Search results

1. wa2ise

Stromberg Carlson monoblock

Looks like the AF-601MS, that one has a PIC module like mine has. Thanks. Sam's 469-20
  2. wa2ise

Stromberg Carlson monoblock

Rescued this from the local ham radio club. A 6V6 P-P audio amp. And a 12AX7 and a 6AV6. Stromberg Carlson (at least most of the tubes were branded that). Probably came out of a record player console. With bass, treble and volume controls. Changed the 6X5 rectifier to a 6AX5, and replaced...
  3. wa2ise

Akai speakers claim 10 "music" watts...

Got a pair of these Akai speakers. Rated for 10 music watts, whatever that is. Anyone know what the real rating is, in RMS watts? They seem to play fine at low power (I don't usually blast my music).
  4. wa2ise

Using a LCR meter to measure output transformer impedance

Unless I'm being fooled... A method of testing output transformer impedance. Assuming you have a LCR meter. Set it to resistance, and put its clip leads across the primary. Have the speaker on the transformer secondary. You should see a resistance reading indicative of the impedance the output...
  5. wa2ise

my Magnavox 8601 amp in an old HP cabinet

This cabinet used to be an HP counter from the late 1960's. It didn't work, missing parts, so I gutted it, and placed my Magnavox 8601 stereo amp inside it. And you can see glorious tubes thru the orange window (where there used to be nixie tube displays). Used a small TS49 pilot light inside...
  6. wa2ise

Sad, I've messed up one transformer, I need your opinions...

It doesn't look like any wires got touched. See if the continuity is still good, and measures like the other transformer. If good, you could glue some black cardboard or such non-conductive material to cover the windings on both transformers.
  7. wa2ise

FM MPX Stereo demodulator using TV tubes and chips

I don't have a real way to measure how much separation. It does seem "pretty good" with my ears...
  8. wa2ise

FM MPX Stereo demodulator using TV tubes and chips

This is a FM MPX stereo decoder that uses a stereo chip to acquire the 38KHz switching waveform, and applies that to a "TV" tube that switches on and off the composite audio (which carries both the mono and the L-R difference signals) to produce left and right audio outputs. Idea is to use the...
  9. wa2ise

Pictures of Cats on Audio Gear

found this off facebook. vintage audio...
  10. wa2ise

A Diode in a Fuse Holder??

How about using it to hold an actual fuse? You just have to figure out what current rating to use to protect the set. You'd need to remove the restriction that was used to make sure you got the diode in the correct way, though...
  11. wa2ise

HOLY SHIT I SCORED I THINK?

If you didn't want to change out the output transformers, you could build an inverting audio stage, using a triode, after the plate circuit one of the input triodes ahead of the tone circuits. Probably use a 6C4, and the plate resistor and cathode resistor the same value, use the same value...
  12. wa2ise

How to wire a pot?

When I was a kid, I couldn't understand why you turn a pot counterclockwise to reduce the volume of sound, but you have to turn a faucet clockwise to reduce the volume of water.... :idea: :dunno:
  13. wa2ise

Ham radio, which has some audio in it. :) Picture found off the 'net. Not mine....
  14. wa2ise

Vacuum tube DAC circuit using old Tektronix terminal strips

No, the ceramic terminal strips don't impact the sound, but sure look pretty. :) The circuit: The transformers' specs: The transformers, as they state that they do 20Hz to 20KHz, should attenuate supersonic sampling clock noise. And this newly modified CD player sounds quite good.
  15. wa2ise

Had to relocate some of my vacuum tube web pages

Seems Earthlink quit hosting my "free" web pages. So I had to use the Wayback Machine (I shoulda backed thing up...) to retrieve the lost web files, and once I did that, I moved it all to my own domain www.wa2ise.com Moat of what I had at Earthlink (netcom) is now at...
  16. wa2ise

7199 - 6u8a

If you rebuild the audio amp boards (like in the SCA35) with a metal sheet as a chassis, you could use separate triodes and pentodes in place of the 7199, like a 12AU7 and a pair of pentodes like 6DK6s.
  17. wa2ise

Crazy Question about JAN - CHY 3D21A tubes

Looks like, in triode mode, you could bias the control grid at -15VDC, and drive that grid with audio 20V peak to peak, and plate voltage at 350VDC. Quiescent supply current about 150ma.
  18. wa2ise

How about a cat listening to a transistor radio? Some audio here.
  19. wa2ise

Volume control using pentagrid converter

I did this, see my web page http://pw2.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/6be6vol.html Grid 3 on these tubes are "remote cutoff", but G1 looks to be "sharp cutoff" and sharp cutoff is better for audio work.
  20. wa2ise

SCA-35

You do need the cage on the amp to keep hum out. I did some mods on mine, like getting DC for the phono preamp tube heaters http://pw2.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/sca35.html
  21. wa2ise

low power loss DC heater supply circuit

Here is the full wave version. As long as the AC source is free floating, you can ground one side of the output. If one side of the AC source is grounded, the DC output would appear to hop up and down at 60Hz rate, which would ruin the point of using DC on a heater.
  22. wa2ise

low power loss DC heater supply circuit

This is a circuit for creating DC for heaters. Main feature is that this circuit produces very little waste heat. It uses a MOSFET (sort found in PC switching power supplies, a zener diode (to set the voltage for the output, and a LM393 comparitor chip. The comparitor chip determines when...
  23. wa2ise

Another found on the 'net
  24. wa2ise

Another off the 'net. Though it's ham radio, it does have audio in it.
  25. wa2ise

tube amp design guys, why no love for 6aq5?

I usually don't bypass the SE output tube's cathode. Unbypassed cathodes will provide some negative feedback immediately (within microseconds) to the output stage. At the cost of less stage gain.
Back
Top Bottom