Search results

1. S

New Pavane 6SN7-T?

Like others I'm sure, I spotted the super sexy looking Pavane 6SN7 in the new Shuggy 845 monos. Any news on when it will be available, price and comparison to the Blk Treasure cv-181z? Thanks! Randy
  2. S

Shuguang S845 MK Impressions

Ian, Maybe I'm missing them, but I can't see the 845 mono amps anywhere on the site? Thanks, Randy
  3. S

INT AMP with tube pre and SS power?

The Balanced Audio Tech. (VK-300 as I recall) is commonly made with either a 6922 or 6H30 'supertube' pre section with ss amp section. I have owned the 6922 version (twice!) and its a great amp!
  4. S

TJ Full Music 12AX7 listening impressions

TJ's & Black Treasures Hi Ian, I probably 'gave up' on the TJ Full Music 12AX7's too quickly; the person that ended up with them absolutely loves 'em after a good 100-150 additional hours----I just had way too many NOS treasures to try:D. Any news on the Black Treasure 5U4G tube that we...
  5. S

A-534B: Stupid Question and more thoughts

Here's a link to Alan's site: http://alanmaherdesigns.com/default.aspx. Right now I'm running a Raytheon JAN-CRP 5U4G blackplate, eagerly awaiting a Black Treasure 5u4G :)!!
  6. S

Quad 4270

Thanks Hal. Believe I'll pass! Still happy with my 2240 that's sings quite happily and is a great FM source. Randy
  7. S

Thanks Rachel; that's what I kinda guessed. I'm not convinced that there is significant difference in the overall sound, but I can say that when I'm very close to my amp, I can detect a tiny hum from the pwr transformer---when I place one of Alan's ICBF's on top of the the pwr transformer pot...
  8. S

Quad 4270

A member on ACircle is selling a Quad 4270; he's near/in St. Louis and reports the receiver has some problems. no affiliation with the seller & I dont have much knowledge re the 4270 model, but would like to get any insight from the group here.
  9. S

First, following up a bit on my older thread: I'm loving my A-534B more and more the longer its in the system. :banana: Now for my stupid question: where, physically, as I look at the amp from the front, is/are the ac/pwr transformers located? I've got a spare Alan Maher ICBF that I'm...
  10. S

"Old" GF Forum Threads?

Duh; that makes sense. Guess my brain hasn't reengaged yet after celebrating Christmas LOL! Thanks Ian and Happy Holidays! Randy
  11. S

"Old" GF Forum Threads?

Hi, since the link on the GF website to the "forum" now leads here to AK, is there any place/any way to to continue to access and read the old threads that had been posted on the GF forum? Thanks, Randy
  12. S

2240 has arrived

Thanks Harry! I picked up some of the RS wire you indicated; much easier to use. Randy
  13. S

2240 has arrived

I got the 2240 installed and gave it a first listen in my main rig Thursday night. With a MW Transporter feeding its aux inputs, the 2240 drives my DA-RMa's very nicely! I'm not going to be giving up my 300B SET integrated anytime soon :), but the Marantz sounds very nice. Certainly a nice ss...
  14. S

2240 has arrived

Wow, Wizargoz, that statement makes me even more impatient to listen to the 2240; I still letting it warm up a bit before I plug in the AC though. I'm a tube guy myself, so this may be very interesting.
  15. S

2240 has arrived

Barney, No real plans yet; thought is that in my setup, the 2240 will drive the B&W outdoor spkrs on the patio deck ultimately. In the meantime I'll play with it in my main system, where it will drive Daedalus Audio DA-RMa's (large monitors; nominal 6 ohm, fairly flat, 96 db sensitivity)...
  16. S

2240 has arrived

After many years of wanting to get a vintage Marantz receiver, I pulled the trigger and my 2240 arrived today. My high school science teacher back in the 70's had a 1060, TT and large Advents---so I blame him for this disease that I, along with I suspect many others here, have contracted--the...
  17. S

GF A-534B Integrated--initial impressions

Short update: I've been rolling a number of NOS 12AX7's and 12AT7's thru the amp. I continue to be very, very happy with the sound of this bad boy!! So far, I think my favorite 'pre' section tubes are: (1) Brimar "yellow T" 12AT7's; (2) Pope (Holland) 12ax7's; (3) Amperex longplate, foil...
  18. S

Wow, that's really tempting. I will likely stick with stock and tuberolls for a while, but at some point I would really like to have the wire changed, plus the bias resistors and the Euro oil caps installed--I need to find someone that can competently do the mods, as this is way out of my level...
  19. S

Short update. I've rolled some 50's vintage Amperex longplate, D getter foil strip 12ax7's in the amp. These are great in this application for my tastes; very musical and liquid sound! This evening I blew a fuse in my amp; I temporarily replaced the A-534B with my Cary SLI-80....after 5...
  20. S

I've been listening to the A-534B since Wednesday afternoon, finally had a chance to listen more extensively last night and this a.m. This was the RMAF demo, with the tube upgrades (Black Treasure 300B's & 6CA7's, and TJ Full Music 12ax7's). My spkrs are Daedalus Audio DA-RMa's (with a REL...
  21. S

Show Sale - RMAF 2009 Demos

Great; I got the 'blue' version of the cv-181 from you but haven't dared try them in my Modwright Transporter since I read the AC thread about one guy having problems. I use them as driver tubes in my Cary amp now. Would love to be able to try them in the Transporter.... Cheers, Randy
  22. S

Dan Wright (Modwright) will be running the DA-RMa's in his room (1010); Daedalus will have the big brother Ulysses spkrs going in their room (1030 I believe). I was just joking of course that you could run the A-534B on them, and I know the show has to be hectic--but do give the Daedalus...
  23. S

Ian, I have Grado RS-2 cans that I use a bit; my speakers are Daedalus Audio DA-RMa's (you can slip my amp over to one of the rooms running Lou's DA-RMa's and give me a preview :)). The speakers are 96 db, but Lou tells me that they like high current amps. My Cary SLI-80, in full triode mode...
  24. S

"Smart one" Thanks Ian, don't know if I qualify as a "smart one", but please do take care of my baby there at RMAF :D!! I can't wait to try it out; it will be my first experience with any SET amplification. Thanks, Randy
Back
Top Bottom