Search results

1. austi15

Maybe it's maple-y

Refinished a $20 thrift store walnut dresser, made new 3x6x6" solid walnut feet out of old countertop. No rattles with lots of bass! Standing desk is the 3/4" top of a $20 maple ethan allen desk over 1/2" ply, rear "leg" is 1.25" pine from my grandparents kitchen table, complete with the...
  2. austi15

Maybe it's maple-y

Yep, the room is insulated with 5.5" of stone wool (7.5" in ceiling) and the door has a 360 degree seal so it's very cheap to heat and cool. The cylinder is a carbon air filter connected to the exposure timer that looks like a clock, it filters out stone wool dust and cat hair. Living in exposed...
  3. austi15

Maybe it's maple-y

Thanks! You wouldn't happen to know ak member @vinyldavid by chance?
  4. austi15

Maybe it's maple-y

A keen eye my friend! That is an enail I made (just a omron controller in a hammond project enclosure with a switchcraft 120v switch and a neutrik 5 pin) to vaporise CBD isolate for my cervical stenosis. Certainly used for nothing else!
  5. austi15

Maybe it's maple-y

A shelf to replace the oak one (other thing is a cutting board made of old drawers for the friend who gave me the piece) with mahogany strips. Also a closeup of the audio centerpiece. The shelf was meant to mount atop the centerpiece but it works better on the wall.
  6. austi15

Maybe it's maple-y

I appreciate that Bill! Trying to get as much detail as possible into mostly simple forms is lots of fun, all the projects started with entirely different concepts in mind and each one aggravates the heck out of me when first built until I figure out what it needs to be "right". Strangely (or...
  7. austi15

Maybe it's maple-y

It does! I did 60x60" frames for my back wall (10' ceiling) and they can be retensioned with a staplegun in the gaps. Fresh stretching provides new material so it can be done repeatedly without being obvious.
  8. austi15

Maybe it's maple-y

The canvas ceiling hasn't been a dust issue yet, it only requires occasional spot treatment with a lint roller for cat fur, but the grill cloth walls eat dust up. My air filter blower is aimed upwards and shakes debris/deadbugs down. If it's resilient against stretching when vacuumed and porous...
  9. austi15

Maybe it's maple-y

Oh and the brass pulls used on the desk pieces are kbc brass company from the years my great grandpa was the head polisher (uh, chief polisher?) at kbc. So a bit of familial connection to them.
  10. austi15

Maybe it's maple-y

I've been living in a tiny house I built 8 years ago. I started a thread about it in 2018 but much has changed. The speakers are: Lab15s tuned to 30hz in 1.5" MDF, bottom ported Deltalite 10s in similar cabs (both subs and midbasses ended up with the same 4" precision ports) Seos-12s with DE250s...
  11. austi15

Happy Birthday austi15!

Thank you so much AK friends!!!!! I hope you're all safe and doing well!
  12. austi15

UDIO-8 AES-EBU to SPDIF?

Awesome, thank you!
  13. austi15

UDIO-8 AES-EBU to SPDIF?

Boomp
  14. austi15

UDIO-8 AES-EBU to SPDIF?

Bumpity Bumpity!
  15. austi15

UDIO-8 AES-EBU to SPDIF?

Hello denizens of the digital den! My quest has led me to you. I have a MiniDSP UDIO-8 with AES XLR outputs. I need to convert these to SPDIF RCA. Yes, I should have bought the correct UDIO, but this one was 1/5th the price! I read conflicting information online. It seems the three differences...
  16. austi15

DC power supply letting AC through

Welp, the filter caps were a little out of spec but possibly within tolerance (about 15%?), replaced them anyway. Good meter shows clean, bad meter no change so I guess the caps were fine. No issues with a few hours listening, but sticking with 24v to try out a battery rig hehe. Thanks again for...
  17. austi15

Awesome, adjusted it properly and have them running off 24v wallwarts. I have no objective way of telling, but it sounds better than the 19v for sure. A nightmare into a free upgrade lol. Thanks for all the help guys! I'll update this thread when I have the 19v units working as a resource for...
  18. austi15

Spoke too soon, not a good meter, reads 3v out of a AA lol, will update when stupid is resolved.
  19. austi15

This is reassuring, a few switching PSUs I know are good do the same thing on this meter. I hooked up a 24v PS to one amp and tried to set DC value up to 12v as per Pass's suggestion. Initially a known good meter read 4 volts....it's supposed to read 10v. Adjusting the pot doesn't change it. I...
  20. austi15

Good idea, I'm going to check when I get home. I don't have a scope, but I do have a friend who just got one, I'll see if I can use it.
  21. austi15

Well shoot, today the other power supply started doing the same thing. Immediately pulled it and exact same AC 30v, 14v, 1.7v rinse repeat. Could a power surge have fried the small regulator caps you mentioned in both PSUs? It's interesting that they both develop the same exact problem right...
  22. austi15

Very coherent explanation, thank you! Given the low component count and their dubious quality I think I'll replace all the caps and the rectifier.
  23. austi15

Oh crap, I'm glad I took it out! Thank you for the information! Would a linear power supply have a similar such network?
  24. austi15

Hi everyone! I run Pass ACA monoblocks (19v versions) off a pair of those ubiquitous 19v/5a Chinese linear PSUs. They feed B&C compression drivers directly with no resistor or cap through SEOS-12s. Normally there is no hiss or noise from the amps. This morning I heard a faint noise reminiscent...
  25. austi15

Using silver for speaker wire

This is the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks! Leaning towards sticking with OFC now and putting that money somewhere it will provide real improvements.
Back
Top Bottom