Search results

1. eedork

Dealing with heat in Luxman L-580

I just made a trade for a very nice-looking L-580 with a member here (thanks Frank!). Cosmetically, it is in great shape, but it had blown output transistors and obvious signs of heat around the Q706a/b and Q708a/b driver transistors on the power amp board. Unfortunately, this board is mounted...
  2. eedork

Dynaco Mark IV rebuild

I recently purchased two Dynaco Mark IVs to rebuild as a winter project. One amp was purchased locally and came with a complete set of original Dynaco tubes with full lettering. The second amp (because one monoblock is never a good thing) was purchased from CA. The second amp also had all...
  3. eedork

Dynaco Mark IV quad cap question

I'm rebuilding a pair of Mark IVs now with new boards and quad caps. This may be a dumb question, but why shouldn't I just parallel the last two sections of the quad cap (30uF + 20uF) and run that to eyelet 8 while leaving eyelet 6 disconnected? It seems like this would benefit both the pentode...
  4. eedork

MX132 (134/135/136) rotary switches

Hey guys - I've been away from the forums for a while, but fall is almost here and it's time for me to get a few audio projects going. First up is some maintenance on my MX132. My plan is to clean up the fog between the blue diffuser and glass and address the erratic rotary switches that are...
  5. eedork

Luxman R106 info

I have a Luxman R106 that will be showing up within the next few days. I'm excited to get into it. I'm surprised at how little info there is about this and the very similar R404/405/406 series. Sadly I cannot find a service manual for it anywhere. If anyone happens to have one, please let me...
  6. eedork

Luxman R-115 high DC offset suddenly on one channel

Hey everyone - My Luxman R-115 had been working perfectly until last week when I started noticing a slight pop at power up. Turns out the right channel now has ~300mV of DC. This is apparently not enough to trigger the protection circuit since it boots normally and sounds great. I purchased...
  7. eedork

Nakamichi Receiver 1 rebuild

Hey everyone - I hope you're all hanging in there and doing okay. I need a project so I just picked up a broken Nakamichi Receiver 1 and am planning to repair and possibly recap it. Unfortunately I cannot find a service manual for it from the usual sources (basically every Nakamichi receiver...
  8. eedork

Starting Sony STR-7065 rebuild

I just picked up a beautiful and untouched Sony STR-7065 with wood case. It is dirty but will be cosmetically perfect once cleaned up. As a bonus it came with the wood case which is also in excellent condition, including the wood slats on top. Currently only the right channel works. The left...
  9. eedork

Kegger SE UL build questions

Hey guys - Hope everyone is having a great weekend! I need a winter project and am leaning towards a Kegger SE UL build using the schematic and parts list from Blueglow Electronics as a starting point. I will likely be using EL34s instead of KT88s since I have a nice stash of NOS and vintage...
  10. eedork

Control MX132 from C52

Hey guys - Another integration question. I have an MX132 with the tuner module installed. It actually sounds very, very nice to me. I'd like to know if there's a way that I can control the MX132 using the C52 remote. I've tried connecting a stereo cable from a data out port on the C52 to the...
  11. eedork

MCD205 control using C52 remote

Hey everyone - I've got a question about controlling an MCD205 using a C52 remote (HR085). Currently the MCD205 is connected via optical to the C52. I have one trigger cable and one data cable connected also. Using the HR085 I am able to skip, seek, stop, and play tracks on the MCD205...
  12. eedork

Sony CDP-208ESD

Picked up a clean Sony CDP-208ESD with remote today at GW. This is the first Sony ES player I've ever had my hands on and I'm very impressed. Looks like it was built in 1989 and it works flawlessly and sounds great! What's interesting is that it does not have fixed outputs - only variable which...
  13. eedork

Starting a Nakamichi SR-4A rebuild

Ever since selling my TA-3A here on AK last year I've wanted another STASIS receiver from Nakamichi. The TA-3A was excellent. It was not functioning when I purchased it but the experts here helped me get it going and then I recapped it entirely (I love recapping gear when I have the time). So I...
  14. eedork

McIntosh C35 recap

Just purchased a nice, working C35 and am planning to recap it. Everything works with one exception - the volume is very sensitive. Between 1 and 5 is about all I have for usable range. Not sure what's going on there but I haven't had the cover off yet to take a closer look. I'll be using...
  15. eedork

What's the best way to replace a signal strength meter on an MR78?

My recently acquired MR78 had a dead signal strength meter. I have sourced a new one, but am wondering how best to get at it. It is extremely tight behind the front panel .. any tips on how best to do this? It should only take a few minutes once I figure out how to get in there. Thanks! -Matt
  16. eedork

KLH Twenty One restoration question

Hey guys - I recently acquired a KLH Twenty One in fantastic condition. The speaker is date stamped August 4, 1966 and it sounds amazing for such a small radio that is over 50 years old. Although it was working, a few of the caps on the amp board were visibly bulging so I've now done a full...
  17. eedork

Very excited - just picked up an MC7300

My amp hunt is over (for now ..) and I'm very excited! I brought this beautiful MC7300 home this afternoon. It is in excellent condition and sounds wonderful driven by a C52 and powering a pair of Revel F32s. Limitless power in my relatively small room. It replaces many smaller amps that I've...
  18. eedork

McIntosh MC2100 - replace small signal transistors?

Hey guys - I've got a clean MC2100 that hadn't been turned on in over a year. This amp has had all of the electrolytic caps replaced recently, aside from the multi-cap and the main filter caps. This past weekend I decided to fire it up and rotate it into the system. Unfortunately after a few...
  19. eedork

MC7100 II trigger issue

Hey guys - Happy Holidays!! I have a strange issue with my MC7100 II (the newest version with balanced inputs and no panlocs). I've been studying the schematics and making measurements, and believe there may be a fault in the trigger circuit somewhere. I'm curious to know if any of you have...
  20. eedork

McIntosh 4100 power level indicator board

Hey guys - My MAC4100 rebuild saga continues. I've had some interesting issues with this receiver (see my thread on relay replacement) - here's another head scratcher. The right channel LED power level meter has always seemed more sensitive than the left channel. At first I figured this may be...
  21. eedork

McIntosh 4100 relay replacement question

Hi everyone! I've come across a strange issue related to the speaker protection relay (not the auto-on relay) in a McIntosh 4100 that I'm resurrecting. I'm creating a separate thread for this issue just to increase its visibility here in the forum. The speaker protection relay installed in my...
  22. eedork

McIntosh 4100 cap question

Hey guys - I'm putting together a parts list for a full recap on an early model McIntosh 4100. I've been working on the preamp board and came across some interesting caps that look like regular electrolytics, yet do not have a negative marking on the outer case. See the attached picture. Are...
  23. eedork

mysterious clip in McIntosh 4100

Hey guys - I just received a MAC4100 that is a little rough around the edges. Aside from a missing knob and some dirt, there is a mysterious clip (for lack of a better description) that was loose behind the glass when I unpacked it. I can't figure out where this clip goes or how it got behind...
  24. eedork

Concept 5.5 receiver repair

Hey everyone - I picked up a clean Concept 5.5 from DRecovery this past weekend with a blown channel. The amp board for the blown channel is crispy (see pictures) but should clean up and be easy to repair. Unfortunately Concept did not publish service manuals, and the schematic I've found is...
  25. eedork

Just installed a C52

I picked it up yesterday afternoon, installed it in the rack last night, and have been listening to it all morning. I upgraded from an MA6600/D100 which I was very happy with. My goal was to gain a little more flexibility, add a simple EQ, and pick up some of the new features that have been...
Back
Top Bottom