Search results

1. cdfac

Help with mobile PS solution for chip amp

Help!!! I'm tailgating this weekend with a pair of speakers and a Nobsound chip amp (2x TPA3116D2). I have a pair of 12V 20AHr batteries I was going to use to get the 24VDC input for the amp. Audiophile sound isn't a requirement, but that being said, I have plenty of old filter caps laying...
  2. cdfac

vintage Stax ad?

I seem to remember a vintage Stax ad with a young lady wearing a pair of Sigma ear speakers and missing a front tooth. I'm sure I saw it on here (if I didn't simply invent that memory), but I spent a bunch of time searching and can't find it with Google or anything else. Does anyone else...
  3. cdfac

Chi-Fi chip amp comparison -- Aiyima A07 (TPA3255) vs Nobsound Dual TPA3116

I'm going to be active bi-amping a pair of DIY speakers soon if I ever get around to finishing them, using a miniDSP SHD Streamer for DAC/crossover/EQ duties. Having been so pleased with the Nobsound Dual TPA3116 amp (50Wx2) for several years, I decided to add a second, slightly more powerful...
  4. cdfac

Cart recommendations for VPI Classic 3 arm

I'm currently running a Benz Micro Glider SM on a VPI Classic "2.5" with a Classic 3 arm (VTA tower, multicolor wire, shrink-tubed arm). It's a pretty nice combo with the Wyn Palmer DIY phono stage. It could probably hit a little harder in the bottom end, but it has an overall balanced, detailed...
  5. cdfac

Quicksilver M60 issue

Picked up a pair of M60 mono amps over the weekend. Didn't have a chance to test them but because I could only take out half the purchase price from the ATM and the seller was cool, he allowed me to pay him the balance later. Probably a lucky deal, because about 1 minute after I hook up and...
  6. cdfac

Anyone heard a VAC Vintage line stage?

Looking at one tomorrow along with some other gear, but not able to listen. If I wasn't mainly using a miniDSP SHD these days, I'd definitely grab it, but less sure of my desire unless it's that good. It has been factory upgraded. This is the model with no phono stage and just two tubes total.
  7. cdfac

Minidsp SHD running Volumio, integrating NAS?

I just purchased a miniDSP SHD, which combines streaming, DIRAC room correction/DSP, and general preamp capabilities. For streaming, it has a built-in mini-computer that runs Volumio. I already have a Squeezebox Touch setup that runs off a local PC server with an external HD, but I have that...
  8. cdfac

AU-717 - unraveling previous repair

I took on an AU-717 restore job for an AK buddy and quickly found a few curiosities. One channel has the usual 2SA747/2SC1116 output pair, but the other has a 2SA747A/2SC1585 pair. That channel also has a 2SB536 driver subbed in for the usual 2SB537. Finally, 2 of the 4 filter caps have been...
  9. cdfac

Dimple in compression driver diaphragm - audible issue?

I've always been curious if a dimple in a diaphragm like the one circled below (this is a Yamaha mid) would be audible. I'm sure you could probably measure some small resonance in the frequency response, but would you ever notice it?
  10. cdfac

1" horn driver down to ~1kHz in active 2-way?

Considering trying to mate up a 1" horn driver with a JBL 2235H at around 1-1.2kHz in a SEOS-12 horn. 1kHz is where the 2235H repsonse starts to drop off like a rock, although I could probably squeeze the crossover a bit higher (could even use 48dB/oct) with the miniDSP with DIRAC, and I can...
  11. cdfac

Benz Gullwing on VPI Classic?

Been thinking I might make the leap from Glider to Gullwing this summer. I find it somewhat comforting there are so few of either cartridge for sale on the used market (though I know part of it is probably the lack of US distributors in recent years). I have never had any issues with the...
  12. cdfac

Flutter on VPI Classic - solved! (check your pulley alignment)

Hopefully this helps some other VPI owner out there who might be struggling with a similar issue, including people who don't even know they have an issue. It probably affects the 300RPM motor more than the 600RPM motor. Since I've owned the table, I had noticed what sounded like a little...
  13. cdfac

HK250 input cap

I'm trying to understand one or two things about the audio circuit for my new HK250 amp that I just received. Here is the amp schematic. While the amp has already been refurbed, the 10pF ("100") ceramic cap between the input and pin one of the 6CG7 is still original, and it's something I'm...
  14. cdfac

Advice for active/DSP/EQ 2-way horn project

I recently bought a pair of SEOS-12 horns with Selenium D220ti drivers with the intention of making something similar to either the Jeff Bagby "Alpha 12 Zephyr" or "Fusion 12 Tempest." I know the D220ti is a bit different than the Denovo DNA-360 that would have come with either kit. That being...
  15. cdfac

Hk250 output tube matching?

Looks like I'm going to be the new owner of an HK250. I see the amp is cathode bias with balance pots for each output pair. Realistically, how close to the output tubes have to be matched? Is it more about matching current draw or transconductance? Thanks in advance for the help!
  16. cdfac

Benz Micro Glider vs Wood differences?

I have a Benz Micro Glider SM and love the sound. For some time I've been wondering: is their Wood line simply the Glider inside a wood outer body? I haven't been able to find a straight answer to this question anywhere else online. Their product line documentation essentially includes only...
  17. cdfac

Extra antiskate twist(s) on VPI Classic 10" tonearm?

Per the owners manual, I put an extra clockwise twist in the LEMO connector to add more antiskate force. Why I care about it is mostly because I'm interested in minimizing record wear, but there does seem to be a slight sonic degradation when there is too much or too little force. I think that...
  18. cdfac

Longevity of Sylvania 6CA7s?

I'm wondering what kind of longevity I might be able to expect out of the NOS big bottle 6CA7s I've been running for about a year. They don't sound one bit degraded. They are triode strapped on a single ended amp, probably around 1000 hours in that time, but I almost always have no more than one...
  19. cdfac

"Cheap" DACs that beat out Squeezebox Touch internal DAC?

First things first, the Touch internal DAC circuit is quite good for the money, especially with a quality linear P.S. in place of the wall wart (IMHO) -- the AK4420 is surprisingly well implemented here. I've been running one Touch or another for 9+ years now as my main digital source as pretty...
  20. cdfac

Star Quad cable from PCB to attenuators?

I'm building a standalone LOMC preamp with dual mono volume attentuators. As I have some leftover Star Quad cable from building RCA interconnects, I was thinking of using a short run of that between the PCB and each of the attenuators (8" max). Since there are 4 conductors plus a shield, I have...
  21. cdfac

ID 6V6GT by its top mica?

Any thoughts? Never seen top micas like these before, or these types of ears. Gray glass with dark gray or black plates.
  22. cdfac

VPI Classic 3 Signature tonearm with Benz Glider -- question

My recently acquired VPI Classic has a Classic 3 Signature arm with the standard 140g counterweight. When I loaded up my Benz Micro Glider SM (6.8g), I found that I had to move the weight all the way up AND remove the end stub in order to just barely get it to the recommended ~1.7g tracking...
  23. cdfac

Anybody built the DIY Sound Group Titan 615LX?

I've built a set of DIYSG speakers before and loved them (Alpha Zephyr), but I wasn't committed enough to tube amperage at the time to hold onto them (which I regret now). Now I'm able to purchase a different DIYSG speaker, the Titan 615LX, already built which isn't a big deal to me since they...
  24. cdfac

MC cart with too high load resistance?

Generally speaking, what is the sonic result of putting too much resistance on the load of an MC cart for an LOMC phono stage? We are talking about within a factor of two difference from ideal, maybe, nothing crazier than that. I changed carts and loading, and I'm hearing both some good and...
  25. cdfac

which Excitable Boy pressing - Friday Music, Music on Vinyl, or Rhino?

Wondering if anyone on here has compared any of these with each other and/or the original pressing on Asylum? I'm dying to get a really good copy, but I haven't had much luck locally and thought perhaps I might buy new. I wish Audio Fidelity could have put out an LP release from the SACD...
Back
Top Bottom