Search results

1. jameslauffer

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

3WS 94.5 Pittsburgh’s Classic Hits
  2. jameslauffer

Today's Blues Playlist

Etta Baker One-Dime Blues Rounder, CD 2112, 1991 I saw Etta in 1991 at the National Folk Festival in Johnstown, Pa.
  3. jameslauffer

Pittsburgh’s WESA 90.5 Rhythm Sweet & Hot followed by Saturday Night Jazz Tuner: Sherwood S-3000
  4. jameslauffer

Pittsburgh WWWS 94.5 Christmas music Sherwood S-3000
  5. jameslauffer

Stylus wear, a must read....

Thanks for posting the link. Jim
  6. jameslauffer

Systemdek IIX turntable - any good?

I used a IIX just like that one from approximately 1998 through 2002, except mine had a Shure V15 IV. I paid $300 for it and never experienced even a twinge of buyer’s remorse. I’d say, yes, it’s worth $400.
  7. jameslauffer

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

I forgot to congratulate you on the new speakers. I hope they work out for you. I’ve read a lot about the MP301, and it seems like a cool amp. Jim
  8. jameslauffer

How long have you owned the MP301? I have been intrigued by that amp for a while. (I use a restored Scott 299.) What phono stage do you use? Jim
  9. jameslauffer

In the late 1990s, Arnold Steinhardt, the first violinist of the Guarneri Quartet, published a book, “ Indivisible by Four,” which I thought was a very good read. I used a Harman Kardon 330c four three or four years in the early 2000s, and I liked it very much.
  10. jameslauffer

Congratulations on the new cartridge! What are your initial impressions? Jim
  11. jameslauffer

Thanks! Jim
  12. jameslauffer

Re-discovering my Pioneer PL50

Thanks for sharing. It is a handsome turntable. Jim
  13. jameslauffer

Which pressing is this? Thanks, Jim
  14. jameslauffer

I just purchased this LP, but haven’t yet opened it. I ought to get to it!
  15. jameslauffer

New 1019 in the house

Great record! Jim
  16. jameslauffer

Marc Morin - Rest In Peace Our Friend

Thank you, Jose and Stuart, for the updates. The praying for Marc and his family (and for you two) continues. Jim
  17. jameslauffer

Thank you for the update, Jose. Jim
  18. jameslauffer

“That British Sound”: Talk of Nationalness in Global Capitalism

Peirce’s definition of metaphor (Note 2), taken from The Essential Peirce: Selected Philosophical Writings, leaves my head spinning like a 78 rpm record: “He defines metaphor as ‘those which represent the representative character of a representamen by representing a parallelism in something...
  19. jameslauffer

Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

Very nice. Thank you for sharing your work. Jim
  20. jameslauffer

Today's classical playlist

Shostakovich 1. Symphony No. 12 in F major, Op. 102 2. Piano Concerto No. 2 in A major, Op. 141 (Martin Roscoe, piano) 3. Suite from the Gadfly (Extracts) BBC Philharmonic Vassily Sinaisky, conductor BBC Music Magazine CD 2006
  21. jameslauffer

Beethoven Symphony No. 2 in D, Op. 36 Symphony No. 4 in B flat, Op. 60 BBC Philharmonic Gianandrea Noseda, director BBC Music Magazine CD 2004
  22. jameslauffer

Stravinsky 1. Song of the Nightingale 2. Symphony in C 3. Symphony in Three Movements BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra Ilan Volkov, conductor BBC Music Magazine CD Vol. 13, No. 3 2004
  23. jameslauffer

From an interview with Frank Zappa on Wikipedia: John Diliberto: How did you first find out about Edgar Varèse? That's a very simple story. I read an article in Look magazine in the early '50s which was a feature saying what a great guy Sam Goody was because he was such an exciting merchandiser...
  24. jameslauffer

Stuart, A sobering update, but I thank you for it. I will continue to keep Marc and his family — and you and Jose — in my prayers. Jim
  25. jameslauffer

Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64 Boston Symphony Orchestra Pierre Monteux, conductor RCA LM-2239 Mono LP “shaded dog” label 1958
Back
Top Bottom