Search results

1. HypnoToad

"These Are Not The Woofers Were Looking For"

I looked at these and thought they might be good until I looked online and all the pairs I saw had woofers with a different mounting method. The ones in these look like they came from a cheaper set of Pioneer speakers. The originals have a Polymer Graphite cone with a huge voice coil...
  2. HypnoToad

Kids and B&W Speakers

Do you think B&W should change the design of their speakers as it seems that kids just can't keep away from them. I see so many pairs for sale like the pair pictured below for sale locally, the seller upfront about the damage, the problem is it's impossible to get replacement tweeters for older...
  3. HypnoToad

Is This A Jilted Wife's Sale Or A Scam?

Noticed this ad appear on Gumtree (Australia's Craigslist). Looking at the Naim amp and CD player that cost around a total of $4,000 new here in Australia and a pair of what look like KEF IQ series speakers add another couple of grand? Scam or wife selling her ex's gear to get back at him? Not...
  4. HypnoToad

Ever Seen These Dynaudio Speakers?

Are these genuine Dynaudio, the drivers look like they are, what model would they be if they were. Never seen a back like that on Dynaudio's. The old no way of testing, AS IS, sounds very dodgy to me. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/patterson-lakes/speakers/dynaudio-speakers/1229607500
  5. HypnoToad

Yamaha AVR Multi Channel Inputs?

I see a gazillion Yamaha AVR's for sale locally cheap, I want to build 3 way active speakers and have a design for a 3 way analog active crossover. I see these 7.1 AVR's with what they call "multi-channel" inputs. So using the two front, two side and two rear amps it gives me the 6 I require for...
  6. HypnoToad

Focal Alpha 65 Active Monitors Anyone?

We mainly listen to music in our bedroom and wondering if these would be ideal, I have a pair of vintage B&W DM1400 floor standers in there but are way too powerful and with all the damping have too much low end. Was looking for something smaller but with still good sound stage and imaging...
  7. HypnoToad

Just Got Ubuntu - Fantastic But Have a Question

I got a Topping D30 Dac a couple of weeks ago and have it connected to an old PC in my bedroom system, it seemed to work fine with Windows XP then mp3's would seize up after a while at random. I tried different players and they all did the same. So I thought I would upgrade the OS, put Windows...
  8. HypnoToad

The Placebo Affect Maybe Not Your Imagination

I recently watched a documentary on a trial to test the placebo affect, sorry it was on Foxtel so I can't link to it here. But essentially what they found was that if someone believes they are getting a drug or treatment say for pain relief they have the same responses in the brain as if they...
  9. HypnoToad

Need 10A Through Hole Current Transformer CT, 1000:1

I have the plans for a Full Wave Motor Speed Controller in Silicon Chip Magazine. http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2018/March I have a BOM for all the parts but can't get this one: https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/current-transformers/7754928/ It won't be available until July, is there...
  10. HypnoToad

How Accurate are Mega328 Transistor Testers

I bought one of those Mega328 testers off Ebay and it works a treat, it seems very accurate on resistance and capacitance when comparing the values to my Tenma DMM. I wanted it to test some inductors which the Tenma can't do and they are all reading around 0.05mH low compared with their...
  11. HypnoToad

Vintage VS Newer Yamaha's

I have a nice CR-1020 which needs some work, it's developed a hum after running for a while, which disappears if you switch it off and on again, I recapped the main capacitor board but didn't bother with the PSU board, so while I'm procrastinating about opening it up again I saw a nice RX-570...
  12. HypnoToad

I Was Really Interested In Technics SBX500 Until

I always wanted a pair of these to try even though I've never heard them, and got excited when I saw the ad until I see the tweeters have been swapped out, hmmm, wonder if it would be worth it to buy these and try and source some tweeters...
  13. HypnoToad

Why Didn't Someone Tell Me Audacity Is So Easy To Use?

Or why did it take me so long to catch on, I feel like a real drip. After watching a quick tutorial on YouTube I can now divide audio into named tracks so they can be burned onto a CD, it's awesome.
  14. HypnoToad

Emotiva ERC-2 CD Player Eject Problem

I bought an ERC-2 while in the US years ago from someone on Barter Town, they already had a few CD players, I used it a few times after purchase without a problem, but since we moved back to Australia it's been in the box not being used for a few years, I got it out yesterday and fired it up...
  15. HypnoToad

Burson V5i Op Amp Review

Burson (No Affiliation) sent me a pair of V5i's to try out in the AD797 phono stage. The AD797 started out as a cheap easy to build phono stage and has evolved into something that provides great performance for little cost. It centered around the AD797 op amp which is very very low noise and...
  16. HypnoToad

Found These On Side of Road - Surprising Sound

I remember these speakers that came with those basic record players, HMV was a well known brand here in Australia, they must have sold tons of these. I picked them up thinking I could use them in the garage as test speakers, one didn't work but it was just a loose connection on the speaker...
  17. HypnoToad

Pioneer SX-20 Stereo Reciever Any Good?

I want to get a new cheap stereo receiver to use in another system, 50wpc + with acceptable sound quality, at this stage I am tired of picking up vintage gear as people here want a fortune and I often end up with problems down the track. I can pick this up new here in Australia cheaply, most...
  18. HypnoToad

Where Did All The Whizzers Go?

Anyone know of new or easy to obtain speakers around 8" with whizzers? I remember they had them in a lot of home console stereos. They were cheap efficient and were good bang for your buck, not the ultimate in HiFi I know but for a cheap pair of speakers pretty good.
  19. HypnoToad

Name Brand Amps Not Quoting RMS Anymore?

I happened to be looking at some new stereo amps, Pioneer and Yamaha for a start, they seem to have gone the way of the home theater receivers and not quoting output in RMS anymore. An example from Yamaha: Maximum Output Power :70 W + 70 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD) What 6 ohms? 10% THD? What...
  20. HypnoToad

Help Needed with Transistor Voltage Regulation

I have a NAD receiver and want to switch out the old NJM2043 op amp with a newer model but the catch is it's getting + & - 17.5vdc and that's a bit close to the max of most modern ones. I want to drop the voltage down to around + & - 15vdc. My question for someone more knowledgeable is, it has...
  21. HypnoToad

A Street Cat Named Bob

A great film how a pet can change your path in life, and how they don't judge you for who you are. Based on the international best selling book. The true feel good story of how James Bowen, a busker and recovering drug addict, had his life transformed when he met a stray ginger cat...
  22. HypnoToad

Legend of Grimrock - Custom Dungeons

Being an old fan of Dungeon Master, I found Legend of Grimrock a very similar dungeon type game for the PC. Now next to the original DM it's light years ahead in the graphics department and comes with an editor to make your own dungeons. I love this thing and thanks to others who have designed...
  23. HypnoToad

Janszen Z-40 ESL Hybrids

These were my dream speakers when I first heard them back in the late 70's. Old add but may be still for sale. http://buffalo.craigslist.org/ele/5680985747.html No Affiliation!
  24. HypnoToad

Ebay/Craigslist Buzzword Cross Reference

Probably been done before but thought we could compose a list of buzz words / catch phrases and what they really mean: Seller refurbished - Gave it a quick clean Holly Grail - You will have to pay what the real Holly Grail would be worth The Legend - The seller is one if he gets his asking...
  25. HypnoToad

The Holy Grail?

Looks to me like a pair of speakers, very good ones, they should sell for a bit: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Carlsson-OA-51-Speakers-post-Sonab-ScanSpeak-THE-Holy-Grail-/201649651951?hash=item2ef34180ef:g:i3IAAOSw6n5Xtlrb No Affiliation!
Back
Top Bottom