Search results

1. S

Akai AP-D210 info request

If the grease around the metal parts has gone black, then clean it out and aply some fresh one.
  2. S

Ripping CDs for DAC - AAC or WAV?

I can add tags etc to WAV with the latest version of Tag&Rename.
  3. S

mitsubishi da-a7dc amp

The remote plug slots into the VU meter section of the amp. I can't remember what the model number of the meter section is, but I can look it up if I climb down the stairs to go and look at mine.. It's possible to select A or B without the meter section. I'll have to look at my service manual...
  4. S

BIG Volume Knobs

My Aiwa AA8700 has a really massive volume control. It's also one of the nicest design I have ever seen.
  5. S

mitsubishi da-a7dc amp

You can but I have found that the amp gets hotter and far quicker, plus the sound doesn't sound quite as good compared to when you just play one pair.
  6. S

Optonica RP-7100 Turntable - Ditch or Buy?

:scratch2: Ask her for first refusal if she ever decides to sell:D. The pre/power amp combo is a rare beast. Your friend is a lucky guy. I have seen far more Sony Esprit amps than the Optonica combo.
  7. S

Optonica RP-7100 Turntable - Ditch or Buy?

A pitty it didn't have the Optonica amp as well. I used to work for a HIFI retail company in the 80's and I rated the build and sound quality of the Optonica quite highly. Never understood why Sharp didn't hang on to that range. They never made anything again that was even half as good as Optonica.
  8. S

Entry level DAC advice

Both the DacMagic and the V-DAC have as much as a following as the TC-7520. But headphone listeners have to add in the extra cost of a headamp. Edit: I managed to contact the guy who claimed to have got a Caiman shipped for U$300. Turns out he bought it as a tax free export, sent to Singapore...
  9. S

Entry level DAC advice

I got a Beresford TC-7520 and it has brought even my mp3 files back to life. But I heard he brought out a limited run of a souped up TC-7520 that is called the Beresford Caiman. I got the info from the UK What HIFI magazine forum, which promises to be doing a review on it. The early buyers all...
  10. S

Philips CD350? Yes!

The silver version is a rarety. Most were made in black. The CD350 has a 'favourite tracks memorizer', which means that it memorizes the tracks on a CD that you frequently play. Philips were forced to remove it on later machines, but I loved it.
  11. S

What was the worst piece of audio gear ever made??

For us in the UK, I would say anything Amstrad.
  12. S

Cambridge Audio DacMagic Owners Thread

I was told it is made in China.
  13. S

Cambridge Audio DacMagic Owners Thread

I am a bit confused why the DacMagic is nearly twice the price of the Beresford TC-7520 around the world, but only £50 different in price in the UK.
  14. S

What CD player for use with a good DAC?

I did some tests on this and came to a few conclusions. Note that they are pure conjectures on my part. I have no scientific facts to back me up on this and get me nominated for a Nobel price. But I mention them just in case anyone else might have come to the same or similar conclusion. So here...
  15. S

A good cheap DAC?

The new Beresford TC-7520 is making a lot of new friends. I got one two weeks ago in order to see how it compares to my TC-7510 MK6. The TC-7520 must be the bargain of the year so far. The headamp alone can match my Graham Slee Solo. The DAC is the quietest I have ever owned. The USB worked...
  16. S

Pioneer PD-71 owners respond

It's quite true that many older CD players won't read CD-R. You can sometimes get around this by using audio specific CD-Rs and burn at a speed of 1X. But this is an expensive and time consuming exercise.
  17. S

Technics SL-P555 jam door n laser problem

Say What!? I am still in stitches about the Mate Match game on the FOX FM morning show in Sydney of not so long ago. But I digress...
  18. S

Reference CD Suggestions?

I only need to play 'Hotel California' and I know if I am on to a winner. A separate test CD from Philips is used to check out the quality of the laser. If the laser skips on any of the critical laser obstacle tracks, I move on.
  19. S

Technics SL-P555 jam door n laser problem

The drawer issue can be fixed. Do a search on AK for CD drawer belt. The Technics laser is a bit ( read LOT) more complicated. On some Technics players the setting up procedure of the laser after replacement is a nightmare.
  20. S

Is the Sony kss281a laser really totally unavailable?

Donberg is owned by a good German female friend of mine from the past. It is worth emailing Veronika and asking about hard to find CD laser units. Her warehouse is like a goldmine of hard to find spares. And what she hasn't got she can often track down.
  21. S

Philips Cd303 any good?Collectable?

One of the most robust CD players I ever had to work on, and also one of the most difficult. If the tray is not opening then the loading belt has given up the ghost. Tricky to replace and you'll need a size 8 or 9 torx screwdriver. I would risk U$200 tops, but if you get the drawer fixed, you...
  22. S

Clock Speed vs. DAC Speed????

The incoming data speed and the DAC processing speed are two different things. An oversampling DAC uses a different (read HIGHER) processing speed to decode the digital signal. So an 8x OS DAC would process a 96KHz signal at 8 x 96KHz. There are CD players etc that mention on their front...
  23. S

This Bites!

The only time I bought a pair of speakers via that site I did a 3 hour round trip to pick them up. Bad luck on your part after such a good score.
  24. S

What is your "odd component out"?

Two tuners and a graphic equalizer.
  25. S

good bye old friends

Wishing the missus and you a pleasant Christmas after all the turmoil of the past few months. It is nice of your friend to have stepped in and buy the equipment off you in order to tie you over. I had a similar experience not so long ago with a friend of mine whose wife decided to divorce him...
Back
Top Bottom