Search results

1. safebet

Installed Daphile last night

I put a fresh CR2032 battery and a 500 GB drive in an old Dell PC. I then installed the latest version of Daphile and am checking it out today. I'm a long time Squeezebox user and have been running PiCore player to serve tunes to clients in the house. Ten or more years ago I used Vortexbox, a...
  2. safebet

Thorens 145 with SAE 1000E

I recently bought a Thorens TD-145 turntable equipped with a Nagaoka MP110 cartridge. It performed well enough but I wanted to mount an SAE 1000E NOS recently purchased. I invested in a second headshell for the TP16 tonearm hoping to use the two interchangeably. I discovered there is a...
  3. safebet

Leaking plumbing joint

Years ago at a prior home the air expansion tank associated with my oil boiler had failed which resulted in a mess of steamy hot water in the cellar. That space was relatively isolated and unfinished but that's the not the case in my present home. I now have a similar propane water and heating...
  4. safebet

Trashed 1219, any parts I should save?

Any parts I should save from my trashed 1219? It seems the motor can be removed but any other pieces worthwhile? I’ve hung on to the box in the condition received years ago but want to leave the past behind and get my shed space back.
  5. safebet

New toy - Audio Authority switch

This was going to be tossed into a dumpster if I didn’t take it. Now I plan to use it to connect gear on my side shelf together, as time permits anyway. It basically allows selection of 16 amplifiers to 16 speakers. It uses the tape monitor loop to enable a common EQ/source and still extends...
  6. safebet

Two DCC decks failing with age

I have two DCC decks which worked last time I used them some 20 or so years ago. One is a Philips DCC-900, the other an Optimus unit. Surprisingly the transports function well and in fact inspecting each shows they employ the same mechanism. I have a few dozen blank DCC cassettes but was...
  7. safebet

Denon DR-14HX Belt size

I'd like to replace belts in the Denon DR-14HX my brother gave me. There should be only two, the capstan and one associated with reel drive. The service manual indicates part numbers but they don't appear present in the PRBline reference document or any other source I could find. 4230037001 -...
  8. safebet

12 volt battery box build

I've had this project in mind for some time and have recently completed it. It has many potential uses but it's primarily to provide phone charging and light during a power failure. It can power my Kenwood TM-V71a amatueur radio or a 12 volt portable audio rig. I wanted it to serve many needs...
  9. safebet

Create stream from analog source to play on LMS SB Touch?

Does anyone know how I could convert an analog source in my home to be played via local Squeeze players? In other words, the simplest configuration working completely within my LAN with no external connectivity. It would be available for listening 24/7. I've wanted to do this for years and...
  10. safebet

Informative videos for the AK community

We're drawn here for various reasons but share a common interest. I post this primarily for members who are relatively new to the hobby. Ethan's video at the link below may be helpful with understanding various elements related to all things audio. I find it to be highly instructive with...
  11. safebet

Video composite switch for S/PDIF

What are thoughts on using video (yellow RCA) switches for digital signals? A proper connection is a well terminated point to point 75 Ohm cable but with all my messing around this seems to work fine. A friend recently gave me his Sony system components. The way you can select video 1-4...
  12. safebet

Know anything about treadmill motors?

Our Tunturi J77P treadmill at 20 years old runs but has lost its torque. It takes very little to make it hitch and it is no longer safe to use. I just got the motor out and have access to the "brushes" which look fine. I'm guessing that there's enough wear on the stator contacts to cause the...
  13. safebet

Pioneer VSX-3300 power supply issue

I've taken my thrift store purchased Pioneer VSX-3300 off the shelf and onto the bench to see why it turns on but produces no speaker output. I had suspected (hoped) possble bias drift was preventing the output relay from engaging. Not the case. The output transistors get the normal +56 volts...
  14. safebet

Loathing Logitech, especially sticky remotes

I was happy when the Squeezebox Touch hit the market. I eventually bought one around 2012. A few years later when I realized Logitech had killed that Slimdevices lineage I watched the market and bought a spare while I could get one at a decent price. Enter 2020, possibly the worst year ever...
  15. safebet

New kid in the family - JVC 8 Track

The 8 track was never my primary tape format. Still, I've always had on my list to pick one up if nice unit crossed my path. My brother had given me his Viking unit with an Advent model 100 Dolby unit in the 90's but I foolishly discarded them. This one had been recently brought to a local shop...
  16. safebet

Allo DigiOne -> DEQ2496 -> Modi 3?

I'm considering connecting a Behringer DEQ2496 between an Allo DigiOne transport and a Modi3. The DigiOne has only BNC and coax S/PDIF outputs, the DEQ2496 has AES/EBU and Toslink only. I need the Toslink for my CD transport. Any general advice on connecting a coaxial/BNC to an AES/EBU input...
  17. safebet

Replacing motors on a Nakamichi CR-7a

I bought my CR-7a on a salesman accommodation program back around 1989. It took me almost a year to gather $850 to buy it, half retail price at the time. It's been a great deck and the only time prior I've opened it was long ago to replace the idler with the gear drive retrofit. Well storage...
  18. safebet

What heatsink compound do you recommend?

That simple. What's the best value to performance product out there? General use, for STK modules, TO-220 heat sinks, etc. Thanks in advance for your opinion.
  19. safebet

Motorola Voice of Music ceramic cartridge swap - EV 169 / Sonotone 9T

I'm servicing a Voice of Music turntable in my 1959/60 Motorola console. It currently has a Euphonics cartridge but I'd like to make an upgrade. It sounds fair and I even have spare Pfanstiehl 460-D7 styli for it but they are a pain to change. Two other cartridges i already own are shown...
  20. safebet

Billboard Magazine: 1930 to 2016 archive

Warning: Rabbit hole ahead. I posted elsewhere the Popular Electronics archive but this is for music fans. Pick a year, pick a month, pick an issue... https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Billboard-Magazine.htm Whatever you do don't check out any of the other countless archives. Seriously...
  21. safebet

Rasberry Pi OS choice to run Wine and Winamp?

Looking specifically to run Winamp version 2.91 on a Rasberry Pi 3 model B. It will be headless (no monitor/keyboard/mouse) once configured. No internet, no Ethernet, just playback of FLAC and mp3 files from USB flash storage. The intention is to replicate a headless PC (Windows XP) already...
  22. safebet

Eico 625 chart wheel gear needed

Hi all. In the off chance someone has an Eico 625 tube tester in their junk pile I'm in need of the chart wheel thumb wheel. It seems to be a short shaft with a gear to contact both scroll sheets and a larger wheel to protrude out the face of the unit. All are missing but the unit is otherwise...
  23. safebet

DL-110 static pops in right channel?

I'm having a first time experience (no, not that one) with a Denon DL-110 on a Technics SL-D3 table. While listening a couple of nights ago a loud crackle would occur randomly in the right channel. These are records I've previously played with no such noise. Last night I swapped the phono...
  24. safebet

Realistic CD-1400 back home

I gave my second ever CD player to my brother in the early 90's along with a STA-240 receiver. It was discovered in the back of a cellar cabinet when he moved recently. Kind of cool to see it with my first cassette deck and Onkyo. I do miss the silver stuff. Amazing too that the tray works...
  25. safebet

Using Dynaco Mark IV pair after 25 years of storage

I have a set of NOS Mark IV's that came from Sound Values back in the 1980's. They were used with my Spica TC-50's and an M&K powered subwoofer for several years without issue. I moved, switched systems and boxed the amps for storage. I've pretty much used only solid state amplification since...
Back
Top Bottom