Search results

1. S

Sony ST-J75

Warren, For your ST-J75 mods, did you consider upgrading IC201 and IC204 op amps? I would think that the LM4562 would be a worthwhile replacement. At one time I considered modifying my J75 (new caps in the signal path and op-amps as mentioned) but decided that my indoor antenna would not allow...
  2. S

Do you like the new format???

Thumbs down on the redesigned website. The pale blue, low contrast, and hazy formatting looks like it was designed by an effete amateur.. Furthermore, it makes reading the text difficult. The print size is way too small. Why the Audio by Van Alstine column? Judging by the few entries and lack...
  3. S

ADCOM GCD 575 No sound?

I should caution that there are several versions of the 0.33 and 2.2uf caps, differing in voltage ratings, size, and lead spacing. In order to be sure you get the ones that will fit in place of the original caps, I am listing the part numbers I used: 0.33uF Capacitor Epcos Part #...
  4. S

ADCOM GCD 575 No sound?

Yes, that's correct. In an earlier post I meant to say op amps, not transistors.
  5. S

ADCOM GCD 575 No sound?

I would recommend Epcos MKT film caps for the DAC. I have 2.2uf caps at the MSB pins (13 & 18) and 0.33uF caps at the other pins. I should clarify that the Os Con caps suggested are for decoupling the input voltages at the DAC.
  6. S

ADCOM GCD 575 No sound?

The sound quality of the GCD575 can be greatly improved by some modifications: 1. Replace the decoupling caps on the TDA1541A with larger value metallized film caps. 2. Add Sanyo Os-Con SVPG decoupling caps to the +5v, -5V, and -15v. 3. Replace the original output coupling...
  7. S

ADCOM GCD 575 No sound?

Difficult to offer much help with so little information. Was there sound previously, or did you just acquire the player? If you had sound before, what were the circumstances that led to the problem? The only suggestion I can offer at this point, based on your statement there is a very faint...
  8. S

cambridge audio cd players

Evan, I misled you in the information I gave. The CD4 uses the DAC that I posted. However the CD4-SE model uses two CS4327-KS DACs. Based on that I would assume your CD4-SE is a better player than the D500.
  9. S

cambridge audio cd players

The Cd4 uses a TDA1305 DAC. The D500 uses a CS437-KS DAC. Both are 1 bit DACs.
  10. S

Audio Magazine Article

Does anyone have a copy of Audio June, 1977? I read somewhere that this issue had a product review of the Scott R-376 Receiver. I would like to get a copy of the article (printer or scan) since I have two R-376 units. They are identified as different versions: BN and CN. If you can help...
  11. S

Re-capping with Nichicon Muse caps?

The best sounding coupling caps for me are the Nichicon Bipolar Muze which I recently put in my CD player, replacing the Elna Silimics I had put in earlier. I have the Muze Bipolars paralleled with Epcos metallized polypros that add crispness and detail to the midrange and higher.
  12. S

Grundig HF45U - stringing diagram?

Here is a website that has the information for stringing your Grundig. http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundig_console_ks620u_ks_620u.html#a The web page shows only a thumbnail diagram image. The website indicates that you have to become a member in order to have access to full views of the...
  13. S

Onkyo Tx-3000 Tuner Pointer Lamp Specs?

I have an Onkyo TX3000 that needs a dial pointer lamp replacement. I would like to find out what size of lamp it is. The lamp is referred to as a wheat lamp which is a generic name that indicates only the general size. Can anyone tell the specific size (in mm)?
  14. S

Jolida 100A Tube CD Player - Short Review

Of the various tubes that I have tried in my Jolida, my favorite by a large margin is RCA 6681's from the late 50's or early 60's--- firm, rich base, smooth and detailed mids and highs. Being a more ruggedly built version of the 12AX7 (originally for mobile communications), they will probably...
  15. S

What's British in your system?

My Fried RII speakers are powered by British drivers: Woofer- KEF SP1044 Model B139 Mid Range- KEF SP1003 Model B110 Tweeter- KEF SP1032 Model T27
  16. S

hafler 101 preamp?

I modified mine several years ago and have been very satisified with it. Larger (uF wise) caps and Hexfred diodes for the power supply. RIAA equilization changes to improve accuracy. Polypro caps in signal path in place of electrolytics. That's basically it, as well as I can remember.
  17. S

Better CD Players

No idea. I'd like to know more about it also. It's identified as WLP22D4C9TDA. Google search did not turn up any information.
  18. S

Better CD Players

Unlike other CD players that use the venerable TDA1541 DAC and feed the output directly to opamps for I/V conversion and frequency reconstruction from 176KHz, the GDC-575 DAC output goes directly to an Active Low Pass Filter IC. The (audio frequency) output from the IC is then fed to the op...
  19. S

Better CD Players

The op amps in the GDC-575 are coded "Adcom 6A". A cross reference search revealed they are actually LT1056CN8. The datasheet would indicate these have pretty good specifications for this audio application, even by today's standards. Although, there may be other op amps now with better specs...
  20. S

Better CD Players

. I recently acquired one of these CDPs, and am also very pleased with its musical capabilities. Is your unit stock, or have you changed/upgraded components? From the information I have found for this CDP, about the only changes that I would consider for possible imrovement would be to...
  21. S

ADC 16/2R CD Player

Single DAC: PMC54HP
  22. S

Scott R376 Receiver

Thanks, but it's a brochure, not a service manual.
  23. S

Scott R376 Receiver

Thanks for your response, but I think the advice is an example of circular reasoning. The idle current is what I want to set, if I knew what it should be. Setting the bias voltage to the specified value is the means for getting the correct idle current.
  24. S

Scott R376 Receiver

Can someone provide information for setting the amplifier bias voltage? I see the bias pots for both channels, but no markings for TP's (test points) as on some other makes. So I assume the bias voltage is taken across one of the nearby resistors. The bias voltage is usually in the low...
  25. S

Just received an e-mail from a fellow AKer, Zack, regarding a Kef B139 SP1044 woofer. I had...

Just received an e-mail from a fellow AKer, Zack, regarding a Kef B139 SP1044 woofer. I had told him earlier that I was also looking for a replacement for my Fried Model R II. He said that you might have one to sell, and recommended I contact you. Please advise if you do have a B139 SP1044...
Back
Top Bottom