Search results

1. J

Who's listening with headphones tonight? To what?

Listening to Keb Mo on my Sennheiser HD600 and Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P headphone amp. Sounds excellent.
  2. J

Do you buy for looks or performance?

I always find it amusing when someone says they know what most McIntosh owners do or don't do when it comes to gear purchases and ownership. I have known any number of McItosh owners who have moved to other manufacures equipment after years with McIntosh. These folks have moved to Meridian...
  3. J

Should I plug the Mac amp directly to an outlet

htsource.......One of the best things you can do to protect your audio equipment, including amplifiers, from surges is to protect your entire house circuitry by installing a panel mounted surge arrestor. A good industrial strength surge arrestor will keep you from having to use the rinky-dink...
  4. J

How good c220 preamplifier is?

enrique.......My opinion is the C220 offers an excellent value. Find one in good condition used, and it represents an incredible value. Once you hear it in your system, you will wonder why you waited so long.
  5. J

What causes an amp to clip?

bystander.......Victor hit the nail on the head. Even though Power Guard is keeping the output of your amplifer under 1% THD at full rated output, that full rated output could be more power than your speakers can handle. Some speakers can handle high power on an instantaneous basis, but long...
  6. J

VERY basic questions about bridging to mono...

bystander.......I understand how easy it is to get confused about this. You are correct, each amp has 1, 2, 4, and 8 ohm taps, but when this amp is paralleled for 400 watts mono, those taps are half of that value. In mono, the highest impedence tap will be 4 ohms, not 8. Connecting an 8 ohm...
  7. J

MC275 just blew a fuse

My suggestion, replace all power tubes, not just the bad one.
  8. J

My first Mac

Audio Classics sells boxes for double boxing McIntosh gear. Ask them about it.
  9. J

braminator.......There is no danger of clipping a McIntosh amplifier with Power Guard. When the Power Guard lights begin to flash it is telling you that input voltage is being reduced to keep output power under 1% THD. It is one of the many great benefits of owning McIntosh power amplifiers.
  10. J

bystander.......Remember that each of the speaker taps, which are marked 1, 2, 4, and 8 ohms will become .5, 1, 2, and 4 ohm taps, in other words when operating the amp in mono each speaker tap is one half of what is printed by each terminal. Your amplifier will output 400 watts into a 4 ohm...
  11. J

lordgarth.......I think you are correct. I could not find an owner's manual for the MC2205, but I did find several diagrams that showed earlier McIntosh amps of the same configuration. The input for mono was the right channel, but the output for mono was the left channel with the positive...
  12. J

MDA1000 and a Mac Mini

kitjunkie.......I have had good results using glass fiber optic cables. There is a school of thought that fiber has a higher jitter rate than a quality 75 ohm coaxial cable, but since all the digital inputs on the MDA1000 are reclocked in the MDA, I believe you will get excellent audio from the...
  13. J

Ryan.......That would be an inside track. My information was limited to what I read in the manual. The MC2000 must be a beast in a mono configuration.
  14. J

The lead dog never whines. He has the best view, and the freshest air. That's why everyone wants to be there. In my opinion, McIntosh has led the pack for 60 years.
  15. J

Caspyr.......The MC2000 power amplifier cannot be bridged mono. I just finished reading the MC2000 owner's manual, and there is no provision shown or mentioned for bridging this amp.
  16. J

bystander.......You will double your output power by running your amps in mono. On the back of the amp you will find the stereo/mono switch. When the switch is in the mono position only the right channel input and right channel speaker output are used for mono operation. You will not need...
  17. J

Caspyr.......Great Answer.
  18. J

braminator.......I am assuming you are speaking of a McIntosh amplifier with the Power Guard circuit. Those lights flashing are not an indicator that the amplifier is clipping. In fact, you can not clip a McIntosh amplifier with Power Guard. What the lights are telling you is that the Power...
  19. J

Every manufacturer designs for eye appeal, as well as performance. That is not exclusive to McIntosh. Some go to greater lengths and expense for form and function. Take the Ayre MX-R mono amp, and KX-R preamp as an example. They start life as 45 blocks of aircraft grade aluminum, and are CNC...
  20. J

MA6900 or MA6600 for B&W CM1?

Another nice advantage of the MA6900 is the five band equalizer, and loudness compensation, neither of which the MA6600 offers.
  21. J

Where do you buy on-line Pre-Owned McIntosh-?

I have purchased several McIntosh items from Audio Classics, a NOS C2200, a NOS MC352, a used MR85, and MC275 MkV, both arrived in perfect condition looking brand new. I have also sold them McIntosh gear. There was never a problem, always a class act, and fair pricing, especially when you...
  22. J

New to McIntosh solid state...leave on?

For over 40 years I owned and enjoyed Mcintosh gear. I have never left the gear on when not it us. I have not noticed the solid state Mac equipment sounded better after an hour on, than after five minutes on. I prefer to save the kilawatts.
  23. J

McIntosh Integrated with Remote?

wanderfowl.......You might consider the McIntosh 4300V receiver. It has six inputs, that include two tape monitors, and a very nice moving magnet phono stage. The 4300V outputs 100 watts per channel into 4 or 8 ohms, and has remote control. I bought mine new in 1988, and it is still a great...
  24. J

McCrack ... I can't turn the darn thing off

Since I installed the C1000P in my main system, I have been in the same boat, just cannot seem to shut off my sound system. I've had a Netflix movie, Absence of Malice for three weeks, and haven't watched it yet. I find the McIntosh sound system so much more enjoyable. I'm not searching for a...
  25. J

MR88 Tuner

Yes, absolutely. A new rack for the new home in Aspen. Oh Yea! :D All those movie stars need high-end systems, too.
Back
Top Bottom