Search results

1. E

Altec 288d?

It's documented ( at least it used to be over at GPA within their diaphragm substitution page ) that the 288B had an impedance controlling ring ( I believe it was ) that needed to be removed before a successful fit-up of ( the newer ) replacement type diaphragms could occur. I believe the...
  2. E

Altec 288d?

The two product sheets indicate 2 different standard impedances ( 24-ohms vs 16-ohms >> 288C vs 288D ). The diaphragms you have are the newer style ( hopefully they're the same impedance >> best to measure them for resistance with your multimeter for some reference ). - The number ( 035414 )...
  3. E

Mounting 288c on mr954a mantaray

Yep, you'll need to make an adapter. Here ya go! The following snippet came from a 4-page spec sheet for that horn ( that can be found online ). :)
  4. E

Great Plains Audio Status - Anyone with Factual Information?

No need to assume anything. If one has an immediate need for some Altec//GPA service, the obvious approach is to call to see if they ( the new owners of GPA ) can service that need. :)
  5. E

Great Plains Audio Status - Anyone with Factual Information?

FYI, GPA Closing? Todd has a long-term history with Bill H. , as well as Altec proper before that ( if Todd says GPA is sold, then it's sold ). I'm confident he'll pass along any new info about this evolving situation in a timely manner. I think that's as good as it gets for now. :)
  6. E

Russian paper diaphrams for Altec horns

FYI, Here's a pic ( taken of a bifurcated 511b ) that bFish put together ages ago ( for those who want to create a 511e from a 511b ). :)
  7. E

Metallized Polypropylene vs non-polar electrolytics for cross-over caps larger than 10 uf ?

Parts Connexion sell a few varieties of decent BiPolar electrolytics ( non-polar is a common misnomer ). Also, in most peoples worlds, MKP ( metalized polypropylene ) capacitors are held in higher esteem than Mylar ( Film & Foil ) or MKT ( metalized mylar ) types. :)
  8. E

Moving mass (MMD and MMS) Calculation - JBL 122A-1 recone

@C Hart FWIW, some of your numbers ( methodologies of inclusion & exclusions ) seem off to me. Assuming your scale is accurate, an ( all-in ) static measurement of around 104grams ( which excludes air-load ) means that old cone-kit ( that included the 10gram mass ring ) would have a working...
  9. E

Moving mass (MMD and MMS) Calculation - JBL 122A-1 recone

Hi, Good Effort!! If you do a bit of digging, you'll eventually find out that the "air-load" for most typical 12" woofers >> is in the area of 8-9 grams. For instance, study the info at the following link; Loudspeaker Database ( I've already narrowed most of the important parameters ) I...
  10. E

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Yep, I bought mine from AliExpress. :)
  11. E

Here ya go! Some Notes: (i) I've included an optional LCR notch to flatten that peak seen at 1800hz . - ( both Zilch & Pete Schumacher talked about including similar when they collaborated on the Deluxe 2512 ( or whatever its called ). - It really is necessary due to that "hump" in the...
  12. E

So, assuming your project is still a go ( and assuming you've now got those ELX112 clones in hand ) >> mount the woofer on the front of the baffle - ( IOW, ignore Zilchs original directions to rear mount the woofer ). The Reason ? : This little WG ( EV ELX112 ) is 1.25" shallower than...
  13. E

Non issue that is an issue with Tannoy C8 speakers.

I've just read that the "crossover" consists of a single electrolytic capacitor ( with the woofer running full-range like the "famed" EPI-100 ). - You need to confirm this ( plus the caps value ) one way or another. For an @ 1990's speaker, that HiPass cap is now old and aging ( for it's type...
  14. E

Choice of capacitor

All capacitors in the playback chain contribute ( their own personalities ) to your sound experience. It's just one big "mashup". For Instance; I Bi-amp my system but choose to still passively HiPass ( & EQ ) my CD/Horn combo because I like the experience of having more direct control...
  15. E

Choice of capacitor

I believe that this is the speaker model in question. And this is the crossover ( for the above ). I believe the intent here is somewhat a bit of an ear-training exercise ( on a budget ) >> so immediately throwing a ton of lipstick onto a pig might really defeat the purpose of the...
  16. E

Choice of capacitor

Hi nemohm, Here's a radial model for you to try out. > the "Muse" series from Nichicon, 100uF, Bi-Polar Here's the manufacturer's ( pdf ) tech-sheet for that series of BiPolars ( erroneously called Non-Polar by those who don't "get" how an electrolytic is designed ) Nichicon "Muse" Series (...
  17. E

Choice of capacitor

Yes, "NP means non-polarized". Since you're Cdn and displaying a cap from the Parts Connexion website, pay them their "Capacitor Matching-Fee" so you get relatively decent matchs for the 2 caps. Also, pay the $0.77Cdn extra for the following 5% Jantzen . Jantzen eleCap 100uF, 100V Sonically...
  18. E

Help needed understanding the JBL L56 crossover network

Neat! Thanks for the Measurements and Video . :)
  19. E

Personally, if you like the sound of them as they are >> I would just leave them be. Also, I've read here ( & other web-sites ) that some of the well regarded ( boutique ) capacitor makers >> never did learn how to make a good electrolytic capacitor ( at least one with any accuracy in...
  20. E

@tonnoplast So, ( also using JBLs parts designations in my simulation ) L3 along with C5 combine to form an LCR impedance equalizer ( meant to knock down the sharp impedance peak found at the Fs//resonance of most tweeters ). - The DCR of that L3 coil will be in the area of 7 - 8 ohms ( it's...
  21. E

QUICK AND DIRTY 4430 DIY help

.FRD and .ZMA files ( once made by the user with an acoustic measurement system and DATs ) are imported into XSim by; (i) Right-Clicking on a Driver Icon ( which has already been dragged over from the side menu for parts and placed on the virtual XSim pegboard ). (ii) That "Right-Clicking" on...
  22. E

EMPIRE 6000 crossovers

You really need a network schematic ( if your actual goal is to recap those crossovers ). Actual Parts numbers won't really help you at this point in time unless you can find a 1960's era catalog for Temple capacitors that correlates part# to uF value . Your best approach ( IMHO ) is to...
  23. E

JBL 035 ti damping foam- is this ok?

That foam looks ( to me ) to need replacing. The foam is supposed to lightly touch the inside of the Ti dome to damp the metal from excessive ringing. Now that your tweeters are apart it makes a lot of sense to keep going and replace the foam in both ( not that I've done it myself > fwiw ). A...
  24. E

What to do with these Altec Valencias?

@ibastian I'm not sure that you understand that the 5234a is an electronic crossover requiring you to use 2 amplifiers ( Biamp ). Another knock against that JBL unit is that it doesn't offer any HF compensation ( for the inevitable HF roll-off of most CD's working on most horns//waveguides...
  25. E

What to do with these Altec Valencias?

JBL 4355 used the 5234a to crossover ( at something like 290hz ) from the twin 15" woofers to the 12" midrange. :)
Back
Top Bottom