Search results

1. MoreCowbell

Akai GX-M10 Belt Replacement Completed

That's exactly how I replaced mine. Dental pick included. I contemplated doing this, but I really wanted to replace all three belts, so I figured out how to unscrew that third screw on the back plate. Pulling back the power supply block is key for doing that. If I'm understanding you...
  2. MoreCowbell

Akai GX-M10 Belt Replacement Completed

I purchased a belt replacement pack from www.vintage-electronics.net for my GX-M10 cassette deck and now it plays good as new. I couldn’t find much info on how to do this before I started, so I figured it out on my own and decided to post the belt replacement procedure here. It only took me...
  3. MoreCowbell

Fujiya R2R Recapped But Still Hums

I started using my Fujiya reel to reel recorder again after eight years and the 60hz line hum has increased to the point that I can’t record usable audio when connecting the monitor (ear phone) jack to my computer. I did clean the offending switch, previously mentioned in this thread, with...
  4. MoreCowbell

Interstellar

I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. Its scope was bigger than I was expecting which required a little bit of a mental adjustment during the movie. The story is complex enough that a lot of people are asking questions on internet bulletin boards. Beware of Interstellar's message board on...
  5. MoreCowbell

My first good find...

That's a fantastic find. A nice vintage Pioneer unit in working order that you got for a good price might even qualify as a scroe. I noticed in the underside pic that it's got quite a few wire wound resistors. (The small green tubular looking thingies.) Don't toss any of those out unless...
  6. MoreCowbell

Soundtracks-extreme audio

I'll offer the soundtracks from the anime series Ghost in the Shell (GitS). In addition to being some really good music, the quality and sonics of the recordings is exceptional. The first track of the soundtrack from season 2 is astonishing and would make an excellent demo track to test anyone's...
  7. MoreCowbell

"IBAM" Module Design Almost Finalized For 500-C!

I'll be watching with interest as I want to do something similar for an IBAM install on my 500C. I've got all the parts to include most likely the same Radio Shack board that you mention. Was leaning toward mounting everything in a small black plastic box with holes cut out for the trim pots...
  8. MoreCowbell

Heathkit rebirth ? Tell them what you want.

Completed the survey. It indicated a distinct interest in ham radios and computer programming. Virtually nothing regarding home audio/stereo gear, but that's what surveys are supposed to determine. I'm not really expecting this effort to culminate in the rebirth of Heathkit, but I wish them...
  9. MoreCowbell

The Tony Awards

Neil Patrick Harris has done an exceptional job hosting the Tony's, Emmy's and People's Choice award shows. The first time he hosted a show, which was a few years back, he had an opening that was better than tonight's, and tonight's was very good. His openings shouldn't be missed and are...
  10. MoreCowbell

Stargate Universe, I dont believe it!

I feel your pain Pita. When I first heard that the show was cancelled, I was extremely disappointed, almost heartbroken, and I'm a happy guy. The show had a very different tone from the other Stargate series and also focused more on the characters versus story lines, and was marketed as such...
  11. MoreCowbell

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Saw it this evening. Really enjoyed it and was actually better than I was expecting. I like JJ Abrams take on Star Trek and Benedict Cumberbatch did a heck of a job as the villain. Don't read read reviews before seeing the movie as they are giving away too much. Was enjoyably surprised about...
  12. MoreCowbell

SONY R2R motor cap replacement

I would also like to know where that cap came from. I looked all over for a new motor run cap for my Sony TC-230 a few years ago but couldn't find one that was physically similar. I stumbled upon a cap identical to the one you got off of eBay at a local electronics store and purchased it...
  13. MoreCowbell

Grommes 56PG Refurb - Need a Little Help

Hum Both amps, one of which is completed, have an identical hum problem. It's a very low level 60hz hum that doesn't increase with volume. I have to put my ear close to the speaker to hear it but it's loud enough to bother me especially since both amps sound so good, other than the hum...
  14. MoreCowbell

Gidget's Dad Building a Tube Amp - Can You Identify it?

It was episode 10 titled "All the best diseases are taken."
  15. MoreCowbell

It's impressive how quickly members of AK were able to ID the amp, and soldering gun no less. Totally expected. And yes. I also think Miss Field is still trying to figure out that 12AX7.
  16. MoreCowbell

Had the TV on a channel that broadcasts vintage shows today and was surprised to see Gidget's dad, actor Don Porter, with a tube amp kit. It was shown at the beginning and then again at the very end of the episode. The attached pictures are jaggy due to the quality of the broadcast which was...
  17. MoreCowbell

Best caps and resistors for the money

Why do you not trust NTE? I'm curious because I just finished using a bunch of them in the refurb of two amps. Thanks, -Paul
  18. MoreCowbell

Any D/FW MeetUps or Hangouts?

There have been two DFW area get togethers within the past 6 months that had very low turnout. The AK member who hosted them said that he might try to put together another one. If enough people express an interest and can commit to one, then it might happen. These were great opportunities to...
  19. MoreCowbell

500c Power Supply Capacitance Increase - How Much?

OK. I'm going to restuff the power supply cap can with 47/47/47uf @ 500/450/350WV. I usually get my power supply caps from JustRadios.com but they don't list a 47uf @ 500WV. AES does so I'll use them this time. Larry et al, Thank you for your help and for explaining the capacitor changes...
  20. MoreCowbell

Larry, I am familiar with your valuable contributions on this site and appreciate your help, but I am confused by your answer. You state that I should leave the power supply caps as stock as possible (40uf) but then go on to reference them at 47uf. I will likely restuff the cans, so what...
  21. MoreCowbell

I'm refurbishing a newly acquired 500c to include rebuilding the power supply. I have spent the past couple of days on AK and cannot find much info about the power supply capacitance like I do with almost every other tube amp. I did see one person suggest increasing the three 40uf sections of...
  22. MoreCowbell

Let's see your Fisher gear!

The friend of an elderly neighbor passed away and the neighbor knew that I was into "old stereos." They were clearing out the friend's house, since there was no surviving family, and the neighbor called me. If there was anything that I liked, the neighbor and another friend encouraged me to take...
  23. MoreCowbell

Silvertone speakers?

On further investigation I discovered that the caps on both crossovers have gone bad. When I temporarily jumped the caps, all of the drivers played. One of the caps had apparently been replaced and one of its leads was broken. I was a little surprised at how high I had to turn the volume up...
  24. MoreCowbell

Silvertone speakers?

Silvertone Model 7429 I've been looking for a pair of speakers for use in testing my tube gear refurb projects and picked up a pair of these at an estate sale today. I was unfamiliar with the brand name but they have decent cabinets. Looks like wood veneer too. Initial hookup of one of them...
  25. MoreCowbell

Safety Cap Install - Hot or Neutral Side

OK. Thank you very much for the help.
Back
Top Bottom