Search results

1. bob smog

Vintage Naim NAC 42 Preamp (rummage find)

So, about 15 years ago, I was at a church rummage sale and found this Naim NAC 42 pre-amp. I remember seeing another guy walk away with the matching 110 power amp (can’t win ‘em all!). Since it needs the power amp or an external dual 24 vdc power supply to work, I’ve never powered it up. I’d...
  2. bob smog

Cinemag 1254 SUT 1:10/1:20/1:40 wiring?

Hi All, I'm cooking up an SUT using a pair of Cinemag 1254 transformers (with leads). Looking at this wiring diagram, it shows how to wire for 1:20/1:40. The note mentions putting the coils in series for 1:10 operation. It seems like I could add another DPDT switch to get the 1:10 option...
  3. bob smog

Distance between record and stylus when tonearm cued up - am I high?

The distance between the record and stylus on my table is 20mm (2cm] when the arm is cued up. This seems and looks like a lot. Should it be lower? Table is a stock Luxman PD-272.
  4. bob smog

Is this a moving coil cartridge? (Vintage content)

Hi all, I found this in a box of all stuff. Looks like a moving coil, but I’m far from an expert. Dates to the early 60s.
  5. bob smog

ID Estate Sale Speakers

Thinking home brew…
  6. bob smog

LP pricing for yard sale?

Hi all - having a yard sale this weekend and need a price check. I’m on the north side of Chicago, so major market. I have a bunch 2nd-tier Jazz and rock stuff. Should price them at $2 or $3? Last year at the sale,my sister sold out a similar lot of vinyl @$2 each. With ease.
  7. bob smog

Kyocera DA-410cx - back to life!

Had to scratch an itch. Found an old Kyocera CD player from 1988 for cheap. A fairly high-end piece BITD, it didn't read discs (why it was cheap). I'm pretty much an analogue guy, but I'm handy, do I figured "how hard could it be to fix?". Turns out, pretty hard. For starters, the door wouldn't...
  8. bob smog

When was the last time you found a "tube stash"?

I just realized it's been a very long time since I've run into any tubes out in the wild. Not talking about gear, but loose tubes. I used to find these a couple of time a year, but it's been a long time. To the best of my recollection, I picked up a box of about 20 tubes, including some RCA...
  9. bob smog

ID this "paperweight" tonearm?

Hi all, The accounting group at my company moved to a different building, leaving behind a lot of junk. I went rummaging with the intention of upgrading my office chair and found this "paperweight". I know I've seen this arm before, but can't place the make. Counterweight is missing...
  10. bob smog

JBL L88 L-pad and binding post project

A few months back, I picked up a pair of JBL L88 at a rummage sale. They were super-cheap and beat, but good for garage duty. While the drivers were in excellent shape, both L-pads were dirty and intermittent. I decided to replace the L-pads and the binding posts, which had weak springs...
  11. bob smog

Estate Sale Ken Nordine Chicago 60660 (edgewater) Tapes, reels, etc...

My sister's neighborhood... https://www.estatesales.net/IL/Chicago/60660/2233620
  12. bob smog

JBL L88 tweeter swap/upgrade to 035ti

Hi all, I recently lucked into a cosmetically challenged pair of L88s. These are the regular version, not the "plus". I saw a thread were Zilch mentioned that there was a factory recommened upgrade to change the LE20 to an 035ti. Apparently the stock crossover really puts a burden on the...
  13. bob smog

165 uF bi-polar crossover cap replacement strategy?

Hi all. I'm working on a pair of Design Acoustic PS-10a and want to do a recap. Each crossover has two 165 uF 100v bi-polar caps. Chances of finding a drop in replacement look slim. I'm thinking the best route would be to put caps in parallel to get the value. Is this the way to go? Try for...
  14. bob smog

Design Acoustics PS-10a - (AKA If at first you don't succeed, buy, buy, again)

During a recent thrift visit, I picked up a pair of Design Acoustic PS-10a speakers. Here's the Salvation Army price tag - note the date of 4-8-17 and price of $19.96 (1pc). Since the speakers are an unique design, I was interested, but not at $40 for the pair, especially since the woofers...
  15. bob smog

Stray wire leads to hidden vintage speaker find in parents home

So I’m been in the process of cleaning out my parent’s house. My dad passed at 95 in June, so we’re getting ready to put the house on the market. The house was built in 1958 and my folks lived there since 1961. The house came with a full bar, but neither of my parents drank. The bar sink was...
  16. bob smog

"Mysterious" black box in estate sale photo...

This single photo showed up amongst all the toy train and garage stuff photos. No description on the photo or mention in the ad being run by an "antique" company. Crossed my fingers since I couldn't get to the sale until 2.5 hours after open. House was packed with stuff, so I had to search...
  17. bob smog

Estate sale Homewood IL gear, lps, JBL Aug 3

A little too far from me...noaf. https://www.estatesales.net/IL/Homewood/60430/1952736
  18. bob smog

DIY N2400 Crossover Clone for JBL C36

Hi all - about 10 years ago, I lucked into a curb find pair of JBL C36s. These have been my main speakers for the last decade. Recently, I noticed one speaker was playing quieter than the other. I opened things up to take a look. [ The drivers checked out OK, which led me to the N2400...
  19. bob smog

Tweeters inboard or outboard? JBL 030 loaded C36 mirror image.

Hi all, For the last decade or so, my main speakers have been a pair of JBL C36 with the 030 load. The drivers are laid out in a mirror image as pictured (web pic - grill cloth are too dark on mine) Currently, I have mine positioned with both tweeters "inboard" opposite of what is shown in...
  20. bob smog

6C4 (1/2 - 12AU7) in first stage of Pilot 232 monoblock clone?

Hi all - I have some spare iron that seems suited to building up a pair of EL84 monoblocks based on the Pilot 232 circuit: The input stage shares a single 12au7. Since I'm building monoblocks, I'd like to go with a single triode such as a 6C4 (which on paper looks to be a "half" 12au7)...
  21. bob smog

"Jacket printed in Canada" - Why?

I see "Jacket Printed in Canada" on many Lps in my collection and always assumed that printing in Canada was cheaper. Recently, I've read that in the 1970s, the Canadian government mandated that 33% of radio programming had to have Canadian content, which is defined as lyrics, artists, music...
  22. bob smog

So I had a Garage Sale...

Had a garage sale last week at my dad's place in Suburban Chicago. All the gear pictured was priced between $5-20. The only thing that sold were records, which were $1. Anything that wasn't classical got snapped up. There was plenty of traffic and we advertised on all media. Absolutely no...
  23. bob smog

Estate sale North Aurora IL. Lps audio gear car stuff

LPs look nice! I'm too far being in Chicago https://www.estatesales.net/IL/North-Aurora/60542/1627263
  24. bob smog

SME 3009 "Shure" Model ID

Hi all, I've had this arm sitting in a shoebox for the last 20 years. It was attached to a table I bought long ago. As near as I can tell, it's an early series II, non-improved. Arm tube is aluminum. Seems like most the parts are there. I have the antiskate weight. I'd like to get this...
  25. bob smog

Album Covers Altered by Previous Owners - What's in Your Collection?

I'll start with this...
Back
Top Bottom