Search results

1. brad1138

AudioGon FB adds

This showed up on my FB feed a couple days ago, it is a picture of my system I shared on their site a few years ago. Does anyone know if their ad was personalized just for me or are they using my image for all to see? I forgot to "like" it and now I can't find the ad again...
  2. brad1138

Best TT for under $2,500?

I currently have a 20 year old original ClearAudio Emotion TT with Origin Live Silver tone arm and Hana SL cart, I still have the original tonearm as well. I also have a Beatles edition Project Debut Carbon Esprit SB. I was thinking of selling all that and using the money to get a new TT, maybe...
  3. brad1138

Accidentally running tube amp w/o speaker hooked up...

I have a custom built SET 2a3 amp, with Bottlehead transformers and other niceties. A little while back I turned it on to warm up, as I usually do. An hour or so later I started a CD and turned up the volume, (I only listen at about 70 dB, and my speakers are 95 dB efficient, so it wasn't "up"...
  4. brad1138

CD sounding better than FLAC in my system.

I run an RME ADI-2 DAC fs, it's 2 sources are a laptop for FLAC files and a 6 disc Onkyo DVD player as CD transport (via Coax). I don't use the latter much. I was comparing the 2 and I think the transport sound better, more defined and more space between instruments. It really shouldn't...
  5. brad1138

NOS RCA 2a3s internal differences

One a friends recommendation, I bought a pair of these. I only have about 5 hours on them but they sound great, which is all that really matters I guess, but little inconsistencies like this bug me. They are not the same internally, one of them has 1 rectangular metal "box" at the bass, the...
  6. brad1138

Question about Mirage speakers from 90s / early 2000s

What was the line that came after the M-si line? I am looking for a 3rd MCsi center to complete a set for LCR, but as I remember, the next generation center after the MCsi was basically the same center in a slightly different cabinet. But I can't remember the model number.
  7. brad1138

Finally taking the plunge into tube amps (SET), but a couple questions from a noob

I am having someone build me a 2a3 amp. I listened to his in my system and I really like it. There are "other tubes"* aside from the 2a3 tubes in the amp, in this build's case 12AT7s. (*I don't know what to call them) What difference does the choice of tube model make, I know it doesn't have...
  8. brad1138

Different tube measurment scales

Some times the T1 & T2 are measured in the 1000s and some times in the 10s. For example one seller listed my CV4024s as 85/85 the other 6500/7000. Do they mean 85 (hundred)? If not, is there a conversion? (I tried googling it, but all I get are picture of scales... :D )
  9. brad1138

Preamp has intermitant crackling w/multiple tubes.

My QuickSilver Line Stage preamp works fine with the stock JJ tubes, but when I tried a pair of Mullard CV4024s I got crackling in one channel that followed the tube if I switched sides, then the other tube a few days later. I ordered a 2nd pair from a different vendor, they crackled a bit...
  10. brad1138

"Mullardtubes.com"

I found this site I had never seen before, not sure it is legit. Has anyone ever ordered tubes from them? http://www.mullardtubes.com/ Thanks
  11. brad1138

TT Mat on acrylic platter for VTA

If I was to add a mat to my acrylic platter for nothing more than help with VTA, would adding an acrylic mat be detrimental in any way? Would that be the best mat? I am not looking for improvement outside of VTA help.
  12. brad1138

TT dilemma...

I have 2 TTs in my main system, a Clearaudio Emotion with Hana SL -> Moon 310LP/320S and a Project Debut Carbon Esprit SB with 2M Red -> Schiit Mani w/Swagman Labs PS. The problem is, I like the Project better... The Project is outclassed in every way, but I find it more enjoyable. Tighter...
  13. brad1138

old line conditioners... Issues?

I use 2 Adcom ACE 515 (from the 80's) in my stereo rack. I know their ability to handle surges is likely shot, but they work well for controlling all my equipment power. They are plugged into a 20 amp rack mount Furman Surge/line conditioner to handle surges. But could the old components in...
  14. brad1138

A/B-ing amps

I have heard it is not good to run amps without source and/or speakers hooked up. When comparing 2 amps, what is the best way to keep the other one warm/energized w/o harming it? For the sake of the question, I believe it takes amps a bit to warm up to sound their best. Maybe 10 or so minutes...
  15. brad1138

Moving to MC, cart/tonearm matching question

I have been reading up on matching. I have found the charts and formulas, and they make sense. But, with this cart https://www.lpgear.com/product/BENZMCGOLD.html the "charts" say best match with low-med mass tonearm, but the web page says medium-high mass tonearm... What am I missing?
  16. brad1138

Tube preamp odd issue...

I have tried a couple different amps, and this happens with both(when I turn the amp on, and preamp has been on for a while). It does not happen with SS or passive preamps. The question is it common with tube preamps, or an issue with my Quicksilver Audio Preamp. Easiest to watch video, it...
  17. brad1138

Bass traps, done inexpensively. Made a big difference in my system.

I installed floor to ceiling bass traps in one of my listening rooms. It made a very noticeable difference, with more than just bass. It will now be the 1st thing I do in listening rooms, if I ever move. :) This system includes Schiit Freya Pre, Proceed BPA2 amp and Tekton Lore-S speakers...
  18. brad1138

New Cart/stylus recommendations for Hitachi PS-58

I am looking for a new cartridge/stylus for my Hitachi TT. I have the Ortofon 2M blue on my Project, and I like it a lot, but I am looking for something a bit less "clinical" clinical for the Hitachi. Price limit is about $300. It has a Shure m75ed type 2 currently, which is fairly good (in the...
  19. brad1138

Schiit Vidar vs Optoma NuForce STA200 vs (used/like new) Vincent SP-331

I am selling my Mark Levinson 331 :( I am looking for an amp to replace it with, and have found these 3 in the price range I am looking at, all under $700. I Have a Schiit Freya preamp, and Tekton Lore-S speakers. Any thoughts on which is the "better" amp. The speakers are very efficient...
  20. brad1138

Official Sjofn HiFi "The Clue" Owners Thread

These fantastic, highly reviewed, little bookshelf speakers have nothing but a few very sporadic posts about them in various different online forums. I though I'd create an "official" place for owners/users to chat about them (since no one else has). And throw in my personal review. The Clue's...
  21. brad1138

Schiit Modi MB vs... ?

Is the Mimby still king of the hill under $300? I am building a 3rd system and need a DAC in that price range. I already have a Modi2 and Mimby, which I really like, but thought I might try something different, if there is anything comparable in that range.
  22. brad1138

Fantastic Bryston find!

I just came home with a pair of Bryston 7B ST Monoblocks! Mint condition, still under wtty, consecutive serial numbers, with upgraded "Element cable" Power Cables and amp stands! (The upgraded power cables came with them, let's not get into a debate on those... ;) ) Also, original boxes! I...
  23. brad1138

Vincent SP-331 vs HK Citation 5.1

Not sure if this belongs in "tube audio" area or not, but Vincent is a hybrid tube/SS. I currently have a Citation 5.1 amp that drives my Main system mains, which works great for me, but I have a line on a Vincent SP-331 for a good price. I think(am guessing) new, both units would probably be...
  24. brad1138

Official "cheap" Chinese Tube Audio forum Douk Nobsound FX-Audio

I have found very little info on these Chinese Tube products, and no designated forum for them, so I thought I would change that. Share your experience with them, good, bad or indifferent. My first experience was a failed volume potentiometer in a "Douk Audio Mini 6J1 Tube Preamp". But I have...
  25. brad1138

Preamps that use GE JAN 5654w tubes?

Are there any "non cheap Chinese" preamps that use that tube?
Back
Top Bottom