the highs sparkle. Have some...
  5. BmWr75

Ugly, But Paid For

This RCA console pull was given to me a month or so ago. Had to fix a couple of broken things in it and do a recap. She is ugly, but the price was right. The input doesn’t seem to like a 2 V signal and distorts some. Lowering it to about 1 V seems a happier setting.
  6. BmWr75

Which soldering station would you buy?

My Weller station bit the dust today. Just quit getting hot. Guess it is time to buy a new one. I don't use it every day or even every month. So don't have to have the best. These two are in consideration: Weller Digital Soldering Station with 70W Precision Iron, 120V - WLSKD7012A...
  7. BmWr75

Multi-cap cans - always replace??

I've always replaced these on vintage units just as a general principal. What's the consensus on whether this is always required or not?
  8. BmWr75

New coupling caps installed in Maggie console pull

I’ve recapped many a tube amp. But this change in coupling cap physical size is a first for me. Both 0.1uF caps. The Orange Drop is rated for 600 volts. Not sure what rating the original cap has.
  9. BmWr75

Power transformer with only two output voltages?

Is it common to use a PT with only a high voltage (400-450V feeding rectifier) and low voltage (6-7V for heater circuit) outputs in a tube amp? If yes, what are good or best practices to get the other voltages required to properly operate driver, phase inverter and power tubes (~100-200V)...
  10. BmWr75

Clayton Shaw Caladan speakers - anyone take possession of a new pair?

These newly released speakers were suppose to start shipping in maybe January 2024 or February 2024 for sure. Anyone taken possession of a pair? If yes, please share your impressions.
  11. BmWr75

300B tube recommendations

I've come into possession of a 300B amp built by @THD+N. :-) Only have the power tubes that came in it. Don't know how old they are or how many hours are on them. So probably need a back up pair. Anyone have recommendations on the more affordable end of the cost spectrum? Doubt I'll be...
  12. BmWr75

How are coupling cap values selected?

0.047uF and 0.100uF a pretty common value, but I've seen lots of other uF values used it seems. Just curious how the uF of a coupling cap is selected for a given amp?
  13. BmWr75

Let's start over trying to solve this amp distortion problem

Looking for suggestions based on the info provided below to reduce distortion output from this amp at normal listening levels. What other info do I need to provide? FYI - the amp came with some pretty worn 6L6GC tubes (they distorted). Installed some new JJ KT77 tubes (they distorted)...
  14. BmWr75

Console ID?

Anyone recognize this console Make and Model? Am wondering it it is old enough to have a tube amp in it. I’ve not seen it in person or would look in the back side.
  15. BmWr75

Is Dave there man?

@dcgillespie This look familiar? If yes, got any history you can share on the build, etc.?
  16. BmWr75

Magnavox console pull amp thumps speakers when powering on/off (edit: maybe just off)

It uses a push button power switch. What causes this thump? How can it be prevented? Edit: don't have the amp yet, just remembering something the seller said to me.
  17. BmWr75

Entech Number Cruncher 205.2

I bought this used probably 15 years ago. It has been sitting on the shelf for ~10 years. Got it out the other day and could not get it to play anything. Then remembered it only does 16/44.1 resolution. Viola, still works on CD quality files. :)...
  18. BmWr75

Build 2A3 or 300B tube amp?

I'm contemplating building either of these amps from a kit. Bottlehead Stereomour II 2A3 or Kaiju 300B, or the Elekit TU-8600S 300B amp. Good 300B tubes seem expensive, 2A3 not nearly as spendy. My speakers are very high sensitivity, so 2-3 watts for the 2A3 and 8-10 watts for the 300B is not...
  19. BmWr75

RCA console pull 62122: RS193F - will removing the bass and treble tone controls improve fidelity?

The bass and treble tone controls on this amp don't do a heck of a lot to my ears. I bypassed the tone controls in a Dynaco PAS2 preamp once and that was the biggest single fidelity improvement made during the complete refurb of that vintage piece. If removing them will help on this RCA...
  20. BmWr75

AC heater voltage has a DC component too, can poly cap be used to filter out the DC to the heaters?

In another thread there is lots of discussion about a tube amp I'm troubleshooting due to distortion in the speakers. The 6.3 VAC heater circuit has about 18 VDC on it too, something in the Power Transformer causing it. Can I use a polypropylene cap (orange drop) in series with both legs of...
  21. BmWr75

Component list for Zilchlab Econowave Crossover PCBs?

I found two of these boards in my parts stash this weekend. I've searched AK and can't find a list of components that are to be stuffed in the boards, actually found it once and could never find it again. Anybody had a list of the required components? P.S. most of the links in the Zilch...
  22. BmWr75

Lance Cochrane tube amp - never got it working correctly

Edit February 18, 2024: Am done trying to fix this amp. Returning it to the seller. Was lucky enough to pick this amp up today. Is a one off build by Lance Cochrane running 6L6GC tubes in push pull.
  23. BmWr75

McAlister Audio ML-33 preamp and power supply

I came across this McAlister Audio ML-33 preamp and power supply today. Anybody have any experience with this preamp set up? I've emailed McAlister Audio asking for any information they may still have on it.
  24. BmWr75

Rectifier for this RCA EL84 amp console pull?

Will soon be coming into possession of what I'm told is an RCA console pull. The only identifying number I can see in the photo is 62122. Anyone seen this model before? Any idea what rectifier tube it might run?
  25. BmWr75

AKG K550 build quality is terrible

Bought these K550s in October 2012, so granted they are old. BUT, I've got AKG K240s that are much older and are still in good condition. Also have a pair of AKG K702s purchased in 2010 which are still in excellent condition. Every piece of rubber/plastic on the K550 headphone frame and...
Back
Top Bottom