Search results

1. S

Help! I inserted the wrong tubes

Ah! Soliciting help and advice here. I’m wondering if I broke anything or if this is no big deal... I have a Conrad-Johnson PV12 preamp (with the phono stage). It was all-original when I got it a few years ago and while it still sounded great, I figured it was probably time to replace the 20+...
  2. S

Daily drinker whiskey

Hey everyone! I’m in need of a new, good “daily drinker” whiskey. I generally prefer darker, peaty Scotch, but my favorites from that category are a little spendy. I’m open to just about any suggestions, but am wary of the sweeter brown spirits. (Southern Comfort and I are NOT friends.) Any...
  3. S

5.1 - surround speaker placement

Greetings! Friend of mine is about to set up his first speaker / home theater system of any kind. I found him a nice little set of Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers and a Marantz SR5007 to go with ‘em, but the room he’s going to put everything in (for now) is not conducive to placing the surround...
  4. S

I need some new music...

...in my life. Maybe I'm picky, maybe I haven't been exposed to enough -- I don't know. All I do know is I've been in a rut lately, and while I love rockin' in that rut, even the wife is starting to credibly accuse me of being a serial "repeater." So, help! My "rut" has been classic rock 'n...
  5. S

Tubes for my CJ PV-12

Greetings! I'm bidding on an AK auction, and suppose I should ask before I *acutally* win...does anyone know / care to opine on how well some RCA 5963s would work in my Conrad Johnson PV-12? I'm totally new to tube-audio, so I have no idea what I'm doing... I presume if the slot calls for a...
  6. S

Dumb question - sorry

But can I swap tubes in and out of, say, a pre-amplifier (in my case, a Conrad Johnson PV-12) while the unit is powered off, but still plugged in, without issue? Or is it recommended to unplug the sucker first?
  7. S

Crazy idea -- drawer-mounted equipment?

Okay, I have another (crazy) idea brewin'. Has anyone ever mounted a piece of equipment like a drawer? Here's my dilemma: I have a Conrad Johnson PV-12 preamp that, for now, is serving mainly as a phono section. I've shoe-horned it into my system because it's my only piece of tube-based...
  8. S

Headshell weights -- downside?

Greetings! I'm about to implement a crazy scheme with my turntable and am wondering if there are any downsides to the use of headshell weights. Any reason not to use them? I have two identical headshells for my Technics SL-1301. I currently rock an Ortofon 2M Black, but am about to be the...
  9. S

Help with tonearm / headshell / cartridge matching

Greetings everyone! I suppose now is the part I admit I have no idea what I'm doing. Having dived in head-first with enthusiasm, I now seek the logic / science / etc. to catch up, with all you kind folks' help... My primary turntable is a Technics SL-1301. Totally stock, far as I can tell, save...
  10. S

Help! Distortion / sibilance on test record

Help! I got a new headshell today (Ortofon LH-2000) with the intention of using it with my Ortofon 2M Black on my Technics SL-1301 turntable. Unfortunately, the LH-2000 isn’t as long as the Technics headshell, so even with the 2M mounted all the way at the end the needle doesn’t reach the little...
  11. S

Phase inversion correction

Greetings everyone! As I am wont to do, I may be over-thinking and/or over-building something, in this case my audio setup. But essentially, I'm wondering if there's another way to correct for a pre-amp's phase inversion aside from swapping the positive-negative at my amplifier outputs. Any...
  12. S

RCA switch box

Greetings! Anyone out there have any experience with this unit? Seems like a great value, but I'm a little worried about degrading the signal... https://vetco.net/products/2-way-stereo-audio-rca-switch-box/vupn10317
  13. S

Nak OMS-7Aii issue

Greetings everyone! I just went out on a limb and bought a really nice-looking Nak OMS-7Aii. I'm told I'm just the second owner, and with the condition she's in I believe it. But, unfortunately, the player has a problem. It powers on and loads CDs okay, but one the disc is in it doesn't start...
  14. S

RX-505 issue

Greetings everyone! My apologies if this has been covered before; I've searched a little, but not extensively... :/ I bought an RX-505 last week, and it arrived yesterday. I'm told I'm only the second owner, and with the condition she's in I believe it -- she looks near-mint, at least from the...
  15. S

Modern pre-pro / old school pre-amp integration

Greetings everyone! Has anyone been successful integrating an older pre-amp unit with a system also using a more...complex modern pre-pro? I have a Marantz AV8801 running my main system (the only “real” system in the house), and I don’t really have the room or the means for another setup. But...
  16. S

AV8801 -- analog output

Greetings everyone! I have an AV8801 and am about to integrate a tape deck into my system. The AV8801 (thankfully!) has one analog output ("Media Player") I will connect to the tape deck's Rec Input, so I can record things like records, etc. My question is, does anyone know if signals going to...
  17. S

Nakamichi DR-10

Hello everyone! What are your thoughts on Nak’s DR-10? I was recently given a near-mint condition one that works well, but I don’t know a lot about it. I know it’s Discrete Three-Head, and one of their later models, but other than that it doesn’t seem to be one of their well-known (or...
  18. S

Tape Rec In on modern pre-pro?

Greetings everyone!! So, I've got room for one proper system in my house, and it has to do full duty -- home theater and stereo / audio-only listening. It's not ideal, sure, but I just don't have room for a separate system or a separate audio-only pre-amp. I know that will probably be many...
  19. S

McIntosh MX-150/151 -- analog, digital outputs?

Greetings everyone! I'm not currently the owner of any McIntosh gear, but I'm eyeing upgrading my current pre-pro and have my sights set on a McIntosh MX-150 (or 151). But, looking at the 150/151, it doesn't appear to sport any analog or digital source outputs -- just pre-outs for feeding...
  20. S

Nakamichi PA-7 cracking/sparking sound

Greetings all! So I have this awesome Nak PA-7. One-owner, essentially, so I know its history -that is to say, none. It’s never had any issues, or ever been to any amp doctor for a real problem (the closest being when it blew its a fuse a couple of months ago, for no apparent reason). It sure...
  21. S

Too much power for the speakers?

Hmmm...the upgrade bug bit me hard and I have a Bel Canto eVo4 I'm about to wire up to my Boston Lynnfield 500L speakers. I love these speakers (don't care what Stereophile says!!) and, given how rare they seem to be, I don't want to risk damaging them. Apparently the Lynnfields say maximum...
  22. S

AV7005 Outlaw Guide

Greetings everyone! This ridiculous manual for my new (to me) AV7005 has got me down. Lots of info, to be sure, but it's not always...clear. Rumor has it Outlaw Audio made a guide for these that is much better, but every time I try to get it from their website it gives me an internal server...
  23. S

Balanced to unbalanced connection?

Greetings! Suppose I have a preamp with balanced and unbalanced outputs. The balanced have a rated output of 2.4V; the unbalanced, 1.2V. Then, suppose, I have an awesome legacy amp with only unbalanced inputs. That amp has an input sensitivity of 2V. Do I want to use XLR-to-RCA cables to...
  24. S

AV7005 -- HDMI audio

Greetings everyone! I'm soon to be the proud owner of a Marantz AV7005, and have some questions for you all before I start hooking her up. I've never had an HDMI receiver/pre-pro before, so currently my HDMI video sources feed straight to the Tee-Vee. A separate optical audio feed then carries...
  25. S

AV7005 owners!

Greetings! I just bought a used AV7005 to replace my current receiver. While it's on its way to me, I thought I'd ask you Marantz aficionados out there about the 7005. Any tips / tricks that are worth knowing? How about bugs / annoyances? And it seems some folks have had trouble with the...
Back
Top Bottom