Search results

1. LPMike

Score At Goodwill

Whoa! Nice catch! As has been stated, it seems those scores rarely surface in Goodwill anymore. While I've had better luck scouring the shelves of trash at Salvation Army (it's worth it, I have brought home some unreal finds!) I have also scored some beautiful TT's at GW. Not more than 1...
  2. LPMike

Anybody have any Signed LP's

I have a number of signed LP's... (starting with a "not LP".. a signed audio cassette of Buck Owens "Hot Dog" comeback release.... he signed the cassette case insert... not something you find often!) LPs: - Van Cliburn early LSC pressing, signed with an inscription, - Ahmad Jamal & full...
  3. LPMike

99 cent LP signature trove! Ahmad Jamal Quartet + (?)

Scored this double lp for 99 cents with all the signatures on the cover! From what I see the following have signed: (I've indicated instrument) AHMAD JAMAL (Piano) JAMES CAMMACK (Bass) HERLIN RILEY (Drums) SELDEN NEWTON (Percussion) That is the 1985 lineup. Also on the cover are...
  4. LPMike

Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

I use a thin style credit card (actually, an old plastic "membership card") and I leave the glue on the card when done. When the glue on the card (titebond II) is dry I peel it off and use a section as a pull tab for the next gluing side. (Set the small tab onto the freshly applied wet glue at...
  5. LPMike

Another Find. (When it rains it pours)

99 cents. Flatt & Scruggs at Carnegie Hall. Columbia MONO CL2045 2F & 2D stampers Condition VG I was gonna pass this one up, Someone wrote their name on it. Looked a little closer. Turns out Lester did. Nice. Looked closer, right below him, Earl did too... Looked even closer still, very...
  6. LPMike

S.C.O.R.E. Found it!

Thanks for all the congrats everyone. The lovely wife has been great when we go to the thrifts... she has come to release I have honed the skill of thumbing through thousands of LP's in short order and filtering out potentials and making my final choices (sometimes 2, sometimes 10) to bring home...
  7. LPMike

S.C.O.R.E. Found it!

And not to rub it in... but guess what guys.... my stack of 90 cent LPs also included ole Jone's #2 LP, also on Starday (LP102)... 'Hillbilly Hit Parade' Again, heres the popsike link to that LP, since im too lazy to take a picture... but the LP is the same one. It surely isn't as valuable...
  8. LPMike

S.C.O.R.E. Found it!

Been looking for this one for a while... .90 cents at the thrift store. Yes! (picture is from the link, which is to latest selling price on eBay... I'll be keeping my copy though) http://www.popsike.com/George-Jones-LP-Debut-First-Album-Starday-Lbl-ORIG-RARE/221151688762.html
  9. LPMike

Stanton 681 non-EEE?

Wow indeed! Thanks to all for the great info and discussion! The cart came on a DUAL TK120 insert, and included black plastic spacer that slides over the two cart mounting ears. It adds about 1.5 mm to the cart under the headshell... not sure if this spacer is DUAL specific or if it can be used...
  10. LPMike

Stanton 681 non-EEE?

I was just given a Stanton 681 Cart. with what I assume to be a Stanton Stylus. The Cart has a small sticker unde rthe stylus saying "681" and a sticker on the top of the cart saying "Stanton"... there is no "EEE" or reference standard" anywhere on the cart. The Cart. has its engraved control...
  11. LPMike

Yard Sale $5: Sansui 500A (seriously)

Externally it is immaculate, with exception of some slight wearing away of the "volume" label text. Internally very very clean except the powerstage deck area which is covered in oil and dust. bottom of deck with wires, caps and resistors is very clean. Tubes are mostly ok (visually) but (3)...
  12. LPMike

Thanks for the advice. I do not wish to become the Human Resistor prototype any time soon! Anyone have an opinion on replacing the old ELNA OIL caps with new equiv. OIL caps? I read there are those who feel the oil caps are better in audio applications... But since these are in the power...
  13. LPMike

[please delete this empty post]
  14. LPMike

found this editorial piece regarding the 500 & 500A but im not sure the writer is correct.... "Sansui 500 Valve Receiver (1964?) This earlier Sansui 500 (no 'A') is one of the plain box looking receivers with a brown metal lid & appears to have a valve phono, but has none of the classy...
  15. LPMike

Now this is getting frustrating. I've found the Service Manual which has schematics and the schematics by themselves both here on AK but the schematics are different. Seems the Service manual is for the Sansui 500.... I guess it is not the same as the 500A. Who knew? (the picture looks...
  16. LPMike

Well, it's been a while but I'm slowly working up the motivation to start in on the 500A. It's been sitting in a corner for weeks When working through the power stage, (no power) any precautions with the caps? I've heard about discharging them but I'd hate to discharge one on myself. Power...
  17. LPMike

Voice of Music Console Model 958

Nice console! Only warning I can give is to watch out for the auto return / auto cue gears. If they are anything like the consoles Ive worked on they can "engage" easily if you are troubleshooting the TT mechanism with power... I've had a few scares when the gear engaged suddenly while my...
  18. LPMike

It's Dorati Day: Too good to NOT share.

I already have (2) additional 1812's, a mono and another of this same stereo version, so this makes a third copy. (avg about $25-$40 on ebay lately) But it's the two other LPs that seem to be commanding way higher prices lately. Havnt listened to them yet and while I will be most likely be...
  19. LPMike

It's Dorati Day: Too good to NOT share.

Spent $2.68 total for all three of these gems. NM or better. The '1812' looks brand new (literally). Yes, sometimes we do strike gold. What to do? SR90054 SR2-9013 SR90371 Looks to be about $350 worth of Living Presence classics.
  20. LPMike

Bad sounding records that bum u out...

Original RCA 1969 Elvis Presley 'From Elvis in Memphis' The Production and arrangements were amazingly well done (thanks to Chips Moman), but the final mix-down was horrendous... or was it hideous? It was hideously Horrendous. The Stereo mix was a neanderthal approach: Left>Vocals & a few...
  21. LPMike

Janis Joplin - Pearl Columbia 2-Eye label

Very nice find! But I see it's a Canada pressing. Any differences on the covers?
  22. LPMike

INSANE Score: Carry case full of 45's... NOT JUNK!

It's a great thing when $4.50 opens your eyes to a whole new genre. Ive been a music fanatic for 30 years (almost every genre imaginable) but I had never ventured into Northern Soul. What a great discovery these 45's have been! So many great artists!
  23. LPMike

Janis Joplin - Pearl Columbia 2-Eye label

I've had a few copies of Pearl and still have one (great LP) and they were all the latter Columbia label as is common for the 1970's; never seen Pearl on a 2-eye. As far as I know there were no US pressed Pearl discs on the 2-eye label.
  24. LPMike

INSANE Score: Carry case full of 45's... NOT JUNK!

www.popsike.com if you don't know about popsike you're missing out!
  25. LPMike

Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

Titebond II is the glue to use. I do not recommend Titebond III as it has some wood-type particulate matter formulated into it for added strength and is designed for outdoor use in more extreme environments. It also costs more and we wont benefit from all that extra stuff they put in it. When I...
Back
Top Bottom