Search results

1. jackgiff

Homemade turntable w/mesquite plinth

Few more pix Yeah!!! I have been thinking about how to make a dust cover. No experience with plexiglass, but what is there to lose? If I am given enough time, it will happen. A free form dust cover. It probably won't be hinged though. I think that the LAD on the tonearm stands for London...
  2. jackgiff

Homemade turntable w/mesquite plinth

It is almost finished. All that needs to be done, is to seal the tiny gap around the strobe lens with black epoxy. I have a couple hours in this piece. The plinth is made from a slice of the root ball of a mesquite tree. It has been drying in my office for about two years. The cutouts on the...
  3. jackgiff

Do coral speakers users exist here?

Coral was a large manufacturer who built OEM speakers for others, as well as complete systems. Do some searches on the web. Heres a site I just pulled up via google. http://audio-database.com/CORAL/speaker/
  4. jackgiff

Altec Santana Wiring Diagram?

You don't want to use an electrolytic capacitor in a crossover. Here is a 14 uF 250 volt film and foil unit from a respected supplier. And it is priced right. Edit: Whoops, that value is special order with a minimum order of 500 pieces. Check for other values in their line. Two caps can be...
  5. jackgiff

Accuphase P-300

Why do you think it has a bad capacitor?
  6. jackgiff

A 16ohm speaker will measure how much resistance?

The pair of FR80's that I sold on E-bay a couple years ago measured 6.1 Ohms and 6.2 Ohms. Here is a picture of one of them being measured. They are really nice drivers.
  7. jackgiff

Ewaves...finally!

Beautiful job of veneering. Boojum, those look great. You did an exceptional job of veneering with those rounded fronts. Did you use Joe's Heat Lock iron on glue?
  8. jackgiff

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Grilles finished today. On to other things.
  9. jackgiff

There are roughly 300 LP's stored in WAV format on my local area network that the computer has access to. And with 200 CD's in the CD player, a better speaker system isn't doing a golf carts job.
  10. jackgiff

New computer speakers. As always, there is the question of what to do with the latest pair of speakers. Since these sound so darn nice, and the computer speakers in my workshop office were becoming a bit long in the tooth, the choice was obvious. Here they are in their new home, powered by the...
  11. jackgiff

Another pair of EconoWaves. I must be thoroughly addicted to EconoWaves, since I just keep building them. Here is the latest pair. They use the stock <95 dB top end, while the woofers are McCauley 6222's. I traded a Marantz 4270 withAK'er gogofast for two pairs of them. I have built a few...
  12. jackgiff

Shots of my KR-9400 with custom (Ak'er) made walnut side panels

The KR 9400 is one of my favorite machines. Glad I could help make it whole again. "Mama don't 'low no nekkid Kennies 'round here!"
  13. jackgiff

Kenwood Model 4010 One Channel Dead

You have probably figured out the problem by now, but I would check that the speakers are connected properly. The layout for the left/right is not like normal receivers. Don't ask me how I know.
  14. jackgiff

Altec 846a Valencia

Driver colors? The pair of these that were bought from the factory in 1967 had green colored horns and drivers. They had stickers on the back that identified them as 846A Valencia's. The two pairs that were restored had black colored horns and drivers, with stickers on the back of one of them...
  15. jackgiff

BMS drivers are very nice indeed, and Zilch was a great proponent of them. The 4540ND however is not really ideal when reaching down to the EconoWave crossover levels of 1.6 KHz. BMS recommends a crossover of 1.9 KHz or higher, and my project using them convinced me that they are better at...
  16. jackgiff

Altec 846a Valencia

I have some 846A Valencia's. One pair was purchased at the factory in Anaheim in 1967. The other pairs were both restored by me. I had new fretwork grilles cut for the restored pairs. The wood grilles in the factory bought pair is original. Two pairs have BMS compression drivers instead of...
  17. jackgiff

Altec Lancing Iconic Valencia ?

Your description sounds like you have a pair of 846A Valencias. The grilles used on these speakers are not hard board covered with grille cloth. They are fretwork (wood in the earliest units, plastic in later units), lined with thin black cloth on the inside. They will probably be impossible to...
  18. jackgiff

JBL LE 14A......say what ??

Ah so. I stand corrected. I assumed only the first paragraph was the CL listing.
  19. jackgiff

JBL LE 14A......say what ??

I have built several pairs of EconoWave speakers using the "useless" LE14A's, and couldn't be happier with them. The pair in my avatar use them. Where did you get your information that they are "useless?"
  20. jackgiff

How does this sound so good? (stacked minimus 7's)

What is AK's motto? Sounds like someone needs to go read the AK motto at the top of the page.
  21. jackgiff

With grilles. Here they are with the grilles attached, and playing with the Nikko NR1219 receiver. My oldest son James will pick this system up next Thursday when he visits for Thanksgiving.
  22. jackgiff

I don't have the xover schematic in digital form yet, and probably never will. I can't imagine anyone is going to try to duplicate this setup. The BMS 4540ND has been shown as being problematical on other forums, and the Dayton is very low efficiency. Not an ideal combination to work with. As...
  23. jackgiff

Another pair. The Indignia, developed on another of Zilch's collaborative threads is a very impressive speaker. The woofer is only a 7 inch, but makes great bass. I wondered how a larger version would do. Plus I had a pair of BMS 4540ND compression drivers that needed a home. Thus, these...
  24. jackgiff

Do crossover caps have to be non polar?

The two small electrolytics just below the red caps are connected in series, with their positive leads connected. That makes the two of them essentially one non polar capacitor. The large electrolytic on the right doesn't seem to be similarly connected, but there may be another cap which is not...
Back
Top Bottom