Search results

1. Charivari

Deep Bass

I encountered a couple more during my random play music listening last night. Granted, the notes are synthesized, but unless one has been stuck in a time warp or has exceedingly narrow music taste involving old or highly specialized recordings, the majority of music will contain such synth...
  2. Charivari

How to run Squeezebox Independent of Computer?

For what it's worth, I've wondered the same thing if a Squeezebox could be connected directly to an external hard drive with ethernet capability. Trouble is, near as I can figure, that the 'Box requires its SlimServer software to send the music files to it as opposed to it simply directly...
  3. Charivari

Saturday Tunes

The Roots - Phrenology
  4. Charivari

Saturday Tunes

Gorillaz - Demon Days
  5. Charivari

Infinity lovers :

Some reading material on the Epsilons
  6. Charivari

The most time consuming refoam job EVER...

Glad I'm not the one refoaming mine. - JP
  7. Charivari

Infinity lovers :

Well worth the money as those contain all the refinements gained through the generations of IRS models and compacted down into a single, manageable tower. These were Cary Christie's last hurrah before following Arnie's example and leaving Infinity. Sure wouldn't mind having that pair around...
  8. Charivari

See, that Cel Phone WILL kill you!

So folks, where do you see in the article that the guy had a large hole in his chest from the explosion and thus using that to discount this happening? People die quite regularly, even teen athletes, from surprisingly minor shocks to the chest stopping the heart or setting it into...
  9. Charivari

Can I? Passive radiator

Making a guess here, you shouldn't have to remove the motor. So long as you don't jumper the leads, the coil in the magnetic field shouldn't affect the motion of the cone as a passive. However, unless you're really lucky and the Mms of the woofer cone is already the exact weight you've...
  10. Charivari

Need Infinity speaker ID

Looks like it could be the RS 5001. - JP
  11. Charivari

Deep Bass

Thanks, but I'm afraid that I'm a fairly ignorant fan. All I know of that organ comes from their somewhat sparse website and the little I know of organs in general. The engineering behind these behemoths is just astounding especially when one thinks of how complex some of the organs were for...
  12. Charivari

Deep Bass

Deep bass isn't just limited to the classics. Emma Shapplin - Etterna - 04 - La Notte Etterna The numbers: The graph: Last one for the moment. - JP
  13. Charivari

Deep Bass

Of course, everyone knows of Telarc's take of Tchaikovsky's "182 Overture" The numbers: The graph: - JP
  14. Charivari

Deep Bass

Even more Telarc action, this time E. Bernstein - "The Magnificent Seven" The numbers: The graph: Not a whole lot of infrasonics, but still enough to stress the average woofer. - JP
  15. Charivari

Deep Bass

Thanks x 25. I'm glad to see that people will participate in this thread rather than crap in it. I'll take your "Toccata & Fugue" and raise you one better (though of lower overall fidelity), a 1998 recording of it played on the Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall organ. That instrument possesses a...
  16. Charivari

Deep Bass

Another Telarc track, this time a Halloween classic: J.S. Bach - "Toccata & Fugue in d" The numbers: The graph:
  17. Charivari

Deep Bass

Here's a true classic that inspires awe or at least thoughts of large black monoliths and apes. Sony & Telarc - The Ultimate Listening Experience Sampler - 01 - R. Strauss: "Intro to Also Sprach Zarathustra" The numbers: The graph:
  18. Charivari

Deep Bass

For the vintage audio and vintage music enthusiasts, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is often referenced as possessing deep bass during the open heart beats. [Moderator Edit] I thought it might be a good idea to start out with this album. So, here's the deep bass data from my SACD copy...
  19. Charivari

Deep Bass

The recent recurrence in a usefulness of subwoofers in music thread in General Audio has once again revealed the myth that music albums contain no information below roughly 50 Hz and that deep bass is only to be found in movies. Well, that simply isn't the case. Quite a few albums in a...
  20. Charivari

Did it start out vintage for everyone??

When I first started, it was vintage. The time was at the leading edge of the vintage audio hype, so the value was still good (good quality for vanishingly low prices) and availability was high. Now the value for vintage is pretty poor (pay a lot for middling quality), so it's now not such a...
  21. Charivari

18" Woofers

As I asked before, could you please post this graph so we'll believe you? Sans equalization, of course, so we can get an accurate feel for what it can really do. - JP
  22. Charivari

See, that Cel Phone WILL kill you!

Newer cell phones have switched over to lithium-ion batteries and those are known to explode on rare occasion. Couple that with the fact that some humans are prone to their heart stopping if receiving a sharp blow to the chest (punch, errant baseball, etc) and it becomes a real, though very...
  23. Charivari

Altec, JBL, WE serial number registry

Link works fine for me. - JP
  24. Charivari

Is subwoofer necessary?

Those passive line level crossovers are fairly simple to build via these instructions. They work well, but have significant insertion losses making it difficult to balance the outputs of the amplifiers. - JP
  25. Charivari

Don't shoot your eye out!

Same here, my first two shots went crazy along the fence and gave my 8950000+. The next two shots knocked me back to beginner status. Near as I can figure, the score is limited to 10 million and just starts over above that. Edit: I just got a shot with 193 bounces and the score just kept...
Back
Top Bottom