Search results

1. d-ray657

What surprise have you pulled out of your collection lately?

Digging through the stack of LPs, Elton John's 11-17-70 caught my eye. It had been awhile since I listened to it, and I had forgotten how terrific a performance Elton put on in that radio concert. It was definitely worth brushing off the dust. How about you? Have you pulled out an album that...
  2. d-ray657

Anecdotal evidence of the need for room treatment.

I had rehabbed a pair of ADC speakers, which I gave to a friend for a housewarming gift. I took over an old Kenwood KR 5400 that I had just been using to test the speakers at home. They sounded quite nice in my basement, where I have put rugs on the floor, acoustic tiles on the walls, and some...
  3. d-ray657

New tweeter for AR?

I have a pair of AR-93 that I have re-foamed, re-capped, and re-covered. I have been generally satisfied with the sound, but I was never impressed with the paper tweeter. I have some extra EPI inverted dome tweeters laying around, and a pair of silk dome tweeters. Any ideas on what might be...
  4. d-ray657

Another Turntable Hum question

I just bought a CR-1020. I have cleaned it and applied Deoxit. Tested it downstairs with several different speakers and a few different CD players and Cassette players. Nice quiet and clean sound. I installed it in my main system, and got a low hum from the TT. It is a Sony PS 5 direct...
  5. d-ray657

Van Morrison - Roll With the Punches

I have been waiting for this one for a bit, and it exceeded expectations. Van dedicated an entire album to the blues. And he knows how to deliver them, with a little help from Jeff Beck. Hard to imagine two septuagenarians delivering at this level.
  6. d-ray657

Is an emotional connection to music important?

What prompted me to discuss this subject is my recent attempt, once again, to learn to appreciate Astral Weeks. I was unmoved by it when I first bought it (several years after it was released). After a few years, I took the time last week to listen to it two more times. I remain unmoved. I...
  7. d-ray657

Dead Altec 415C

A friend had some Altecs that need new caps and L-pads. When I looked at them, I noticed that there was no sound coming out of one of the woofers. The model number is 415C Biflex. I pulled the driver and put a meter on it, and it registered no current travelling through either the connectors...
  8. d-ray657

Trying to help a friend with his Altecs

A friend has a pair of old Altecs that he got from his Father in law. The cabinets do not have a model number on them, but I looked on the inside and saw Altec 415C Biflex" on the 15" woofers. There were small horn tweeters. I saw no model number, but they were identified as "Electrovoice...
  9. d-ray657

If I want to get started in tubes . . .

So, I've spent several years enjoying this audio veture at various levels. Now, I'm thinking of dipping my toes into the tube portion of the hobby. I have a nice small Sonance power amp. I am wondering whether a better start into tubes is with a tube preamp or a tube power amp. In which way...
  10. d-ray657

The notes not played

I wish I could recall the originator of the thought I am about to paraphrase, but I can't. I remember a musician commenting that the notes not played are as important to a composition as the notes that are played. When I listen to BB King play the guitar in "The Thrill is Gone," I think of...
  11. d-ray657

So what to mess up this weekend?

I was attracted to this audio hobby in part because it would allow me to accomplish something with my hands to balance with my day job as a paper-pusher. Turns out that I am much better suited to be a paper-pusher. I’ve started a re-capping project by pulling the caps without taking note of...
  12. d-ray657

Anyone heard of Sam Baker

I hadn't heard of him until today. He'll be in KC next month for a 35th anniversary celebration for the music show "Cypress Avenue." I found a few songs on Youtube, and his voice is very rough, but his story is amazing, as is his songwriting. Regards, D-Ray
  13. d-ray657

CMC LS-130, Four Years Later

These CMC LS-130 were some of the first speakers I bought when I caught this audio bug several years ago. From what I have read here, these were manufactured for the CMC music stores by Utah. I have always liked their look, and for that matter their sound, but they needed some work. I have...
  14. d-ray657

Have you ever thought

Have you ever thought about how much gear that the members of AK have collectively kept out of the landfills. I was just reading some hints for fixing things that I didn't think I could fix. Many of the speakers I have I have because someone thought the bad foam meant that they were ruined...
  15. d-ray657

Another mystery speaker

So my wife made the mistake of suggesting that I kill time at the Goodwill while waiting to meet her for dinner. I found these mystery speakers. The drivers were all glued in - no screws. I thought this was a Franken speaker, but when I was able to pry the drivers out, there were no screw...
  16. d-ray657

Still don't get tired of Leo Kottke

Saw him for the eighth time tonight. None of his stories were repeats. I didn't mind hearing some of the songs again. His encore was something new and amazing on the 12 string. Maybe next year will be number 9. Regards, D-Ray
  17. d-ray657

Confusing crossover on ADC 300AX

When I pulled the drivers from a pair of ADC 300AX, I noticed that there was a wire running from the positive terminal of the woofer to the positive terminal of the tweeter. The wire runs through a 6uf capacitor. Because it seemed a little unusual, I dug into the boxes for the crossover. The...
  18. d-ray657

I heard Mama and Papa talking

I heard my Papa tell my Mama, "Let that boy boogie woogie, 'cause it's in him, and it sure enough has to come out." That is all. Regards, D-Ray
  19. d-ray657

The Wailin Jennys speaker test

I've recently been motivated to cull the herd of speakers. Been spending time completing projects to get them ready to go out the door - re-foaming, re-finishing, etc. I happened to have the Wailin Jenny's in the CD player when I recently hooked up some of the speakers to check them out...
  20. d-ray657

With a total lack of objectivity

I post this link out of parental pride and out of some sense that, even as a biased observer, this band is sounding good. The band's name is Sobriquet, and here is a link to their new CD. As mentioned, I can't listen to the stuff objectively, because my son is the bass player (and backup...
  21. d-ray657

New to me Allied Model 395

This Allied Model 395 is a recent garage sale find. (I understand that it is a rebadged Pioneer 1000tx) I cleaned it up, gave the pots a bath with deoxit and faderlube, and gave it a listen. What a nice surprise. :thmbsp: It has a very nice tone, according the the idiom applicable here, it...
  22. d-ray657

Time travel

I was a college junior when Bruce Springsteen's "Darkness on the Edge of Town" was released. It was the first Springsteen I owned, and became a constant occupant of the turntable. With that and "The River" I saw Bruce as a a working man's hero. His dirges about factory life and the overall...
  23. d-ray657

For KC area rock fans

OK, more parental bragging here. The kid's band, Sobriquet, has a gig this week in KC. It's Wednesday night, 10-26 at the Riot Room in Westport. I have enjoyed watching this band evolve over the last couple of years. Last time I saw them perform was a couple of weeks ago in Lawrence. Of...
  24. d-ray657

I didn't need two more pair of speakers

Stopped by a garage sale on the way into the office today. Two deals were just too good to refuse. The guy was selling for $10/pair some EPI 90 and AVID Model 102. Both pairs had woofers that needed to be refoamed. I had plenty of experience with the smaller EPI, so that was easy. No...
  25. d-ray657

OK maybe the speakers are the most important

I recently picked up a mid 90's Technics receiver (SA GX670) that is probably mid-fi at best. It came with a matching CD changer. I wasn't expecting great shakes, but it sounded pretty nice on a pair of AR Connoisseurs. Then I did a recap on my EPI 100's, and I find the sound as good as...
Back
Top Bottom