Search results

1. mrwasabihead

VSP Labs Trans Mos Gold Series amp measurements

Greetings, I purchased a VSP Labs Gold Series Trans Mos amp a while back and luckily it's in pretty decent cosmetic and functional shape. I started looking for technical info on this unit, but like most, found little. At this point I'd like to mention a little about the designer of this amp -...
  2. mrwasabihead

A Quantum 3 Restoration Begun!

Greetings, AK'ers! I've had these Infinity Quantum 3 speakers staring at me from the shop wall for at least 8 years now, and being the "Damn the torpedos" kind of guy that I am, I've decided that their time has come. 95% of the repairs and restorations I've done never make it to the pages of AK...
  3. mrwasabihead

Aragon 8008 (ST) repair/servicing

History: I picked up this Aragon 8008 ("ST" version I believe) because it's original owner was having a problem with it. After getting it home I did an internal visual inspection and then checked for DC offset, which was approx. +15mV Rt...
  4. mrwasabihead

Aragon 8008(ST) ..and the dreaded 2SC2240BL!

I'm at it again, AKers, this time I picked up an original Aragon 8008(ST) the first iteration of the amp I believe. I got it for pennys on the dollar so I thought "why not?". The owner said that the left channel would kind of blink out every now and again and he was sick of it. I got it home and...
  5. mrwasabihead

Epicure Model 2 Crossover Inductor Question...

Greetings, this is my first post to the "speaker" forum and it's in regard to a pair of Epicure Model 2 speaker crossovers. I've recapped the two crossovers successfully and one speaker works perfectly and sounds great, the other.....not so much. I swapped out all 4 drivers with the other...
  6. mrwasabihead

Hello, and welcome to "NAME - THAT - TUBE AMP!"

Greetings, and welcome to "Name - That - Tube Amp!" The game show where YOU, the reader, gets to take a stab at identifying a tube amp that has no identifying markings what so ever! Sound like fun, ...of course it does! We will, of course, provide you with superficial and sometimes superfluous...
  7. mrwasabihead

Fisher 300B Assesment and Restoration

Greetings, I've recently come into possession of a pretty decent looking 300B that I'd like to return to a stable running condition. Usually when I post on AK for help and opinions I will have already started replacing parts and otherwise gotten busy, but not this time, this time I've decided to...
  8. mrwasabihead

A rather strange situation...H.H. Scott 222(A)

Greetings, I'm continuing the work someone else started on a friends Scott 222(A) which has been "working fine" but my friend complained of a "low hum" in the right channel and one side (L) seeming louder than the other. This, to me, looked like a good time to finish replacing coupling caps and...
  9. mrwasabihead

Nakamichi TA-3A Bias Question / Opinions

Greetings, I'm currently trying to save a Nak TA-3A receiver that was going into protection at start up. I'm familiar with the issues that heat can cause with this unit in regard to solder joints so those were addressed first. At first power up the PS relay engaged but the speaker relay...
  10. mrwasabihead

A quick Sansui TU9900 Power Supply question..

Greetings, I'm in the process of rebuilding my TU9900's power supply and one thing I'm questioning is the actual power rating of the power supply's R's 3 & 4, the "fusible" resistors. The resistors I've got installed do not look like 1W resistors, going by size alone. I have seen higher wattage...
  11. mrwasabihead

A Capacitor question: ...WTF?!

Greetings, until recently I've had this Kyocera Tuner sitting on the shelf because when I looked inside I amazed by the amount of glue these guys used on the top of the circuit board. The unit powered up but no audio. So I decided to clean it up, replace all the components that came into contact...
  12. mrwasabihead

Nikko Alpha II repair/rebuild - A little problem - Seeking opinions

Greetings AK'ers. A friend brought me his Nikko Alpha II amp who's right channel had previously been worked on by someone that I guess wasn't up to the challenge as the right channel had a pair of toasted outputs. The left channel was all original but working still! I decided it was time...
  13. mrwasabihead

Need help identifying scope pattern - Sansui 7 Sq. wave

Greetings, I got an old Sansui 7 and it was, of course, in need of basic cleaning and updating. It passed audio (FM/AM/Phono/Aux) but I noticed that regardless of the source there was a very light static/popping sound from both channels that becomes more evident when the "Loudness" button is...
  14. mrwasabihead

Hafler DH220 issue / in need of opinions

Greetings AK'ers, I recently picked up a Hafler DH220 from a friend because it "had a problem". Well, it does. Once home I put it on a DBT with a 100 W bulb installed, got the SM online, pulled out the meter and fired her up. The DBT shows just a wee bit of the bulb filament and the effective...
  15. mrwasabihead

HK570i Resuscitation issue (amost there but stuck)

Hello, I found an HK570i at a second hand store that obviously had an issue but for $5.00 US I thought I'd give it a shot. Got it home and plugged it into the DBT (dim bulb tester) and "bright light!". So I started checking things out. I found two of the four output transistors were shot and...
  16. mrwasabihead

Insight and assistance w/ another pissy SX-650 !

Greetings all, (Note: I've added some voltage omissions from the original post) I've been working on bringing a shelved SX-650 back to life and have had great results so far thanks to several threads here dealing with the power supply boards, protection circuit etc. Thankfully this unit hadn't...
  17. mrwasabihead

Audio Dynamics C-200 a.k.a DBX-CX3 odd situation.

Greetings all, I picked up an Audio Dynamics C-200 or if you like a DBX-CX3 control amp which is in pretty good condition functionally but I noticed that when set in 2 ch. stereo with no processing left side was a bit louder than the right. A Sign wave measured at half output: L: 557 mVAC - R...
  18. mrwasabihead

Integral Systems Amplifier: A Question re: output transistors

Greetings all, I've recently pulled an Integral Systems amp off of the shelf that's been there looking at me for years. It's embarrassing but the output transistors seem nowhere to be found! And I've really looked too! So I'm wondering if anyone out there has an IS like the one in the picture...
  19. mrwasabihead

6060 Bias Adjustment issue: Much replaced, 1 ch good, 1 ch almost there...!

Greetings AK'ers, I could use a little help here... I've been updating a 6060 for a friend and I've had this issue for a few days now. One channel bias is adjusted just fine at the requisite 15 mV, the other adjusts to ~12.4 and that's it. It just won't go any higher. Several times I thought I...
  20. mrwasabihead

Help please, with sources for BIG filter caps. (22000uF x 80 VDC) [NIKKO NR-1415]

Greetings, I recently acquired a vintage beastie in the shape of a NIKKO, NR-1415 receiver. It had several of the problems that old monsters commonly exhibit, which I took care of without too much trouble. But it seems that one of the aptly sized filter caps (22000uF - 80 VDC) has indeed shorted...
  21. mrwasabihead

Nikko Alpha 230 Idle Current Problem / S.M. Problem

What I've got: Hello fellow audio crazys! My name is Edward and I'm an electrical repair hobbyist currently working on a Nikko Alpha 230 that came to me with a set of blown Rt. channel output trannies on the "Power Trans PCB" (Lt.Ch. trans were fine) and other damage to the "Driver PCB". Before...
  22. mrwasabihead

Linn Axis Power supply.

Hello all, I have a Linn Axis TT and am unfortunately in need of a new power supply board. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on how I should go about acquiring one. The original was having problems and was worked on by a local "tech". Even that term is an exaggeration as the guy was a...
  23. mrwasabihead

S.A.E. A202 Heatsink part/function I.D. queston.

Hey folks; I'm hoping that there are some here that are technically adept and also have experience inside of vintage S.A.E. amps. In particular the A202. The issue I'm having is ascertaining the ID and and function of a quartet of wires that extend from the speaker terminal "board" to each of...
  24. mrwasabihead

Anyone either in or going to SCRANTON PA to (DETROIT AREA)?

Hello, my name is Mark and I'm Actually in Ann Arbor and I was wondering if there was anyone either in Scranton PA/ Going to Scranton PA and/or coming to the Detroit area. If so please call me 734.657.1316 There is something there that I'd love to have picked up. I'll make it worth it! -Mark>
Back
Top Bottom