Search results

1. Analogdino

Minimus 7 Speakers

Sorry to be so late to the party, but I've recently been experimenting with a couple of my Minimus 7's. Reason: I did not like the idea of the "baby woofer" being driven full range and only the tweeter being properly crossed over. Here's a post I made to the ARF board recently...
  2. Analogdino

Minimus 7 Speakers

" Two places of decimals on the rating! Wow! But I agree with your comments. Cheers, Roger
  3. Analogdino

Sansui T-60

Had a T-60 for years... considered it very good, one of my best tuners. Recent problem: FM still fine but AM has failed completely! It started with a "burbling" sound on AM (only), with displays OK. Then AM just stopped working... no displays of any kind. Will look into it when I get the...
  4. Analogdino

Recapping AR-3a and AR-2x, What capacitors to use?

Right about tweeters... I do not agree with you re. "cap break in".... what do you think is happening? The new film caps are totally passive. "Subjective and subtle" means it's just not happening! Cheers, Roger
  5. Analogdino

Will it work?

One should try out all good ideas! But when mixing systems in stereo watch the speaker phasing... not rocket science, but needs careful attention as some amplifiers and preamps invert the signal. However, IMHO, multiple systems do not improve the listening experience over one pair of good...
  6. Analogdino

How does a tube amp work?

A few sources... Crowhurst books (all good) RDH4 (Radiotron Designers Handbook)... very long, 1,498 pages. Morgan Jones "Valve Amplifiers"... ( "Indeed to goodness!") Marcus & Levy "Elements of Radio Servicing" (Not Hi-Fi) GEC, England "Audio Frequency Amplifiers" (Good designs) Mullard, UK...
  7. Analogdino

1946 Magnavox Console AM Tube Radio

In brief... I generally align the IF's by injecting an unmodulated 455 KHz (or whatever for that radio) signal into the antenna... enough breaks through to the converter stage (tune radio to 550 KHz to help it a bit!) to allow at least some AVC voltage to appear... read this with a HIGH...
  8. Analogdino

Vintage GEC pre-amp

TIme goes by... pre-amp has been repurposed yet again! Still looking for the schematic... likely will have to do some "forensics" and derive it myself! Ah, well, one needs a "COVID project" while at home! Stay well... Cheers Roger
  9. Analogdino

How do you solder can caps?

Art said "If you are using the older Weller gun that uses nuts to tighten the tips, loosen and re-tighten them a few times. They get oxidized after a while, and this increases the resistance and lowers the amount of heat available." I concur completely (I'm presuming the "copper loop" type.) I...
  10. Analogdino

Heathkit WA-P2 preamp assembly instructions

In the event you want to use the WA-P2 with a different power amplifier, lift the hum-pot wiper from ground and reconnect via 10 Kohm bypassed by a 50 uF (min. 50 VDC) cap. Reason: some power amplifiers ground one side of the heater or the 6.3 VAC centre tap at the PT. Some power amplifiers...
  11. Analogdino

Good tube literature

There's a wealth of information in the RCA tube manuals. Also, I still use a refurbished Heathkit TC-2 tube tester (emission only.) Cheers, Roger
  12. Analogdino

Amps that are fun vs “good”

I while back, having acquired a small, amplifier-only chassis from a scrapped console radiogram (with PT and two OPTs in place), I built "Steam Punk 3+3". It has two SE EL84s, 5V4 rectifier and a single 12AX7, 1/2 per channel, for voltage gain... so not much NFB. It barely make 3 wpc, but...
  13. Analogdino

Integrated amplifier to monobloc... and back!

For fun, variety, or just whimsy, I often rotate my several refurbished monophonic tube amplifiers in and out of my main stereo system. Most are monoblocs (no integral pre-amp), but not all. They range from about 10 watts to 25 watts output. To do this a few of things must be considered... --...
  14. Analogdino

Went to the dump... saved a Hammond S6 Chord organ

An amazing restoration! Organs are not my field, but very well done! Cheers, Roger
  15. Analogdino

Scored a Viking console from GW

Just found this Viking thread... I picked up a 1960 Viking model RCS 452 a few weeks ago. Service manual is easy to find. I scrapped the cabinet, kept chassis, speakers and BSR changer turntable (latter to be disposed of.) Glass intact. I refurbished the whole chassis, incl. tuner, to factory...
  16. Analogdino

Vintage GEC pre-amp

Hi, All, I'm still looking for a schematic after all this time! I conclude that, in its original form, this GEC unit cannot use a stereo MM cartridge, even when paralleled and terminated with 25Kohms (for about 47Kohms per winding)... it's low gain and too noisy. I have concluded that it is...
  17. Analogdino

Old Heathkit model A-9C 20 watt amplifier

Surprise, surprise... I'm about to sell the A9C on-line (have too many tube amps!), so decided to search for it to remind myself of the specs... and found my original post of a dozen years ago! Someone asked what happened... basically this: --- I refurbished all the usual parts, wax caps...
  18. Analogdino

Pioneer Dates of Manufacture

I have a vintage tube Pioneer AM/FM receiver, model SM-B200 (but it has a transistorized mic and phono pre-amp.) However, I can't find a serial number on it anywhere. It has dual receivers... one is AM/SW and the other AM/FM (FM 80 (not 88) to 108 MHz), also a centre channel speaker option...
  19. Analogdino

Pioneer SM-B200 Stereo Tube Receiver

Several years ago I found two of these receivers (a year or so apart)... one was in fair condition in original wooden case and the other was a basket case, no case or cover, few tubes left in it (no ECL82's or 5R4, of course), one smashed tuning drive, broken pointer, etc. I refurbished both and...
  20. Analogdino

Yamaha M-Series Power Amps

Exactly what I have (M4 plus C6) as my solid state system... but with PSB speakers. Excellent. Cheers, Roger
  21. Analogdino

B&O Speakers, model Beovox 3000 4 ohm type 6220

End of story... I have just sold the fully-functioning Beomax 3000 and the two Beovox 6220 speakers to a "Nordic-looking gentleman" who is delighted to find such a system. Cheers, Roger
  22. Analogdino

Another pic on this thread for a different B&O speaker shows a piece of the same soft wool filling as I have! So, it may be factory original. I'll leave it in. However, I have removed the plastic bags over the yellow fibreglass fill. Cheers, Roger
  23. Analogdino

Anyone else using drivers without enclosures?

An open frame woofer not in a box or large baffle is not air-loaded at low frequencies, so cone excursion can be excessive and lethal to the surround and VC suspension... not to mention non-linear. I would not do it, except perhaps for a few mW on the bench to check the mid-range. Cheers, Roger
  24. Analogdino

Who here has so many speakers out of rotation???

A short while ago I acquired a Jamo model JSS6 speaker selector. Now I can compare up to six pairs in service, but only three are connected... no more room space! It's interesting to do this, but not life changing! Actually, the switch allows for two different amplifiers as well; presently set...
  25. Analogdino

Hi, All, I'm refurbishing a pair of these speakers that had been opened up by a previous owner (who is not known to me.) I found the expected components still wired correctly and all working. However, I found a lot of damping material... more than expected. In each box there are two "rolls" of...
Back
Top Bottom