Search results

1. Jailtime

2220B FM tuner issues

Have a 2220B on the bench with some FM tuner issues. FM audio is very quiet, that is until I test the collector of H205 with my voltmeter. That brings the audio up to a normal level. Voltages on the IF board look normal. No stereo or FM tuning meter deflection at all. Seems to me the...
  2. Jailtime

2330B - Where's this wire go?

Was working on my 2330B when I noticed this gray wire loose near the tone control board. One end is soldered to JH19 on tape monitor/filter board. Other end, who knows. I can't find where it may have snapped off, and can't seem to trace it on the schematic.
  3. Jailtime

Project ideas - Aurum Cantus G1

I have a pair of Aurum Cantus G1 ribbons here, need some project ideas for them. Basic specs on the ribbons - 900-40KHz freq response, 2KHz recommended xover, 102dB/1W/1m sensitivity, 7"x4" dimensions. I'd like to build some fairly small boxes, think EPI 100 size or so. Don't need more big...
  4. Jailtime

This poor 2330B

This one just showed up today in need of some TLC, hope I can save it. It's generally grungy, but it's all there and straight. Doesn't come out of protection, but passes the DBT fine, and filters have good voltages. Shouldn't be too tough a fix. Maybe you noticed the big problem with this...
  5. Jailtime

Showing off some recent restorations

Just wanted to share some pics of recent restorations I've finished up. The 1152DC is nearly perfect, as nice as I've ever seen a vintage integrated amp. For some reason, I see lots of beat up DC series amps. I built the figured maple sides, they're inspired by the factory wood case design...
  6. Jailtime

1152DC problem child

Got an 1152DC on the bench now, it's giving me the run around. With the preamp engaged, the right channel has unstable DC offset (about 50mV fluctuation). The right channel also has a low level pop/fizz noise in the speaker, not affected by volume or input. Left is quiet. With the pre...
  7. Jailtime

Jbmorrey - great seller

Big thumbs up for Jbmorrey. :thumbsup: Packs well, ships fast.
  8. Jailtime

Jailtime's vintage/modern mashup

Here's the latest iteration of my system. I'm digging the little 1950s Heywood-Wakefield tables, they look great and are rock solid. They're the most recent addition to my rig. I've had the speakers for a while now, cabinets are a design by dnewma04, and loaded with AE Lambda TD15M drivers...
  9. Jailtime

First (and maybe last) phono stage

Took me long enough, but I finally found a phono stage that meets my needs. I wanted something versatile enough to handle MM and MC cartridges, and made in North America. This modified Sutherland Engineering PhD should do the trick. It has boards that convert it to a heavily filtered DC...
  10. Jailtime

2330 has me stumped

I'm working on a 2330 that had been previously hacked up. As a baseline, it did work and had acceptable DC offset after I repaired the preamp that was missing parts. I rebuilt the amplifiers and part of the power supply today. Previous tech had installed MJE15030 transistors, a new relay, and...
  11. Jailtime

4400 puzzler

I restored my 4400 a while back, worked great as you would expect from a restored receiver. I recently moved, and the 4400 was packed well enough that it wasn't visibly damaged. I put it in my system for the first time since the move, and it's broke. Here's the deal, all inputs sound weak in...
  12. Jailtime

2275 - FM tuner static only

Took in an ailing 2275 recently, the FM tuner is nothing but static across the whole dial, no meter deflection. AM tuner works fine, but doesn't drive the signal strength meter. I've started tracking things down in hopes of fixing it. First thing, I only have 10.2V from the power supply where...
  13. Jailtime

RCA mono amp conversion for guitar

I have this little RCA RS164A mono amp, had a nasty hum when I first brought it up on the variac. A new can cap fixed that right up, now it sounds pretty good. It has a 5Y3GT, a pair of 6V6GT, a 6CG7, and a 6AV6. The controls are volume, bass, and treble. I'd like to build a little guitar or...
  14. Jailtime

Looking for a phono stage

I've made some changes to my system, moving the Fisher 500C out has left me without capability to listen to my records. The 500C is likely the best phono stage I've had, so I'd say there's room for improvement there. Current system is AE Lambda TD15M with Altec 802-8G/511B on top for speakers...
  15. Jailtime

Engraved 2215 - Restoration

This should be a fun little project, first time I've had an engraved Marantz in my hands. Sure is a pretty thing, and heavy too, especially considering its 15W rating. There's plenty of troublesome 2SC458s in this one, they will all find a new home in the round file. Check out the carnage in...
  16. Jailtime

2220B tuner troubleshoot

I'm restoring a 2220B that has some tuner problems. On first inspection, the FM tuning needle would not center, it would swing on the left side of the scale only. The FM muting switch would kill all audio, even a strong station. I did some research and found that tweaking L201 could fix the...
  17. Jailtime

FedEx dropped off some good boxes today

Here's some boxes - :biggrin: Let's see what's inside them - Slightly used Quicksilver Audio Mid Monos, 40W with the EL34s. There's Mullard XF2s in one amp, and a GE with a National Electronics in the other amp. They can use 6550s and KT90s to make a bit more power, up to 60W...
  18. Jailtime

Quick 'n fun restoration - 2216B

I wanted to do an easy and relaxing restoration after wrestling a 4400 around on my bench for a month. I've never restored or even heard a "B" model Marantz with the silver dial face, so I snagged this nice little 2216B. Had some nasty spitting and popping in both channels, bit worrying with...
  19. Jailtime

wlhd1610 - Good deals!

Just a quick word of thanks for Bob (wlhd1610), bought a Marantz receiver from him. It was packed to withstand impact from small artillery, nice to see after all the newspaper wad packing from Ebay sellers. Good communication too. :thumbsup:
  20. Jailtime

500C - 7591 killer

I restored this 500C a few years ago. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/not-messin-around-anymore-500c-rebuild.545832/. It was pretty happy with a set of matched EH7591s, but I wore those out after 3 solid years of listening. Decided to try a set of the new production Tung Sol...
  21. Jailtime

Wrecked and blown up 4400 - Resurrection

I won this 4400 a few months ago, seller said everything worked, just needed some TLC. Sure looked nice in the pictures, working scope and all. That's until it was poorly packed and damaged in transit, 1" total of bubble wrap surrounded with air pillows don't cut it for a 4400. I noticed a...
  22. Jailtime

Quick DIY speaker build

I knocked these little speakers together just to give some drivers I had sitting around a try. They sound good enough that I wish I would have made them look better. Built with 3/4 MDF, .35 cu ft, ported and tuned to 70 Hz. Drivers are a full range Frazier 4", also used in early Bose 901s...
  23. Jailtime

I should have known better

I took my Cadillac to the dealer today for some service I couldn't tackle myself. The car was nice 'n clean when I dropped it off, I am meticulous in detailing my V. I failed to tell them to not wash the car because it was already clean. Came back to pick up the car, it was a cloudy day, so I...
  24. Jailtime

My vintage/modern mashup, now with tubes 'n horns!

This rig has been in the making for the last few years. I had the Fisher and the horns sitting idle since about 2009, so I decided to actually finish up some of my projects. This is the result, pretty much a 180 from the direction of my old rig. Previous system here -...
  25. Jailtime

Help dial in this room!

Here's couple pictures of my "listening" room. As you can see, my room is almost hopeless for any sort of treatment. It's 12' wide, 9' ceilings, 19' to the stairs, and 23' all the way to the back wall. So, given the stairs, half the room is 23' deep, the other is 19'. Don't have a mirror...
Back
Top Bottom