Search results

1. Hifirob2

MCS 3543 Cassette Deck - Worth Keeping?

I looked online for the specs, but couldn't find them. - and I don't have this model in any of my catalogs. Just eyeballing the transport parts, it doesn't give me any confidence that it's capable of great playback - let alone recording - quality. As far as MCS tape decks go, this model was...
  2. Hifirob2

MCS 3543 Cassette Deck - Worth Keeping?

I bought a 3573 years ago because it looked brand new. It worked ok for a while, then the tape one side stopped working (a belt issue). This model was from late 1986 and was made by Sharp (the same as their RT-1120) - after they moved production from Japan to Korea. To me, this deck is a...
  3. Hifirob2

NEC CD650 CD Player . . . opinions??

My CD-810s were made the first half of 1987. Mine probably had a ton of hours on them before I got them, but the part of the board with the main power supply was super cramped - with no vents under or on top for heat dissipation. Lots of obvious heat damage around the components - beyond help...
  4. Hifirob2

Don't feel too bad about the CD-810. I had two of them, and they both had serious issues - most all related to the power supply portion of the board. It was so cramped in there, and gave off so much heat (with no way to really dissipate it) - that it fried both units - before I got my hands on...
  5. Hifirob2

I had a couple of them arrive non-working because of transport damage. After that I would only have ones with the original screws shipped. I would guess that securing the transport from the inside would be a great idea. I'd avoid peanuts, though. If they break apart in transit, little...
  6. Hifirob2

Yes, and yes.
  7. Hifirob2

I don't have easy access to mine - it's in storage in one of my closets. I do remember that having it shipped (and it's little brother the CD500) was very tricky, as the transport needs to be locked down (with two unique screws) before shipping. If the seller has the correct screws installed...
  8. Hifirob2

I'm not sure what the uPD6352 chip does. The SM may have an error, or there may be different versions of this player for different markets - or they made changes during production, but the CD650 models that I (and dubliftment) own have the PCM56P DACs. It's wonderful sounding player, and to...
  9. Hifirob2

MCS Rack System

Nice to see another complete first generation Japan -made system with the original rack. Cool & rare.
  10. Hifirob2

The Mighty NEC A-10II Integrated

MCS only got the version of the NEC AUA-7300 - the MCS 3850 - which is nothing remarkable, but still a very good integrated. Curtis Mathes got the AUA-8300 - so that's easier to find in the states - but still very rare.
  11. Hifirob2

What MCS Receivers are quality NEC?

The MCS 3248 is a rebadged NEC AUR-8045E. The MCS version lacked the digital frequency display, but added a wood case. No Modular Components System receiver was made by Technics. Technics did supply many MCS TTs & speakers.
  12. Hifirob2

Cool. I have a 6720, and it is so reliable, I really like it. It's nice never having to worry about any speed variations.
  13. Hifirob2

It should be a sticker with a three digit number....like 803 (for example). The first digit is the last number of the year, and the second two numbers are the month. It doesn't designate the decade, so 803 could be March of 1978, 1988, or 1998. Also look at the info. on the rear panel as to...
  14. Hifirob2

Ah...I think I've come across that model in an old catalog - where they use only the catalog number, and not the model number. Look for a date code sticker on the rear panel. I'd bet it dates to the early 1990s. No MCS receiver from 1980-82 came with a remote, and the "Digital 5000 Series"...
  15. Hifirob2

I haven't heard of that model. Can you post some pictures of it?
  16. Hifirob2

I heard its sound. Now im a believer. The mcs (nec) 3260

Other than the wood case on the MCS version, they are identical.
  17. Hifirob2

MCS 3245 q-u-e-s-t-i-o-n-s-?

There are a few NEC made MCS models that have "ITO" on the service manual where "NEC" should be. I've only found it on MCS models that were exclusively made for Penney's, and there was no matching NEC model. ITO could have stood for Itoh, who supposedly made some of the Taiwan pieces - but...
  18. Hifirob2

Looking for fellow NEC AUA 8000e owners!

You may try checking completed listings on ebay or shopgoodwill.com. They don't pop up too often, so it's hard to nail down a reliable value.
  19. Hifirob2

Woo Hoo! I always like happy endings.
  20. Hifirob2

If you got sound out of one side, then I would give it another round of deoxit - for all the switches. Sometimes, these old NEC pieces need three rounds of switch cleaning before they come to life. Some of the pots are not easy to get to in order to properly clean. I know the...
  21. Hifirob2

Fingers crossed that it's the fuses, then. Usually, the phono shorting plugs go missing after all this time, so it's nice that they are still there.
  22. Hifirob2

Also be sure to check that the pre out/main in jumpers are in place on the back panel.
  23. Hifirob2

That's a great deal. I hope you like it. Here's a video a friend sent me this morning about the AUA-8000E: I added a NEC version to my collection some years back (had it shipped from Canada to California), and I really like the matte black face. I swapped it's face with a silver MCS 3865 -...
  24. Hifirob2

If it all works, $50 is a great (Really Great) price. It weighs about 33 lbs., so shipping can be high. Also, I'd ask him to pack it well - all the weight is in the rear, so the back corners can get dinged up if not packed really well.
  25. Hifirob2

How many gangs in this tuner?

If I remember, it's 1.5mm Allen wrench, and there are two set screws.
Back
Top Bottom