Search results

1. Know_Talent

My MCD500 Arrived !!! Wow !!!

I've flown in both Lear Jets and Gulfstreams, and while owning neither of them I can give a fairly educated opinion as to where and how the two differ so please spare me the "it's the internet" rag just because I'm not singing in tune with the choir on this point. It's just one person voicing a...
  2. Know_Talent

camping out at the local sound shop While I admit I do not have much time listening to the MDA1000 I will say from what I experienced the MDA1000 creates a magic that makes an immediate and lasting impression and my longer time spent listening to the MCD500...while enjoyable...did not elicit...
  3. Know_Talent

you guys really need to lay off the McKoolaide as you're starting to sound like Chris Matthews Imo, from my listening sessions, the MCD500 is "sonically" as far from the MDA1000 as any sub $2K player is from itself. :yes: : :D
  4. Know_Talent

Are "HOT" source outputs "sleight of hand"???

If the input sensitivity of the MC501 is 4.25V would input voltage greater be wasted and therefore just serve to artifically inflate the SNR rating of the source? I realize if you are running an amp with a higher input sensitivity then that's a different story but I'm wondering about this as...
  5. Know_Talent

Oh those wonderful taps...

So the MC501 can produce 500W into an 8 ohm load off the 4 ohm posts? The transistors SOA graph dictating the Voltage & Amperage boundaries
  6. Know_Talent

So I'm still getting 500W at 8 ohms even though I'm running off the 4 ohm posts?
  7. Know_Talent

Ron, Your statement is confusing me so would you please clarify... If I'm running off my 4 ohm posts and the speakers are working in a 8 ohm portion of the impedance curve...the MC501s are producing roughly half rated output...correct???
  8. Know_Talent

Using Multiple Taps On McIntosh Amplifiers

These look like a coaster at Six Flags!!! :D
  9. Know_Talent

Esoteric X-01 D2 SACD Player

I just bought a demo NAD M5 to "snack" on while I mull over my options for a long term source. I'm hoping it will be an improvement over my 8+ yr old DV-47A :thmbsp: (It decodes HDCD as well)
  10. Know_Talent

Yes, it's built like a main battle tank:thmbsp: I like the fact they physically isolate the internal systems and have two DAC sets one having 2 AD1955s for DSD and the other 8 discrete PCM1704s to handle PCM. Playback options include DSD, DSD>PCM, PCM>DSD and PCM which allows you to choose...
  11. Know_Talent

here is what I dont understand about hi power amps

I wonder how accurate the meters are on the 501 as back when JA tested it he found it reading 50W and it was only putting out ~ 30???
  12. Know_Talent

here is what I dont understand about hi power amps

Yes, it's worth it :thmbsp: "...absolute power corrupts absolutely" :thmbsp: "...once you go Mac, you'll never go back" :D
  13. Know_Talent

MC501s driving Thiel CS7.2

I have yet to have any issues with heat on the 4 ohm posts. I listened to come classical last nite (on the 8 ohm posts) and the fins never even got warm...of course that is at ~70db to keep peace with my upstairs neighbor. I'll find out if there are heat issues or hardening of mids tomorrow...
  14. Know_Talent

anybody listened to this unit and willing to comment on its sonic attributes compared to the MDA1000 redbook and/or MCD500 SACD??? I'm thinking for $18 large it should sound pretty damn amazing!!!
  15. Know_Talent

After talking with Chuck, that's what he expects will happen once I turn the volume up. I'll find out this weekend. If it doesn't work no big deal as the 4 ohm taps sound good...and the neighbors will probably appreciate the slightly rolled off bass response:thmbsp:
  16. Know_Talent

Finally, a topless pic of the MCD500

Supposedly Stereoplay (a german audio rag ) reviewed the MCD500 and while they gave it high marks they still measured jitter at 630ps. This is strange since if you read the ESS tech sheet they claim their design is capable of producing close to no measureable jitter. I don't know how...
  17. Know_Talent

Like I mentioned earlier...listening to Stravinsky with the needles hovering steady in the 50W range (on 4 ohm taps) the swells would hit 500+W:thmbsp:
  18. Know_Talent

it shows up on my screen??? Stout looking power supply section, output uses FET input opa2134 op amps, clock module is screened, nice shielding on the transport and that little itty bitty Sabre 9008 DAC chip Still no luck, go to this link and look for "nagaesan" posts...
  19. Know_Talent

it shows up on my screen???
  20. Know_Talent

from diyaudio forums...
  21. Know_Talent

It might have been more than 90db... :D
  22. Know_Talent

:thmbsp: I believe the 111's are either 83 or 84 db eff while the CS7.2 as tested by JA is 85'ish db
  23. Know_Talent

I switched over to the 8 ohm posts last nite and the fins never even got warm after two hours at evening listening levels. Played Stanley Clark's "Bassic Collection" which has ample low end and all seemed fine. The bass is definately more articulate vs. the 4 ohm posts. The ultimate test...
  24. Know_Talent

Pics of new 1.2k's

I spy a bare front wall that is in need of some acoustic treatment :thmbsp: Are you running them off dedicated 20A or 15A outlets???
Back
Top Bottom