Search results

1. macyjrm

Yet another searching for a tube tech thread

My excellent tube technician suffered a significant health event a couple of years ago and was forced into retirement. I now have two amps with red plating issues. I live in north central Mississippi and I’m willing to drive a significant distance to transport equipment. If you know of a...
  2. macyjrm

Just Curious (Subscriptions)

I got my annual $25 subscription notification this morning which I cheerfully renewed because I think it’s well worth it. Then I had a question come to mind. I wonder what percentage of AK members actually subscribe to enjoy Bartertown and the other benefits that a subscription provides. Anyone...
  3. macyjrm

Excellent transaction with Patrick_W

I recently purchased a stereo receiver cabinet from the above fellow AK member. The price was right. The packing was stellar. Communication along the way was superior and the item arrived without damage and exactly as described. I’m looking forward to the next time we can do business. Thanks...
  4. macyjrm

Dayton Audio Phono preamp

I just received a new Parts Express catalog in the mail. I spied a new phono preamp, model VP1, for a mere $27.00 among the many offerings. Has anyone here purchased one and what are your initial thoughts on its performance? Is this a viable option for folks who are budget limited?
  5. macyjrm

Thank you Angel17

Today I received a Vincent preamp from seller Angel17. The item condition is exactly as he described and due to his excellent packing it arrived with no apparent damage whatsoever. Overall a very satisfied customer here and I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from him in the future. Thanks again Angel.
  6. macyjrm

Strange Pairing with Excellent Synergy

So I have had this Carver HR895 AV receiver hanging around here unused for a long time. The main amplifier section doesn’t work but the preamp is excellent. On a whim, I recently paired it with my Magnavox 8802 console tube amp which I only use occasionally. I am so pleased with the results! I...
  7. macyjrm

Better than a fireplace

It’s 15 degrees right now here in north central Mississippi with about 1.5 inches of sleet on the ground. This is how I’m keeping warm. Sure hope the power stays on.
  8. macyjrm

Tascam 112 MKII Good News and Not so Good

Punching above my weight, I recently repaired this unit. The tape head assembly would not elevate to meet the cassette. Using AK posts and YouTube video archives I was able to determine the problem was the infamous plastic “C” gear in the transport mechanism. These gears are a well known...
  9. macyjrm

9900Z Tuner Neither AM nor FM works

I have owned a nice example of this receiver for several years. But the tuner has been completely dead ever since I got it. By dead I mean there are no stations heard all the way across the dial on both formats, just steady normal background hiss. I do have a decent antenna connected and should...
  10. macyjrm

Phono Dropout on my PAS 3

i have a lovely Pas 3 from the original owner’s estate which my tech updated several years ago with a new power supply and a full recap of the unit. Current situation is when I use the phono section I get occasional dropouts on the right channel which can be remedied by just a gentle tap...
  11. macyjrm

Thank you Rex Runner

Just received an untested vintage tube tuner in the mail from Rex. Item was very carefully packed and arrived here exactly as described and unharmed. After a complete inspection, cleanup, and tube installation it works just fine. I look forward to our next transaction.
  12. macyjrm

Need Help with Knight 2350A specifically mid horn

i picked up a pair of these is excellent physical condition at a local thrift several months ago. One works perfectly but the other has problems with the 1825 mid range horn (the driver on the right). The output is very weak, almost absent. It measures almost 60 ohms across the positive/negative...
  13. macyjrm

Who is our oldest active member?

There is a current thread in this forum entitled “too old for heavy audio gear”. I have been enjoying it because moving my gear is becoming much more challenging as each year passes. This set me to wondering who can stake the claim of being our AK oldest active member, active defined as someone...
  14. macyjrm

RS Steve can pack for Armageddon

I just received via UPS a 46 pound tube amplifier which arrived without a scratch or any other damage. This was due to Steve taking the time and care to pack this valuable item exactly as it should be done. I checked the UPS routing and this thing passed through three transfer stations before...
  15. macyjrm

Blade Runner 2049

I've been waiting on this one for months. Planned to go to the opening today but circumstances prevent that and I may not be able to see it for a week or so. Would appreciate any AK folks who see it to post their hype free review here. TIA.
  16. macyjrm

Drive-In movie amplifiers

Much of my misspent youth involved taking young ladies to one of the two drive in theaters we had in my modest home town. Mind you this was back in the early 1960's. I was recently reminiscing with an old friend about those fine old days when a question occurred to me. What was driving the...
  17. macyjrm

Thank you to all Pioneer X50 Power Switch Gurus

My cute little SX450 has been on a shelf for over a year while I postponed diving in to fix the common power switch problems with this series. Mine was buzzing and exhibiting dimmed dial lighting upon startup. Thanks to the multiple posts from a host of generous AK members, I fixed it yesterday...
  18. macyjrm

Pretty sure I'm the only kid on my block to have these.

Close friend of mine gave these to me from his dad's estate years ago. They went into my storage and were forgotten until I found them a few days ago. They are apparently US Navy intercom type speakers each containing an isolation transformer. The drivers measure 6.5 in from edge to edge and...
  19. macyjrm

Cool/meaningful/brilliant lyrics

I've been enjoying the current postings on "sad songs" elsewhere in this forum. I'm curious about what your favorite lines are within songs. For example, I get a chuckle each time I hear Elton John sing "Mongrels who ain't got a penny, sniffing for tidbits like you on the ground" from "...
  20. macyjrm

What have we here? Son in law find/JBL

He was helping clean out his Aunt's home last week end and came across these speaks which have a sliding wood modesty screen across the front. They hopefully are JBL loaded since the crossover appears to be JBL. They were the speakers that accompanied an early solid state Fisher console with...
  21. macyjrm

Another sincere thank you to the gurus here

My Pioneer PD-M550 CD player went wonky a few days ago and then quit altogether. When I moved it to my workspace I could hear something rattling inside. Yep, another detached Pioneer laser lens. Based on numerous historical threads explaining how to properly glue it back in, I was able to...
  22. macyjrm

There is a new Radio Shack

Just learned from CNBC that Radio Shack will soon close another 1100 "under performing" stores and the RS stock is down another 20% this morning. Last night I enjoyed reading the new sale flyer I got in the mail from Parts Express. The flyer is loaded with amps, speakers, wire, accessories...
  23. macyjrm

My tip for the day

I attended the annual "Hamfest" meet in Jackson, MS last Saturday. I have no interest in ham radio but realize those guys and guitar players are the reason we still have some tubes being manufactured in this world today. I recommend audio lovers look out for the next Hamfest being held in your...
  24. macyjrm

Need some T3 help (Texas Tube Technician)

Was visiting my daughter last week who lives south of Austin. Met her neighbor who has a beautiful Magnavox stereo console in somewhat working order (bad hum). It has a blond finish and includes a large satellite speaker cabinet. Both cabinets are practically flawless. The neighbor and I...
  25. macyjrm

Big Bill Delivers again!

Recently bought a Sansui TU-717 to mate up with my lonely AU-717. Big Bill promised an exceptional unit and quality packing. He delivered "big" on both counts. Consider me very pleased and looking forward to the next transaction. Thanks Bill.
Back
Top Bottom